Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2007, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 10,559 times

Advertisements

I am a single parent to one. I live in upstate ny and cant stand it. I would love to move to a place where its warm all year and also near a city. I really have no friends or family where I am and have tried evrything possible to meet people but havent found any good people who understand what its like for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 07:41 AM

85 posts, read 395,561 times
You need to expand your question. Since you are looking for some place warm all year round, I am guessing you are looking to get out of NY all together. Do you have family or friends living in a different state, that you would want to live in? How much money are you looking to spend for a home, co-op, condo, or are you looking to rent? Many Ny'ers are moving to North Carolina. It is warm most of the time and housing is affordable. Give us more info so you can get a good answer.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:51 PM

Yes i definitely want out of ny. Someplace nice where the rent is affordable. I dont have any relatives anywhere else so I would be pretty much on my own, but im like that in ny also. I was looking into san diego but it sounds really expensive. My question is if there are any suggestions as to where a single parent might go. I would love to meet other single parents. I would love to be just right outside of a large city in a good neighborhood where its warm all year (probably just like evryone else in the world).Sorry about the first post.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:58 PM

85 posts, read 395,561 times
Well..... You don't say what your back ground is, soI don't know how much money you are able to make and afford. We looked at North Carolina where a lot of NY;ers are going. The Charlotte area is popular. They have affordable housing and the schools seem to be pretty good. I'm sure other people will chime in, some people love the odea of moving to NC and some hate it all for different reasons. I think you need to really decide what is important to you and rank them. For me the most important thing is my son since he is special needs. so for me it looks something like this
1) education
2) affordability
3) a place where I can find work, near a big city
4) a place good for a family, safty

your list might look different. After that focus on finding a place that hits most of your needs.

Good luck

Old 06-21-2007, 12:34 PM

80 posts, read 291,276 times
I am hearing great things about Charlotte NC...I am a single parent also looking so let me know...
Linda

Old 06-21-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks so much. I am looking for the same things as well. I am a teachers assistant and I am working on my degree in special ed. I am going to be looking for some more information on charlotte so i will let you know.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:56 AM

4 posts, read 11,378 times
Default single parent of biracial family looking to move to NC

In reading these posts, I agree that as a parent I want a safe place for my children to grow up, where housing is affordable and where the schools provide a good education for children. I am a social worker and am also wondering about employment and the affordability of housing. We are a biracial family however, and I am interested in hearing opinions and ideas about a family like mine living in cities such as Charlotte or Raleigh for example.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:01 AM

45 posts, read 167,903 times
I am a single parent originally from LI but living in Charlotte, NC. I am all by myself with a 6 year old daughter and I hate it. I don't hate Charlotte but I hate not having family around so I am seriously thinking about moving back to LI. However, after reading this forum...I'm like Whoa, did things change that much there? I have family on LI and they don't complain about some of things that are brought up on this board so I am taking it with a grain of salt. Back to Charlotte, it is very family orientated, the school system is good but over crowded and the weather is very HOT in the summer time. Oh and for the biracial family...it is not a big deal down here at all it is very integrated. There is also a Charlotte Mommies forum which is a great way to meet people and get support from other Mommies in the area. But I am with the OP I would love to move to sunny SoCal...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: