Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:16 AM

730 posts, read 1,661,042 times

Advertisements

Back on Topic of Winterizing my Central Air -

In addition to covering the outside unit with plastic sheeting, and shuting the circuit breaker, I also close each vent inside the house (ductwork goes through cold attic, cold air in ducts fall into house and heated air rises into ducts as well). I also place a piece of thin cardboard over the filter in the ceiling to prevent air movement as well.

My central air is not connected to the heating system as I have baseboard heat - not forced hot air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 10:15 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,784,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
Back on Topic of Winterizing my Central Air -

In addition to covering the outside unit with plastic sheeting, and shuting the circuit breaker, I also close each vent inside the house (ductwork goes through cold attic, cold air in ducts fall into house and heated air rises into ducts as well). I also place a piece of thin cardboard over the filter in the ceiling to prevent air movement as well.

My central air is not connected to the heating system as I have baseboard heat - not forced hot air.
Same here, all except closing the vents. Thats a good idea. Never thought of it!

Old 07-09-2012, 06:20 AM

3,532 posts, read 5,721,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz63 View Post
Wont these 98 percent have a problem when they sell their home? because the county will find out that they dont have a permit for the central ac?

and can u recommend me a central ac installing company?
Generally not an issue. how would the county find out on a sale?

Where are you located?

Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 AM

22,686 posts, read 36,861,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Generally not an issue. how would the county find out on a sale?

Where are you located?
That's right unless it's part of a larger renovation. My sister had a mjor reno done in the late 1980s....CAC installed as part of that. Went to sell her house 2 years ago and the CO for the air was still open not that big of a deal, really just needed an electrical inspection. But I don't think CAC is looked at that closely otherwise.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:39 PM

283 posts, read 582,338 times
Yes your taxes will go up if you get the proper permits. Code enforcement saw our unit (previous owner had no permit, naturally)and the market value on our house increased 40,000. Person we talked to from this town claims this is for central ac. Talk about ridiculous, I think they pulled this number from the sky. We are grieving the assesment , we don't know How much they are due to increase yet.

That said, we love having central A/C . We don't cover it in the winter , don't do anything with the circuit breaker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island