Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 04:22 PM

29 posts, read 107,528 times

Advertisements

I called the national grid to find out info about converting to gas. They told me the line was 560 ft from my house and would cost 35,000 to run it to my house but if I could get 6 other homes on my block they would run it for free. I just sent them a list of 8 homes that want to convert to gas heat from oil. Has anyone else done this. How long did it take for them to get back to you and start the job. The National Grid really was no help. I had to do all the leg work to get them 8 customers. Any info on dealing with them would be appreciated.
Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 PM

79 posts, read 237,710 times
I am in the plumbing industry on Long Island. If you have a licensed plumbing contractor sign up your neighbors and he submits it directly to his National Grid rep the process will be simple for you. If not, you will deal with Home Serve, National Grid's affiliate contractor (partially owned by Nat Grid) for the sign up process. Go the licensed plumber route. Not only will you be supporting a local plumber but you can have piece of mind by dealing with the owner/plumber directly instead of a mega corporation that is primarily driven by revenue - not customer service/satisfaction.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:47 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepipe View Post
I am in the plumbing industry on Long Island. If you have a licensed plumbing contractor sign up your neighbors and he submits it directly to his National Grid rep the process will be simple for you. If not, you will deal with Home Serve, National Grid's affiliate contractor (partially owned by Nat Grid) for the sign up process. Go the licensed plumber route. Not only will you be supporting a local plumber but you can have piece of mind by dealing with the owner/plumber directly instead of a mega corporation that is primarily driven by revenue - not customer service/satisfaction.
Excellent suggestion!
Reps to you.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 AM

863 posts, read 2,108,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepipe View Post
Mike you're so right. When I did it I used a name form their list and everything was set in motion and done pretty much for me. Also OP if you and your neighbors use a plumber you may be able to get further discount from that person because they will be doing 8 homes on the block. Savings all around and less work.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Alka2710 what are they giving you for free as far as equipment these days if you convert?

Old 04-18-2012, 01:18 PM

29 posts, read 107,528 times
They are not offering much. There top of the line hot water boiler at 96% efficency for 3 grand with a 800 dollar rebate. Than I think the State has a credit or rebate for a few hundred. I already sent the letter in to the National Grid with everyones name on it on Monday. So Mike the pipe is it too late for me to go the plumber route. Thanks
Al

Old 04-18-2012, 07:19 PM

79 posts, read 237,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alka2710 View Post
They are not offering much. There top of the line hot water boiler at 96% efficency for 3 grand with a 800 dollar rebate. Than I think the State has a credit or rebate for a few hundred. I already sent the letter in to the National Grid with everyones name on it on Monday. So Mike the pipe is it too late for me to go the plumber route. Thanks
Al
Its not too late to go the plumber route if you haven't signed a proposal or contract beyond 3 business days. Best of luck and welcome to the world of gas heating

Old 04-18-2012, 09:07 PM

244 posts, read 634,264 times
Any chance of Gas coming to the east end like Shoreham/Wading River?

Old 05-17-2012, 07:54 AM

21 posts, read 41,717 times
I see in other threads that people have recommended Burner King for Suffolk.

Can anyone recommend a few good contractors for Nassau?

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2012, 08:31 AM

426 posts, read 960,529 times
This may sound dumb as I am not a homeowner, but is the monthly difference between gas and oil heat that great?

I know with oil you have to fill the tank almost every month in the winter, whereas the gas is free flowing, but is it worth it to spend all that money to convert?

Also, could a person have an electric stove but gas heat and hot water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island