Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:32 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
Or we could just all stop paying. If we ALL stop they can't do anything about it.
Well, how about compromising by everyone paying max of 5K, that's all. Still high, but a cut for most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 06:42 PM

186 posts, read 713,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
Quite a flawed statement...

Passing anything goes Budget = bloated salaries = higher taxes = decrease in house value = no change in school quality.

By that reasoning, we could assume that if we raise taxes 20% every year, our schools would be top 1% and our house values would be in the stratosphere.... Unfortunately we have hit the point of diminishing returns
You conveniently left out the part about the 3 - 5% increase... it kind of frames my point.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:52 PM

400 posts, read 761,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You guys need to just take pitchforks and march to Hempstead.

What happened to the more interesting home renovation threads that I used to read about?

Every other thread now on the LI forum is about taxes, illegals and North Carolina.
When we are angry we complain about taxes, when we are happy, we renovate our homes.... We finally realized that all that renovating raised our taxes even more.. now when we get happy, we immediately get angry

Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gem301 View Post
I believe every person who contributes to a union has the right to have collective bargining. Without that tool employers are able to preety much treat the empolyee's in sometimes an unfair manner. Employees basically don't have rights. Yes some unions are better than others but lets stick to the basics. Our financial problems on long island stem from complete greed on both ends. Teachers deserve to paid a decent salary. Lets not forget they teach our youth! If concessions must be made lets all make them not just civil servants who do the jobs many wouldn't consider doing.
You mean treat them within the laws which are written to protect employees already who do not have unions. BTW, what happens to the rest of the populus outside of the union business. All but 1 person I know in private sectors seem to get along without one, everyone I know in public sector magically needs a union.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 PM

113 posts, read 129,520 times
Default There is limit to everything

Just paying more in property taxes is not going to improve the schools when your money is just getting used to pay for the ever increasing need to fund pension and other benefits in addition to salary. Its had reached tipping point where paying any more taxes is not going to bring in any value. Class sizes with keep going bigger and teachers will be laid off each year and those remaining will have fun !

New York, Long Island Taxes: New York's property tax nightmare

And as the property taxes increase the affordability goes down and so goes the house prices. We already have issue with home prices going down due to bubble prices, foreclosed house and shadow inventory. This increase in property taxes is fuel to fire. In schools enrollments are down and spending going up each year. Last year average increase was 3.4% and this year proposal is 3.9% and it will go on forever.

New York, Long Island Taxes: Proposed school budgets for 2011-2012

Get your facts here and Please support tax cap !

New York, Long Island Taxes: Property Tax Cap, failure is not an option

Go ahead and say NO in your budget vote but its not going to save you from bullying school districts and they will use the contingency budget and force you to pay anyway.

New York, Long Island Taxes: Budget Vote and What is Contingency Budget

But do go to VOTE and save as much as you can and have you voice heard !

New York, Long Island Property Taxes, skyrocketing debt

Old 04-29-2011, 05:30 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonPhishn View Post
I vote to pass the school budgets. Simple equation... Passing Budget = good schools = higher house value. If I can't afford the 3-5% increase each year, then I'm doing something wrong in my career.
Do realize that 3-5% is above the CPI for the past few years and it mostly goes to teachers salaries and benefits. I guess some of the new college grads that looking for homes elswhere than Long Island aren’t quite as happy with those tax increases.

The taxpayers in Central Islip must be absolutely delirious with the teachers contract that grants 9% annual raises, just imagine how that's going to increase their home prices! I think there just might be an error in your simple equation.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
You conveniently left out the part about the 3 - 5% increase... it kind of frames my point.
Just to note, your simple formula didnt include 3-5%, There is also a question of what is right and what is wrong here.....

You may be getting 3-5% increase in your school taxes, but that may equate to an overall increase in benefits/salaries of much more to the teachers/administrators.

When you are in a down economy and everyone else is getting -3%, 0% and 2-3% raises, and you have to pay a 3-5% property tax increase, its like you are taking a salary cut to support raises and pensions that far exceed what should be given.

Your paying for something blindly and thinking your getting something you are not.... Just because it has been going on for years and noone noticed, doesnt make it right... The unions will tell you this all the time... Its Wall street that did this.. and now they are getting hammered.. but its wall street who caused it, and as an effect, it shined a light on what was actually happening

Old 04-29-2011, 07:28 AM

131 posts, read 300,234 times
Quote:
If I can't afford the 3-5% increase each year, then I'm doing something wrong in my career.
If you have a job that gives you a minimum 3-5% annual increase then, you obviously do not work for private enterprise.

Since you base value in proportion to price (thinking that paying more for taxes equals better education), I can sell you a 1972 Ford Pinto I just inherited for 10K. If I am selling it for 10K, it must be worth at least that much. Interested?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
If you have a job that gives you a minimum 3-5% annual increase then, you obviously do not work for private enterprise.

Since you base value in proportion to price (thinking that paying more for taxes equals better education), I can sell you a 1972 Ford Pinto I just inherited for 10K. If I am selling it for 10K, it must be worth at least that much. Interested?
fyi-- 3-5% increase in real property taxes is not equiv to 3-5% salary increase....

unless your taxes ar ethe same as your salary... either way, your pinto is a great deal

Old 04-29-2011, 09:15 AM

131 posts, read 300,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
fyi-- 3-5% increase in real property taxes is not equiv to 3-5% salary increase....

unless your taxes ar ethe same as your salary... either way, your pinto is a great deal
I translated that statement differently but, it seems as though you are correct.

I think I have to knock the price down to 9K since it never had that recall in 197x for the exploding gas tank. Still a steal.

If I had an overused, farcical sales slogan for the car such as "It's for the children", I'd have a line of people from Montauk to Babylon looking to buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island