Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:30 AM

17 posts, read 45,050 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! We're looking to buy a house. Does anyone know anything about the traffic on University Drive in Setauket (not Stony Brook)? According to the map it looks like a cut through to the college from Pond Path but it does not look like a busy road to me. Of course, I plan on sitting outside for a few hours but I thought someone out there might be able to answer my question before I waste my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,058 times
There is NO traffic on University Drive. The residents had the "cut through" (Daniel Webster" closed, years ago. There are two houses currently {4/1/11} for sale in what appears to be prime locations 28 & 29).
This is one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the area. These are NOT Levitt homes!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:56 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
If you are talking about the Nassakeag Ridge neighborhood beware. About 20+ years ago there was a huge underground spill accident by the Northville Company (the remains of the company is on a corner of Upper Sheep Pasture Road). Hundreds of thousands of toxic chemicals spilled underground for a few miles and none of it evaporates - it's actually still there. Very carcinogenic. I'm pretty sure the realtors in the area would rather someone like me forget about the whole thing, but no such luck.

Nassakeag Elementary school has a pending class action going on about the disaster.

At one point around 10 years after the spill I paid a visit to Steve Englebright's office to see if the spill had evaporated or was cleaned up, etc. We were interested in moving to Nassakeag Ridge because it is a nice neighborhood with fairly well-built houses, etc. I was told to not move there.

Friends of ours from the Story Book neighborhood moved right after the spill occurred and sold their house for $40K less than it was worth - that's how much they wanted to get away from the toxicity and not take any chances.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:01 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
If you are talking about the Nassakeag Ridge neighborhood beware. About 20+ years ago there was a huge underground spill accident by the Northville Company (the remains of the company is on a corner of Upper Sheep Pasture Road). Hundreds of thousands of toxic chemicals spilled underground for a few miles and none of it evaporates - it's actually still there. Very carcinogenic. I'm pretty sure the realtors in the area would rather someone like me forget about the whole thing, but no such luck.

Nassakeag Elementary school has a pending class action going on about the disaster.

At one point around 10 years after the spill I paid a visit to Steve Englebright's office to see if the spill had evaporated or was cleaned up, etc. We were interested in moving to Nassakeag Ridge because it is a nice neighborhood with fairly well-built houses, etc. I was told to not move there.

Friends of ours from the Story Book neighborhood moved right after the spill occurred and sold their house for $40K less than it was worth - that's how much they wanted to get away from the toxicity and not take any chances.

No youre thinking of the Story Book homes by Terminal rd.
(Belle Meade LOL)

I lost 2 friends to cancer on Robin Hood alone.
Coincidence?

University is East of Pond Path and near SUSB

Old 04-07-2011, 09:03 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post

I wonder how many recent homebuyers to the area have any knowledge of this?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I wonder how many recent homebuyers to the area have any knowledge of this?

Apparently not Dee Snider either that or hes actually trying to kill his kids.; )

Its common knowledge to avoid ANYWHERE near Terminal (cancer) rd. but if you rename it Belle Meade it sounds so much less ominous.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:53 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,628 times
We moved to FL from that neighborhood a few years ago after living there for 14 years. LOVED IT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many of the professors who raised their children in those houses are now retiring. They didn't die young of cancer, they're all OLD! And, their children don't have two heads and three eyes, either. LOL And believe me, we DID NOT sell our house for $40,000 less than we would have in other similar neighborhoods. At the time we did VERY well. As someone else here said it's one of the highest regarded neighborhoods in Setauket. Please don't be scared off by CD hearsay.

We wound up on a cul de sac near University Dr., but almost bought #8 University first. University may be a bit busier than the rest of the streets in the neighborhood because teachers use it to get to and from their parking lot for the elementary school on school days. But, the buses definitely don't use University Dr. to get to the school. They come in off Pond Path further towards Rte. 347. University Dr. is also a feed road for the rest of the community. BUT, it's a small community and the overall traffic on University is NOT substantial at all.

If you have any more questions about the area, just PM me.

By the way, the oil spill neighborhood is across Pond Path and is called the "Story Book Homes" neighborhood because all the streets are named for things in old story books, Camelot, Cinderella, etc. And, that was a loooooong time ago, in the late 60's I believe, which makes it approximately 50 years ago.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,517 times
just make sure u dont move next to a SBU party house

Old 04-08-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
We moved to FL from that neighborhood a few years ago after living there for 14 years. LOVED IT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many of the professors who raised their children in those houses are now retiring. They didn't die young of cancer, they're all OLD! And, their children don't have two heads and three eyes, either. LOL And believe me, we DID NOT sell our house for $40,000 less than we would have in other similar neighborhoods. At the time we did VERY well. As someone else here said it's one of the highest regarded neighborhoods in Setauket. Please don't be scared off by CD hearsay.

We wound up on a cul de sac near University Dr., but almost bought #8 University first. University may be a bit busier than the rest of the streets in the neighborhood because teachers use it to get to and from their parking lot for the elementary school on school days. But, the buses definitely don't use University Dr. to get to the school. They come in off Pond Path further towards Rte. 347. University Dr. is also a feed road for the rest of the community. BUT, it's a small community and the overall traffic on University is NOT substantial at all.

By the way, the oil spill neighborhood is across Pond Path and is called the "Story Book Homes" neighborhood because all the streets are named for things in old story books, Camelot, Cinderella, etc. And, that was a loooooong time ago, in the late 60's I believe, which makes it approximately 50 years ago.
Um...didnt I say that?

But as a point of fact...it happened in the 80s.
What brings you to the CD thread for LI now that youre a floridian Judy?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:07 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post

The spill occurred over a period of ten years and residents were notified in 1987.
Slow Gasoline Leak Rattles Nerves on L.I. - NYTimes.com
Quote:
Northville Industries said Monday that a plume of leaded gasoline, spread over 30 acres and nearly seven feet deep in places, had leaked for as long as a decade from a pin-size hole in an eight-inch pipe at its storage terminal here. The spill is 100 feet underground.
Suffolk County officials have stopped pumping at two drinking-well sites. The real danger, health experts said, may be fumes seeping into homes in the Story Book neighborhood. Health officials today began analyzing the first vapor samples from 15 special wells drilled near the homes. The results are expected in two days.

In Story Book, a 150-home subdivision, residents live in neat shingled houses on streets with names like Cinderella Lane, King Arthur's Court and Camelot Lane...
Northville gas spill cleanup declared complete
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island