Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,167 times

Advertisements

I'm considering applying for a job in Glen Cove, New York. I am single, with no children, and the job is offering 32,000 per year. Would that be enough to both live on and save a little? If I were to bring a car and rent a room for a year, would 32000 be enough? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 AM

5,073 posts, read 3,970,469 times
Short answer, No. You are netting how much out of the 32,000?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,053,729 times
No, unless you can find a room to rent for $700 a month, you'll be spending almost all of your pay on housing.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 AM

674 posts, read 1,156,819 times
If you don't have any jobs, you must take the job and move forward in life.
$32K is going to be very hard but you do it for one year get the experience and move on.

Don't buy any new car, buy used car. Since you are single, you need to find a room to live. you can pay like $500 under. You can't eat outside. You need to make your food, learn to cook.
Buy a laptop, that will be your only entertainment. Don't need TV. Use your cell phone as primary phone. At end of the day, you can save but you need to live well below your means.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,331,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
If you don't have any jobs, you must take the job and move forward in life.
$32K is going to be very hard but you do it for one year get the experience and move on.

Don't buy any new car, buy used car. Since you are single, you need to find a room to live. you can pay like $500 under. You can't eat outside. You need to make your food, learn to cook.
Buy a laptop, that will be your only entertainment. Don't need TV. Use your cell phone as primary phone. At end of the day, you can save but you need to live well below your means.
I wouldn't advise that person to move here on that pay as a single person. Where can you find a room with cooking privileges for $500 a month near Glen Cove? How about paying for car insurance?

I don't think he would have the means to live below his means. $32K is already at the bottom and, unless it is a retail job in a store or an office clerk job requiring few skills, the employer should be ashamed of itself. This is why I call LI employers cheapskates. Perfect example. Ridiculously lowballing an out-of-towner who doesn't know any better to relocate here for a pittance compared to our insane cost of living. Don't do it, OP, unless you want to live in misery like a peasant.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:07 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,992,764 times
Don't do it.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:37 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,011,943 times
No, unless you want to live a life as a pauper in misery. Cost of living in LI/NYC/NJ/CT is too high even as a renter for a person to survive on 32K gross without significant outside assistance like family and/or social agencies like a soup kitchen (no exaggeration).

32K is about 1,400 a month after tax, subtract out rent, food, utilities, clothing and at the end of the month you will be lucky if you have 100 dollars left over. That's how costly it is to live here.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:39 AM

674 posts, read 1,156,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I wouldn't advise that person to move here on that pay as a single person. Where can you find a room with cooking privileges for $500 a month near Glen Cove? How about paying for car insurance?

I don't think he would have the means to live below his means. $32K is already at the bottom and, unless it is a retail job in a store or an office clerk job requiring few skills, the employer should be ashamed of itself. This is why I call LI employers cheapskates. Perfect example. Ridiculously lowballing an out-of-towner who doesn't know any better to relocate here for a pittance compared to our insane cost of living. Don't do it, OP, unless you want to live in misery like a peasant.
Back in 1990, I got B.S degree and one of big firm in Long island hired me and starting salary was $25K. That was long time ago, but I did take the job and learned lot of things then I moved to better jobs. So for a person who doesn't have any jobs, telling him not a take job is not good advice.
With 25K, I was able to buy a car for $6K insurance I think I paid $500 every six month. At that time, I had three roomates so total of 4, I paid $300. I used to sleep on the floor. I was able to do it back in 1990.

I don't know whole story of the OP, but if he/she is very desperate thinks this job can lead to other things in life, I would go for it. Economic is hard, for a guy who is starting. He or she needs some kind of experience on the resume. I know 32K is very little but you can do it.

Where there's a will there's a way.

He/she can't live in Glen Cove, one can live in Hempstead or Hicksville. I can show you, you can rent room for $500. My sister did that, but she got into flight with other girls so she moved out. I never said it's going to easy.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:57 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,331,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Back in 1990, I got B.S degree and one of big firm in Long island hired me and starting salary was $25K. That was long time ago, but I did take the job and learned lot of things then I moved to better jobs. So for a person who doesn't have any jobs, telling him not a take job is not good advice.
With 25K, I was able to buy a car for $6K insurance I think I paid $500 every six month. At that time, I had three roomates so total of 4, I paid $300. I used to sleep on the floor. I was able to do it back in 1990.

I don't know whole story of the OP, but if he/she is very desperate thinks this job can lead to other things in life, I would go for it. Economic is hard, for a guy who is starting. He or she needs some kind of experience on the resume. I know 32K is very little but you can do it.

Where there's a will there's a way.

He/she can't live in Glen Cove, one can live in Hempstead or Hicksville. I can show you, you can rent room for $500. My sister did that, but she got into flight with other girls so she moved out. I never said it's going to easy.
You made a bit less than $32K TWENTY-TWO YEARS AGO. How could that be relevant in the slightest way possible?

Would you really encourage someone to rent a room in Hempstead? Really now, would you tell your sister to go there?

Hicksville to Glen Cove is quite a trip on the bus as I doubt the OP would be able to afford even basic car insurance. And for $500 a month, the room would be shared with an illegal alien or two.

I'm telling him that RELOCATING to Long Island for a job that pays $32K is a poor choice, not to "not take a job." There's a difference. The person should stay where they are if that is all they can expect to earn on Long Island. Would you really tell someone to go through all the trouble and expense of moving to a place where their employer will not even pay them THE COST OF THE BASICS?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:20 PM

999 posts, read 2,359,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosechaser17 View Post
I'm considering applying for a job in Glen Cove, New York. I am single, with no children, and the job is offering 32,000 per year. Would that be enough to both live on and save a little? If I were to bring a car and rent a room for a year, would 32000 be enough? Thanks!

If you live home with mom and dad.....

My starting driver is paid that, and usually they are a kid out of school or a older person retired. . . and they struggle on that 32k a year....

otherwise......

GTFO here. . . . . don't look back you aren't missing anything. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island