Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 05:37 AM

39 posts, read 84,547 times

Advertisements

I needed to go to the tax department in the Town of Oyster. I have had the pleasure of visiting this department a few times in the past few months. Two things, what is up with running many air conditioners in the middle of January, and the other thing why do they hay a security guard at the door this is a joke. The security guard sits on his "I" phone texting people all day. When I signed in the guy didn't even look up at me; he doesn't check I.D.'s, . Do we really need a security guard or did someone's relative need a job.
It's just our tax money hard at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 07:35 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,570 times
Are you surprised? Government generally only does two things well - foster inefficiency and attract incompetence.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:26 PM

1,110 posts, read 672,747 times
Most, (not all) Local Municpality, State, and Federal employees might present their best attribute as being a consistently reliable provider of carbon dioxide for the office plants.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:37 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,346,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydays12 View Post
I needed to go to the tax department in the Town of Oyster. I have had the pleasure of visiting this department a few times in the past few months. Two things, what is up with running many air conditioners in the middle of January, and the other thing why do they hay a security guard at the door this is a joke. The security guard sits on his "I" phone texting people all day. When I signed in the guy didn't even look up at me; he doesn't check I.D.'s, . Do we really need a security guard or did someone's relative need a job.
It's just our tax money hard at work.

Relax. The dude probably makes 5 bucks an hour.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:04 PM

537 posts, read 1,449,010 times
Minimum wage is $7.25

Old 04-16-2012, 07:37 PM

840 posts, read 2,447,037 times
one of the women there is about as painfully unfriendly as can be

Old 04-17-2012, 04:31 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
Its the same in the Town of Brookhaven ; but usually there are at least three security guards at the door chatting.

The waste of tax payer's money really gets me.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:59 AM

999 posts, read 2,358,540 times
When something happens then you'll all cry there shoulda been a ARMY of guards.....

When there staring at you and or wanting to go thru your stuff then you'll ***** about being harrassed or singled out.

When levy took the pd off the highway you all cried you'll die driving YOUR car without them there to help you drive and stay safe, so then demarco put his sheriffs there to help you drive and ultimately not save the county anything. . . which in reality the county wasn't saving a dime with or without any pd agency on the highway.

The best is you do it to yourselves and don't even see it .

Old 04-17-2012, 07:49 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
If you compare it to the 5 boroughs, our tax money does get things done (value is another topic). Roads, cleanup, garbage, snow removal, downed lines/trees. All pretty well above expectations. Drive into Queens and look at the roads. Snow removal debacle on the 11 o'clock news. Doesn't happen around here. A small pothole on a small street gets filled, lights reported as blown out get attention in a couple business days.

Yes I know the security guard you talk about at the town. He's good for... telling you how to get to where you're going. He also told me not to worry about the 30-minute parking signs outside. I hate dealing with them and I've been there a handful of times the last few months. But relatively speaking, things get done around town [of oyster bay].

Last edited by ovi8; 04-17-2012 at 07:58 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 10:00 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
one of the women there is about as painfully unfriendly as can be
most of them are unfriendly and try to rush you out but if you continue asking them questions, they've got to answer them. One time I asked to borrow the pen in the woman's hand and she sorta threw it at me disgustedly like I asked her to go get me lunch or something. I don't know if it's because they deal with the public (you know how that goes) or because they just hate their jobs. And it's not like you can be rude back because you always need something from them... like the right information or instructions to follow so you can get your damned C/O. I had to go for a variance hearing so if I was rude at any of my visits I'm sure they'd remember me and they had every opportunity to get back at me that night. Took me 10 months but finally we got the full C/O the other day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island