Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 04:07 PM

20 posts, read 44,795 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

I was hoping you guys could provide some insight into possible commute options for me. I'll be a resident physician at LIJ this summer and will be moving to Brooklyn Heights. I will be living close to the Clark St subway station. Various train routes to stops around the hospital all seem to take around 35-40min.

I'm not sure to take trains out of Penn Station or Atlantic Terminal to arrive at Great Neck or New Hyde Park stations, the schedules are similar. Perhaps my subway commute might be a minute or two shorter heading to Atlantic? Thoughts?

I would love to be able to leave my car at one of the LI stations fulltime, to avoid having to take a bus to the hospital. Is this at all possible at any station?

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:06 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
I don't know the 2/3 well enough to say if it's faster to go to Atlantic or Penn from Brooklyn Heights (it's probably about the same) - although FYI if you do end up going to the Great Neck LIRR you can ONLY catch a train on that branch at Penn Station. That also might be preferable since it doesn't pass through Jamaica and is thus usually way faster, but it also all depends on what the bus schedules are like and what time you're leaving. Getting from the LIRR to LIJ will be the real PITA!

I doubt you'll be able to leave your car at a station, although I like the idea! Parking at NHP or Great Neck is either gonna be resident-only or metered... in other words, you'll get towed/ticketed/etc. eventually for leaving it in any lot. There MIGHT be some on-street parking somewhere near the NHP station where you could leave your car overnight (definitely isn't any in Great Neck) but I don't know the area all that well - and unless your car is a total beater it's probably not the best idea anyway.

It's probably not too likely, but I'd also ask around to see if maybe LIJ runs a shuttle for employees from any LIRR stations. Short of that miracle, you're probably better off getting the bus in Great Neck since the N25 & N26 (the two that run to LIJ) both originate there. You can get the N25 at New Hyde Park too, but the chances of it being on time are much lower. Check the schedules and make sure a bus actually leaves either of those stations around the time your train gets in - sometimes it doesn't work like that... the buses can be really finnicky. I checked Google Maps just because I was curious and it gave me several ridiculous methods of taking 80 different trains/subways/buses to the Q46 Bus which gets you there in almost 2 hours. Google Maps is usually on point with that stuff, so it may very well be that there isn't any morning bus that is timed to meet eastbound trains at either station.

I'd also do a test run one day before you start just to make sure everything works like it's supposed to!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:29 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
You can not get to Great Neck via the Brooklyn Flatbush Avenue train. You would need to go to Penn & take the Port Washington line. It's a great train line because it does not have to go through Jamaica (it's the only one that doesn't). Good luck.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
According to Google Transit, there is an N25 bus that meets the train that arrives in New Hyde Park at 8:17AM (the bus leaves at 8:26AM)

You can try seeing yourself if the schedules line up.
N25 schedule: http://www.mta.info/libus/routes/n25/n25_new.pdf (broken link)
N26 schedule: http://www.mta.info/libus/routes/n26/n26%20new.pdf (broken link)

In the morning, the N25 runs every 12-15 minutes coming from both directions, so I think the best way would be to take the LIRR to New Hyde Park, and then take the N25.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:34 PM

I may try to drive early on. The pain of taking the circuit of subway-train-bus 2x a day may outweigh benefits of being able to read/not drive in traffic. The cost of a parking spot in Brooklyn Heights is not that much different than a monthly LIRR card + subway.

Any advice on the drive to and fro? I have heard that 30mins in reasonable in the morning. I will be leaving around 7am. As for coming back, any routes that reasonably bypass the LIE to BQE, in 5-6pm range?

Thank you very much.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:59 PM

228 posts, read 810,336 times
From Clark St or Bourugh Hall you are like 2 or 3 stops from Atlantic Terminal LIRR... This is much closer and more convenient than Penn Station... From Atlantic you have to take the train to New Hyde Park... From there you option would be bus, taxi... If you have a bike you can bring that with you on the LIRR and ride it to the hosipital...
Don't take the train to Great Neck it would probably take you more time... the Great Neck Train makes a lot of stops in Queens before it gets to Great Neck and going up to Penn would just add to your time...

Old 05-14-2011, 08:58 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppacoustic View Post
I may try to drive early on. The pain of taking the circuit of subway-train-bus 2x a day may outweigh benefits of being able to read/not drive in traffic. The cost of a parking spot in Brooklyn Heights is not that much different than a monthly LIRR card + subway.

Any advice on the drive to and fro? I have heard that 30mins in reasonable in the morning. I will be leaving around 7am. As for coming back, any routes that reasonably bypass the LIE to BQE, in 5-6pm range?

Thank you very much.
trust me the mass transit option is WAY FASTER AVOID LIE AND BQE the drive isn't worth it.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:28 AM

175 posts, read 637,974 times
Follow Buscape's advice...my mom comes to visit me from Bklyn and the Atlantic Terminal transfer is easier then backtracking from Penn. You can also take the Hempstead line to the Stewart Manor station and grab the bus there on New Hyde Park road...I'm not sure but i thought it swung by LIJ (but I could be wrong). Only problem is there's no way you'll be able to park at any of the LIRR stations, the few public spots fill up fast very early in the am. Park in the wrong spot and you'll be looking at tons of tickets. I would check with the hospital to see if they have parking/shuttle options for employees.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:05 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsalex View Post
Follow Buscape's advice...my mom comes to visit me from Bklyn and the Atlantic Terminal transfer is easier then backtracking from Penn. You can also take the Hempstead line to the Stewart Manor station and grab the bus there on New Hyde Park road...I'm not sure but i thought it swung by LIJ (but I could be wrong). Only problem is there's no way you'll be able to park at any of the LIRR stations, the few public spots fill up fast very early in the am. Park in the wrong spot and you'll be looking at tons of tickets. I would check with the hospital to see if they have parking/shuttle options for employees.
Or you can take LIRR to jamacia and use Q76,17LTD, or 30/31 or Q25LTD or Q65LTD whatever comes first then transfer to Q46LTD or one that says LI jewish hospital Q46 is faster than it appears

Old 05-15-2011, 05:38 PM

There is no hospital shuttle to any LIRR station.

Trains arrive at New Hyde Park at only 6:25 or 8:17 am from Atlantic Terminal during the week. Not an option. I need to arrive at hospital 7:30-8am
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island