Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 01:15 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, my mother has effectively lost her battle with cancer. She's 112 pounds and given the aggressive growth and and a massive abdominal tumor (think 8 1/2 months pregnant big...and then some), she'll need assistance. I've been holding the house together this summer, but I am returning to complete my senior year at college. Mom wants me to finish, and I want to go. The rest of the family simply isn't capable of providing the round-the-clock oversight that I can living in the house. My sister is rather useless, and we're nearing the point of needing a professional.

When my great-grandmother was physically and mentally incapacitated by a stroke, the "nurses" were transient women from Hempstead. I need a real nurse with a nursing degree. Mom isn't a second job. The issues are fairly standard, waning mobility, checking to see that pain meds have been taken, and fetching a bite from the kitchen. I also don't want to be paranoid about jewelry and trinkets disappearing.

We're in western Nassau, and Mom is Roman Catholic (to add Catholic-affiliated nursing/hospice services to list). Any suggestions would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 02:45 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
My BIL's mother was in hospice at Mid Island (can't remember the new name) hospital on Hempstead Tpke in Bethpage. It was dreary, depressing, run down. Staff was no where to be seen. I wouldn't bring a child there. No one should spend their final days like that.

My FIL was in the hospice adjacent to St Charles (I believe it is called Good Shepherd) It was new, bright, clean, and felt like home. The staff was accessible, caring, and children were welcomed. There was staff on hand to help parents explain to children what was occurring during this transition from life to passing. There was a sitting area off the hall for every two rooms, assuring privacy, and great room with a large fishtank and fireplace, a kitchen/ dining resembling a home as an area for families to regroup and take meals together.

When my FIL passed, the grandchildren were prepared and had a much better understanding of why this was happening. We adults felt comforted in knowing that the hospice staff (they are all angels in my eyes) made every effort to help my FIL transition comfortably.

I realize this location isn't convenient to you, but wanted to include it for others who find themselves in this situation.

My suggestion would be to look into the Good Shepherd on the south shore -- it's over by Good Sam in West Islip, if memory serves.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:00 PM

257 posts, read 608,647 times
I'm very sorry about your mom and wish I could help with some really good advice but all I can think of is to get her doctors office involved for recommendations..

Or even though your out west on the island call the Westhampton Beach Hospice and ask them for advice.....a neighbor of mine had a stroke and ended up being sent home to die from the hospital and her doctor took care of having Hospice from Westhampton come everyday....the most wonderful and caring people in the world. I would think they could recommend a real nurse or at least point you in the right direction..

Best of everything to you and to your mom.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:10 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My BIL's mother was in hospice at Mid Island (can't remember the new name) hospital on Hempstead Tpke in Bethpage. It was dreary, depressing, run down. Staff was no where to be seen. I wouldn't bring a child there. No one should spend their final days like that.

My FIL was in the hospice adjacent to St Charles (I believe it is called Good Shepherd) It was new, bright, clean, and felt like home. The staff was accessible, caring, and children were welcomed. There was staff on hand to help parents explain to children what was occurring during this transition from life to passing. There was a sitting area off the hall for every two rooms, assuring privacy, and great room with a large fishtank and fireplace, a kitchen/ dining resembling a home as an area for families to regroup and take meals together.

When my FIL passed, the grandchildren were prepared and had a much better understanding of why this was happening. We adults felt comforted in knowing that the hospice staff (they are all angels in my eyes) made every effort to help my FIL transition comfortably.

I realize this location isn't convenient to you, but wanted to include it for others who find themselves in this situation.

My suggestion would be to look into the Good Shepherd on the south shore -- it's over by Good Sam in West Islip, if memory serves.
Mom, as most people do, desires to be at home. Good shepherd does have an at-home program. I visited their website before posting this, but I wanted some real feedback. All hospices, nursing homes, and services are loving and caring....until you listen to what people have to say.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Mom, as most people do, desires to be at home. Good shepherd does have an at-home program. I visited their website before posting this, but I wanted some real feedback. All hospices, nursing homes, and services are loving and caring....until you listen to what people have to say.
I would suggest contacting Catholic services with regard to their in home hospice care.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:12 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Mercy Hospital in RVC has hospice but not sure if they have an at home program. My mom was getting hospice for my dad back in 2004 when he had pancreatic cancer. I cannot remember the name. Unfortunatley he passed away the day before they were coming to the house. I am sorry to hear about your mom. I understand what you are going through. My prayers are with you.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
For my mom in Centerport, we had the Visiting Nurses of Northport. They were excellent, very helpful and compassionate.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island