Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:37 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,514 times

Advertisements

Per the article in Newsday today, the mystery of why certain homes had increases and certain homes (often right next door) had decreases was explained. While I am consistently mystified by the myriad layers of useless hack govt and taxing districts, I wonder more simplistically...
If we VOTED for a budget that declares a specific school tax increase, is it legal to then raise the school tax 5-10 times that proposed increase?! Or would they just claim that the proposed budget increase is "estimated?"

Despite the scare tactics and as much as I hate playing obstructionist, maybe it really is time to vote no on everything. It seems egregious and downright insulting particularly for retirees or those without school age children (really anyone) to vote OK to a 3.5% increase and get hit with a 12.5% increase (or more, often much more).

"Happy new year what do I get...another year older and deeper in debt."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 07:27 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,753,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Per the article in Newsday today, the mystery of why certain homes had increases and certain homes (often right next door) had decreases was explained. While I am consistently mystified by the myriad layers of useless hack govt and taxing districts, I wonder more simplistically...
If we VOTED for a budget that declares a specific school tax increase, is it legal to then raise the school tax 5-10 times that proposed increase?! Or would they just claim that the proposed budget increase is "estimated?"

Despite the scare tactics and as much as I hate playing obstructionist, maybe it really is time to vote no on everything. It seems egregious and downright insulting particularly for retirees or those without school age children (really anyone) to vote OK to a 3.5% increase and get hit with a 12.5% increase (or more, often much more).

"Happy new year what do I get...another year older and deeper in debt."

I'll be more interested to see if the 2% cap on property taxes will impact school taxes or if they'll use the distinction as a way to continue robbing us blind.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:33 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,748,398 times
It's definitely legal..it's the assessment system that is causing the swings from one property's tax increase to anothers. If the residents in Plainview are not happy about it, they should focus on the fact that half the faculty earn over $100k/yr, and pay little to nothing for their healthcare and pension benefits.

SeeThroughNY :: Payroll-Schools

Old 01-06-2012, 07:46 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,753,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
It's definitely legal..it's the assessment system that is causing the swings from one property's tax increase to anothers. If the residents in Plainview are not happy about it, they should focus on the fact that half the faculty earn over $100k/yr, and pay little to nothing for their healthcare and pension benefits.

A very cogent point. If the person living in house A went to town hall, fill out the paperwork and got their house reassessed to reflect current market values and the person next door didn't, with today's market I can imagine there would be quite a swing there, too.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

Uh oh...we all know that elephant is in the room but I wanted to avoid the "teacher/admin" salary conundrum (you know I am in full agreement with you on that). It is clearly an assessment issue.

My question is "if you vote for xxx, how can they charge you yyy?" Clearly this will just explode when the 2% cap hits. Per the article homes between $330k and $440k that do not challenge their assessment are the hardest hit. As one person wins their challenge, other's tax increases to make up the difference. Who comes up with this stuff?!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Quote:
Unlike in other parts of the U.S. where they vote on an increase in the property tax rate, in NYS we vote on the budget, not the "estimated" property tax rate, and then the actual property tax rate is calculated by dividing the budget by the sum of the assessed property in the taxing district.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:59 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,818 times
Quote:
Uh oh...we all know that elephant is in the room but I wanted to avoid the "teacher/admin" salary conundrum (you know I am in full agreement with you on that). It is clearly an assessment issue.

My question is "if you vote for xxx, how can they charge you yyy?" Clearly this will just explode when the 2% cap hits. Per the article homes between $330k and $440k that do not challenge their assessment are the hardest hit. As one person wins their challenge, other's tax increases to make up the difference. Who comes up with this stuff?!
I read this this this am as well and was thinking the same thing. Basically, they can do what ever they want, even when the 2% starts. The whole thing is an f-ing joke.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Unlike in other parts of the U.S. where they vote on an increase in the property tax rate, in NYS we vote on the budget, not the "estimated" property tax rate, and then the actual property tax rate is calculated by dividing the budget by the sum of the assessed property in the taxing district.
I figured as much. Thank you for that well stated explanation.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:18 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,748,398 times
Quote:
My question is "if you vote for xxx, how can they charge you yyy?" Clearly this will just explode when the 2% cap hits.
Walter explained it perfectly.. and the 2% is only the school's tax levy.

Quote:
Who comes up with this stuff?!
NY politicians & unions.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:21 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
It's ironic that the it's the seniors who were asleep at the switch for so long while this ball got rolling who are now complaining their taxes. That generation voted for anything and everything - I remember my parents always talking about the CRAZY PEOPLE who voted against school budgets, their tune changed once we were all out of school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island