Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:47 AM

13 posts, read 18,785 times

Advertisements

Pretty much.....I'm 27 with a beautiful family of 4. My youngest is 8 and my oldest is 11. I am just now starting to settle into a career and becoming more of a adult (Late bloomer I guess)

Anyway, I don't want to bore you with my life story. I will give you the gist of whats really going on.....

We currently live with my wife's family and renting 2 bedrooms that are across from each other. The problem is that there are 15-17 people living at this residence Lol.....her family is from the south and does the "Keep it in the family" kind of thing. There are TOO many personalities in this household....between us..the uncles...the aunts...grandma ect. There is favoritism in this house against us. What I mean by that is our kids DO NOT get treated like how their cosines get treated. I am now seeing this. It is very stressful for us to be in this environment. There will be a point where some stuff will get said and chances of getting thrown out of the house will be pretty high.

Been at my job since March 2011. I got the job because my best friends father is close to the top guy. So, my resume kind of floated into his lap

So my chances of getting hired are pretty nice....there is a few spots open as well. My problem is I do not know if I should look for an apartment or just continue going through this crap and save enough for a down payment for a home. This is where I'm asking you guys for advice......

In order for you guys to give me the best advice.......
My wife is currently a stay at home mother and goes to school online.

would like to stay where im at...mainly because of the kids.....but the prices are to high.

Any advice or additional information needed? Thanks in advance

Last edited by NeverBePeace; 08-07-2011 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 10:07 AM

95 posts, read 206,884 times
I think your post contains too much personal information. You should cut this down to the bare minimum to get an appropriate response. The internet is not a "safe neighborhood".

Old 08-07-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleIslander View Post
I think your post contains too much personal information. You should cut this down to the bare minimum to get an appropriate response. The internet is not a "safe neighborhood".
Thanks......

Revised it

Last edited by NeverBePeace; 08-07-2011 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBePeace View Post
Pretty much.....I'm 27 with a beautiful family of 4. My youngest is 8 and my oldest is 11. I am just now starting to settle into a career and becoming more of a adult (Late bloomer I guess)

Anyway, I don't want to bore you with my life story. I will give you the gist of whats really going on.....

We currently live with my wife's family and renting 2 bedrooms that are across from each other. The problem is that there are 15-17 people living at this residence Lol.....her family is from the south and does the "Keep it in the family" kind of thing. There are TOO many personalities in this household....between us..the uncles...the aunts...grandma ect. There is favoritism in this house against us. What I mean by that is our kids DO NOT get treated like how their cosines get treated. I am now seeing this. It is very stressful for us to be in this environment. There will be a point where some stuff will get said and chances of getting thrown out of the house will be pretty high.

Been at my job since March 2011. I got the job because my best friends father is close to the top guy. So, my resume kind of floated into his lap

So my chances of getting hired are pretty nice....there is a few spots open as well. My problem is I do not know if I should look for an apartment or just continue going through this crap and save enough for a down payment for a home. This is where I'm asking you guys for advice......

would like to stay where im at...mainly because of the kids.....but the prices are to high.

Any advice or additional information needed? Thanks in advance[/b]
$2500 every other week right? So about $60k a year?

I would shoot for a small house rental @ $2000-$2500 a month. There is inventory at the $300k level here, but with $60k/yr, even the low end will be nearly impossible to swing, in my opinion...because of utilities and misc expenses. Unless you can somehow save up a $60k down payment, bringing the total mortgage (with taxes) to under $2k a month. [$240k mortgage @ 4.5% is only $1200 a month, plus taxes/insurance of $800/month]

MLSLI and other sites list house rentals -- If you can find one for $2k-$2.5k with utilities included, that might be the better way to go.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-07-2011 at 03:46 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
$2500 every other week right? So about $60k a year?

I would shoot for a small house rental @ $2000-$2500 a month. There is inventory at the $300k level here, but with $60k/yr, even the low end will be nearly impossible to swing, in my opinion...because of utilities and misc expenses. Unless you can somehow save up a $60k down payment, bringing the total mortgage (with taxes) to under $2k a month. [$240k mortgage @ 4.5% is only $1200 a month, plus taxes/insurance of $800/month]

MLSLI and other sites list house rentals -- If you can find one for $2k-$2.5k with utilities included, that might be the better way to go.
I agree move into a rental. 15-17 people in the house?? how big is the house LOL. You guys need your own space and privacy.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:28 AM

Wink Please Delete Thread.........Appreciate it..............

Quote:

Old 08-07-2011, 01:28 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:

Don't rush into buying - rent for a year and take your time looking around.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:33 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
No your story is not typical...other than its tough to support a family of six on your income...and that fifteen to seventeen people live in one house. Move away from long island..you will never be able to survive comfortably here

Old 08-07-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I agree move into a rental. 15-17 people in the house?? how big is the house LOL. You guys need your own space and privacy.
Your right.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Don't rush into buying - rent for a year and take your time looking around.
Yes.....I was thinking this. My only grip about it is I don't want to throw money away by renting. Hence, trying to bypass renting and go straight into a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
No your story is not typical...other than its tough to support a family of six on your income...and that fifteen to seventeen people live in one house. Move away from long island..you will never be able to survive comfortably here
Whoa.....i only have 2 kids lol. My son is going to the middle school now and my daughter will be going into 3rd grade. Don't want to move to another state as they are already into there schooling here. In other words.....they are not babies anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
kids havin kids
Hmmmmmmm ok

Old 08-08-2011, 07:21 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,184 times
I dunno what to tell you. it really comes down to how tolorable the situation is in the house and how mcuh money and your wife can/will make.

if the $60K a year amount floating around this thread is accruate... then it will be very difficult to afford a house with a family of 4 with just the one income and school expenses.

I don't think renting a whole house for $2500 a month is a good idea. that costs too much for your paycheck if you're trying to save money. I think you should consider a 2/3 bedroom rental in the 1500-1800 range in hopefully a decent school district.

if you continue living in the house iwth your family, I think you should try saving $2000 a month and put it in the bank. When you move out, your living expenses will be around that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island