Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:35 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,150 times

Advertisements

Can't seem to find an answer for this anywhere on the MTA website or elsewhere on the internet...

I get the LIRR monthly good for trips between Zone 1 and Zone 7. If I wanted to take the train out to Montauk or Greenport one day (from Penn/LIC) do I have to buy a whole new full price ticket or is there some kind of discount?

Will they try and kick me off (or pay a small fortune) for buying a Zone 7->East End (not sure what # it is) ticket at one of the western terminals and then showing both that and my monthly once onboard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 09:48 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,703,654 times
I think you would have to buy a ticket from the end of zone 7 to montauk/greenport

Old 06-12-2011, 09:49 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Can't seem to find an answer for this anywhere on the MTA website or elsewhere on the internet...

I get the LIRR monthly good for trips between Zone 1 and Zone 7. If I wanted to take the train out to Montauk or Greenport one day (from Penn/LIC) do I have to buy a whole new full price ticket or is there some kind of discount?

Will they try and kick me off (or pay a small fortune) for buying a Zone 7->East End (not sure what # it is) ticket at one of the western terminals and then showing both that and my monthly once onboard?
I don't know if the rules have changed, but it's been my experience in the past that when I exceeded the zone distance, they just had me pay the difference, without an on-board penalty. To be sure (if you have the opportunity) you might want to ask at the ticket window.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:01 PM

159 posts, read 408,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I don't know if the rules have changed, but it's been my experience in the past that when I exceeded the zone distance, they just had me pay the difference, without an on-board penalty. To be sure (if you have the opportunity) you might want to ask at the ticket window.
Still the case today

Old 06-12-2011, 08:28 PM

939 posts, read 2,310,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Yes...you'll just pay the difference

Old 06-12-2011, 09:05 PM

863 posts, read 2,107,493 times
You will be required to pay the difference. Sometimes thougth they don't check after a certain point.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:32 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Sometimes thougth they don't check after a certain point.
True, but it's not very likely that they don't check at all between zone 7 (Hicksville/Syosset) and Montauk or Greenport, especially during this time of year.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:12 PM

225 posts, read 715,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

You have to pay the difference.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:14 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
Just dont pay the difference on the train. ...What a rip off!!

Old 06-13-2011, 03:55 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Just dont pay the difference on the train. ...What a rip off!!
That's what I thought, but everyone says if you've got a ticket already they only make you pay the standard difference... not the onboard price. Kinda makes sense, because I know a lot of times I'll be on trains with people who have Off-Peak tickets on a Peak train and they only have to pay the normal difference.

I've gotten extorted with that stupid onboard price before ($9 vs. $2.75 to go 2 friggen stops) so I definitely wanted to avoid that!!

I didn't get a chance to ask at a ticket window, but whenever I do this I'll probably just get the secondary ticket from the machine anyway. It'll take all of what, 2 minutes? LOL...

Thanks everybody!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island