Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 04:30 PM

126 posts, read 522,476 times

Advertisements

So, here i am trying to renew my home heating contract with Petro. I had a decent experience with them last year. However, they're asking for $ 4.05 /gallon for a ceiling plan + $ 108 for the annual maintenance. Obviously, i am shopping around. I don't necessarily want to do COD yet because i don't have a reliable HVAC person that could come and service my 60 year old boiler. Also, i don't want to be hit with $600 or $700 bills each delivery. Is slomins any good with their maintenance and service? Can someone recommend other oil companies that offer competitive pricing and good workmanship 24/7?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 05:40 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,037,516 times
Just bailed on Petro for Sweezey fuel. $3.69 fixed and free service contract.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Just bailed on Petro for Sweezey fuel. $3.69 fixed and free service contract.
Not a bad price. Probably only good for one year. After the year is up, they'll probably try to ********* like Petro is trying to do to me right now.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Not a bad price. Probably only good for one year. After the year is up, they'll probably try to ********* like Petro is trying to do to me right now.
Jezz, all i said was screw, what's up with all the stars

Old 09-10-2011, 05:47 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacike View Post
Jezz, all i said was screw, what's up with all the stars

maybe you added "you" after that and that gets deleted automatically??
just guessing...

Old 09-10-2011, 05:53 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
i have oil for heat but gas for hot water and stove. We do C.O.D. with oil companies. I call around to get the best price. I have a guy to service my boiler he's been doing it since 2004. I want to convert to gas 100%. Oil prices are killing us. I have a 550 gallon tank and last year we filled up and it was 1200 dollars.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:55 PM

137 posts, read 249,370 times
Quote:
So, here i am trying to renew my home heating contract with Petro. I had a decent experience with them last year. However, they're asking for $ 4.05 /gallon for a ceiling plan + $ 108 for the annual maintenance. Obviously, i am shopping around. I don't necessarily want to do COD yet because i don't have a reliable HVAC person that could come and service my 60 year old boiler. Also, i don't want to be hit with $600 or $700 bills each delivery. Is slomins any good with their maintenance and service? Can someone recommend other oil companies that offer competitive pricing and good workmanship 24/7?

Thank you
You do realize that you're very likely wasting quite a bit of money with such an old unit? It's probably getting about 65% efficiency, maybe less depending on maintenance. A modern well tuned unit will hit 85%+ easily. Most oil companies would absolutely love to have you as their customer - more money for them. You're throwing away 20% of your heating oil money.

My hubby came up through the ranks as a heating tech, so we naturally go the COD route. But, when he couldn't see to our issues himself (the shoemaker's children go barefoot, eh?) I've dealt with both of these companies off & on over the years. Both were/are great. My SIL is currently with Troiano for about 5yrs now. Good prices, good service. The big dogs hire anybody with a pulse. Sure, there's great techs in every company, but Petro, Slomins, etc., have a very high turnover for a reason. These two below are family owned & in it for the long haul.

Midnight Heating and Oil - Oil Delivery, Heating Installation, Service and Maintenance, New York
COD and/or Full Service
*Danny is Da Best!

TROIANO FUEL OIL CO.
Full Service

Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
The wholesale price of heating oil was $2.98-58/100 a gallon at the end of Friday's (September 9, 2011) trading.

Figuring in a 50¢ to 75¢ a gallon retail-wholesale mark-up, the retail price would then be $3.49 to $3.74 a gallon.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:27 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,037,516 times
Quote:
Most companies offer promotional rates for new customers which are usually much less than the prices for present customers. I have bounced between these two companies to get the lower oil prices and have no problem adding more companies to the list if need be. Good luck.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
i have oil for heat but gas for hot water and stove. We do C.O.D. with oil companies. I call around to get the best price. I have a guy to service my boiler he's been doing it since 2004. I want to convert to gas 100%. Oil prices are killing us. I have a 550 gallon tank and last year we filled up and it was 1200 dollars.
My parents gas bill in the 1970s was $600/year with cleaning included... long ago and far away and my mother heated to 72 all the time..... I moved upstate. I discovered gas.

You have gas, so you probably need no new gas line; maybe a new meter. You need the heat source run to a new furnace. You might as well get a gas dryer as well. It is worth the cost -- but I do not know what it costs to change from oil heat.

My gas heat (hi-efficiency furnace; 2 years old now), hot water, dryer and stove, in cold snowy Erie County NY (winter temps quite a bit lower/grew up on LI) and we keep it at 68-72 degrees all day (depends how cold outside) and cool to 65-67 at night: costs me an average of $65/mo. max for a 1200 ft house which is including 2 closed in porches; I just pulled my ledger and added bills and divided by 12 for last year. It was $1440/year before the new furnace and added insulation (about $120/mo).. gas company was amazed at how far it dropped. This month, most of the cost (close to 2/3) is the darned taxes... gotta love NY and the Feds.

So, depending on what you are going to have to pay to get rid of the old furnace, empty the oil tank, etc. and what heat you set, cost will vary. Radiators are less efficient if they are steam vs. hot water and will cost more to heat ( my daughter has a boiler and gas furnace with steam radiators); hot air heat is cheapest. However, you do not have to service the gas furnace as much as the oil ones (once a year and change the filter when needed; it burns clean -- you will not have a furnace full of soot at the end of the year), they are much smaller, and much more efficient -- new furnaces vent thru the side wall of the house and have air intake there as well; in our case, we opted for intake from the basement ( like old ones did) because snow might cover the intake. I have had gas forced hot air or radiator for 40 years and love it... I would never go back to oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island