Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 02:39 PM

69 posts, read 241,239 times

Advertisements

Since I'm from FL I'm still not used to getting my inspections done, and apparently I got a ticket in Farmingdale back on 6/1 (inspection was due in March). I didn't even know about the ticket until a couple of weeks ago when I got a notice about it in the mail, but that's because it had started pouring as I got to my car and when I turned on my wipers I saw a ripped mangled piece of paper fly across the windshiled then off the car. I was at a bar so I just figured it was a flyer, lol.

Anyway, I called the clerk and said I had since gotten the inspection done and she said that is a myth--the ticket still has to be paid. But i've heard for years that if you get it done and show proof, they dismiss the ticket. So what is it--a myth or fact? Is it true but with specific stipulations (like if you were only in the next month it's ok, but if it's two or more months it's not)... what's the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 03:15 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,989,806 times
Back in the dark ages you had 5 business days to get it done.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:18 PM

22,667 posts, read 36,783,639 times
An inspection due in March, ticketed in June and now it's August? Forget it.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:23 PM

939 posts, read 1,844,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIguy257 View Post
Since I'm from FL I'm still not used to getting my inspections done, and apparently I got a ticket in Farmingdale back on 6/1 (inspection was due in March). I didn't even know about the ticket until a couple of weeks ago when I got a notice about it in the mail, but that's because it had started pouring as I got to my car and when I turned on my wipers I saw a ripped mangled piece of paper fly across the windshiled then off the car. I was at a bar so I just figured it was a flyer, lol.

Anyway, I called the clerk and said I had since gotten the inspection done and she said that is a myth--the ticket still has to be paid. But i've heard for years that if you get it done and show proof, they dismiss the ticket. So what is it--a myth or fact? Is it true but with specific stipulations (like if you were only in the next month it's ok, but if it's two or more months it's not)... what's the deal?
The difference in what you were told and what you believe to be the case lies in the type of ticket you received. From what you described, you received a parking ticket for the expired inspection. Had you received a moving violation for that offense you might have been able to get it dismissed if you got the inspection done before your court date -- and if your inspection was only a few days overdue. However, the parking ticket you got is generally non-negotiable, particularly in a local village court. Generally speaking, it's not worth the time and effort to fight this kind of ticket. Just pay the fine. It doesn't go on your license and there are no points or other penalties involved with a parking ticket.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:10 PM

69 posts, read 241,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
An inspection due in March, ticketed in June and now it's August? Forget it.
I already paid it, I'm just asking in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island