Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:55 AM

10 posts, read 46,482 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys, I have just purchased a property in New Hyde Park and I believe it's in the town of north hempstead. The seller has all the structural permit, but he is missing the permit for the Fence. This is the only condition prevent us from schedule for closing. My question is should I insist to have the seller to obtain the permit (which I don't know how long that going to take), or I should just ask for a credit in case I want to get the permit after closing? Also what are the Fees involved in getting a permit in town of north hempstead (so I have an idea how much credit should be asking from the seller)? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 09:01 AM

465 posts, read 1,709,392 times
Not sure if its same for N. Hempstead but for Huntington, permit cost is 3 times more if the permit is filed for after construction is complete. Usually known as 'built without' permit. Something to look into if you elect for credit at closing. Also, be sure the fence meets all setback requirements now, you should have a survey that shows fence so you can check yourself, be aware setbacks may be different for corner lots if that applies.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:10 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,996,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyftw View Post
Hi Guys, I have just purchased a property in New Hyde Park and I believe it's in the town of north hempstead. The seller has all the structural permit, but he is missing the permit for the Fence. This is the only condition prevent us from schedule for closing. My question is should I insist to have the seller to obtain the permit (which I don't know how long that going to take), or I should just ask for a credit in case I want to get the permit after closing? Also what are the Fees involved in getting a permit in town of north hempstead (so I have an idea how much credit should be asking from the seller)? Thanks

All based on Town of Hempstead:

Application: $200
Survey approx: $500-$900
Plans if necessary (tbd from $200-$1000)
If variance required, add more time and money.

Welcome to hell.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:30 AM

Oh gosh.. that's really steep.

mongoose can you tell me where did you get that information? I went to the building department's website and look at the application form, it say the cost of the permit is determine by the length of the fence.

So my assumption my cost after closing if I want to legalize the fence will be:

Application Fee $200 x 4 (penalty) = $800
Land Survey = $0 - Seller has a copy of the land survey
Plan = what is the plan you are referring to?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:39 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Sorry, I meant to click on 'Quote' the first time. I think mongoose means blueprints by 'plan'. I'm not sure if blueprints are required for a fence. I'd think not though - I could be wrong but I think blueprints only apply to items inside the house.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the clarification GPC.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:13 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
I lived in the Town of North Hempstead also. They definitely penalize for getting a permit after the fact - 4X sounds right.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:16 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,996,290 times
Quote:
Oh gosh.. that's really steep.

mongoose can you tell me where did you get that information? I went to the building department's website and look at the application form, it say the cost of the permit is determine by the length of the fence.

So my assumption my cost after closing if I want to legalize the fence will be:

Application Fee $200 x 4 (penalty) = $800
Land Survey = $0 - Seller has a copy of the land survey
For TOH:

1. Application should just be one charge of $200 (it's $100 for "new", $200 for "existing").
2. If the survey is considered "recent" they will accept it. They are greedy SOB's so I do not know what "recent" means to them. It is not defined in the law. At worst if you have one, then an updated one is usually @$450.
3. Plans may or may not be needed for a fence. I would hope not since the survey/plot plan should detail everything.
4. I do not know the permit fee. If there needs to be a variance it will be more. My fees (needed a variance) for fence, shed and small a/g pool was $650 (plus the $600 for permit apps). So $1250 dollars to the town and I'm still waiting for my hearing. Oh yeah, plus $125 for a pool alarm (necessary for permit).

It is a criminal enterprise. My fence and shed were there when we bought the house in 1999 and were on the survey from 1956 (50+ years without a complaint)! I shelled out my money and am still waiting for my "hearing" (waiting behind all the TOH building dept employees who got busted for not having permits and are now filing to save their crony-hack jobs).

Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Just curious, lilyftw, what does your RE attorney suggest?

In my experience, buyers' attorneys often request (from seller) money be put into an escrow account from which payments are made to satisfy whatever needs fixing, and the remainder then goes to the seller when all is said and done.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,573 times
What a bunch of bs.If the fence has been up for a year or more I would go with the seller to all the adjoining property owners and ask if they have a problem with the fence.If no problems try to get a document signed by all parties and let the town go scratch.If the seller wants to give you credit for any future probs that's good also.You can no longer call a house your home,what nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island