Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:34 PM

50 posts, read 101,190 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I am a young single thirty something english guy about to move to the states. Will be working on Long island not the city end and looking for a lively town with plenty to do.

Nice trendy bars, pubs, restaurants and other young professionals.

I was looking at Huntington, Port Jefferson and Patchogue so can anyone assist?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 01:45 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
where will you be working?

Old 03-20-2013, 01:51 PM

will be working at Brookhaven S.I.B

Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Brookhaven labs, I presume. I can't really provide a fair recommendation and I know that is your question, but just in case you have not visited the area first and no one has said anything, make sure that you will have a car and be able to drive here.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 PM

426 posts, read 960,529 times
Yes, make sure you have a car to get around because the public transportation on Long Island is not that good. Buses are infrequent, and there is no subway system in the area of Brookhaven. Regular train service is also pretty rare out there.

If I were you, Port Jefferson and Patchogue are good bets for good nightlife.

Huntington is also good (and some would tell you it's bit more trendy/upscale I guess) but it is a good 45 minute drive from Brookhaven, so it's not that close.

Patchogue and Port Jefferson are much closer. Each one has cool bars, restaurants, lounges, and it really gets going in the summertime on a Friday or Saturday night. People walking around all over the place at 12am, esp in Port Jefferson.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:56 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah a car is a definite I was looking at shipping mine over contacted BMW NOrth america to find out what the diff are - what i would need to change... but i am well aware that that may not happen.

I dont mind a drive to work as im used to it... i will just grab somewhere quick first then scout but wanted to get an idea first from the locals as to where to start looking... and port jefferson and huntington are high on the list.

its funny i actually live in huntingdon in the UK at the moment ha

The other thing is i am a musician and a DJ and in the UK play live funk guitar while i dj soulful house music. Been doing it years.. so would try and get a gig now and again. It goes down well as its quite unusual

just excited to be heading stateside...

Old 03-21-2013, 04:58 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Huntington would be a good fit for you, but it might be a bit far. You will be going against traffic which is good... only you can decide if it's too far.

You may pay a bit more for your car insurance as cars shipped from overseas are considered "gray market cars" unless you can prove they meet US emission standards.

Good luck with your move.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:59 AM

Yeah i would be travelling against the traffic so huntington was definitely high on the hit list.

Next question... what is huntington like for crime? Is it a nice area really want to avoid bad areas.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:40 AM

58 posts, read 162,586 times
I live in Huntington village and it's exactly what you are looking for. There are a lot of bars and restaurants and just a lot going on. If you are into the dance club type scene, Huntington doesn't really have it, but it has everything else. We have friends come from all over Long Island to hang out in Huntington at night.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:04 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
The first question is what are you able to spend on rent per month? Hard to pick a location until you can answer that, the Island is expensive, even if you choose to live in someone's illegal basement apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island