Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 03:07 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times

Advertisements

Reading all the interpetations of what boundaries are in place (Oh I wish Walter was still with us) maybe, just maybe some consolodation would reduce the confusion and multiple layers that I am sure overlap each other...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Bridgeport and GHTD are merged in with CT Transit.....

I was just changing the subject ....
Bridgeport is not "merged" with CT Transit. GBTA is an Authority which is a direct funding recipient from the FTA.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:33 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,996,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Reading all the interpetations of what boundaries are in place (Oh I wish Walter was still with us) maybe, just maybe some consolodation would reduce the confusion and multiple layers that I am sure overlap each other...
Correct. The many layers cause a lack of transparency...EXACTLY as intended. Until a state auditor shows up every 3-5 years (maybe), we don't know how badly we are getting taken to the cleaners for mediocre service, patronage, nepotism and graft. Every audit ultimately equals a half page expose in Newsday with a letter afterwards by the head of the agency saying how all the issues "have been addressed." It's a complete crock. We are the poster child of dysfunction. It's an art and a science and so entrenched it's almost impossible to change without some sort of disaster or revolution. The disaster didn't work and we're all too busy and in disagreement for a revolution. Can't even beat Kate in an election. It's hopeless.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Having grown up in Queens, this is a completely NEW concept for me. I have NEVER heard anyone in my 30+ years of living in NYC and LI refer to Whitestone, Forest Hills, etc as a "Village". A neighborhood? yes. A small town (by non NY-ers), yes. But a village? No. When I think of villages - East Williston, Garden City, and Rockville Centre come to mind because they technically are incorporated villages.
You weren't aware of the history of the area before it became Queens? As I previously wrote, the governments of the three towns, their villages, and LIC were dissolved when Queens merged into NYC. There are people who refer to certain spots in Whitestone as Whitestone Village -- it isn't to act bougie but to delineate an area.

For those who enjoy old maps :
Whitestone Village New York Antique Map Beers 1873 - Pine Brook Antique Maps

Old 01-21-2013, 04:21 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Just as an example - my area held a referendum last month to abolish Sanitation District # 2, and people voted to keep them based on the desire to keep those sanitation workers employed (a valid concern, but not when you realize some of these Sanitation Supervisors are pulling in 6 figure salaries with all sorts of kickbacks and side job arragements ).
You'd be surprised how many people don't realize where their tax dollars are going.

My last job before I left, I worked with a very nice lady who was college educated, as was her husband, lived in a nice aforementioned "village" and sent 2 kids to Ivy League schools. Yet she had NO IDEA of the pay structure and pensions and retirement benefits available to teachers and other civil servants. And that is exactly how they want it on LI - keep working at your supposed high paying job, keep your nose to the grindstone and don't pay any attention to what's really happening. People like you and mongoose are the bane of their existence.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:57 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You'd be surprised how many people don't realize where their tax dollars are going.

My last job before I left, I worked with a very nice lady who was college educated, as was her husband, lived in a nice aforementioned "village" and sent 2 kids to Ivy League schools. Yet she had NO IDEA of the pay structure and pensions and retirement benefits available to teachers and other civil servants. And that is exactly how they want it on LI - keep working at your supposed high paying job, keep your nose to the grindstone and don't pay any attention to what's really happening. People like you and mongoose are the bane of their existence.
haha I attended a school budget meeting years ago.
When it was mentioned that the teachers in our district had "sacrificed" and were only getting a 2% raise that year instead of their original 4% raise , I mentioned the fact that they were still getting their step increases of 3.5% in addition to the 2% raise.
The other 400 taxpayers in the room looked at me as if I had two heads.
What the superintendent was doing is called "lying by omission".

Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
, I mentioned the fact that they were still getting their step increases of 3.5% in addition to the 2% raise.
".
How dare you!!!

Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,618 times
Quote:
When it was mentioned that the teachers in our district had "sacrificed" and were only getting a 2% raise that year instead of their original 4% raise , I mentioned the fact that they were still getting their step increases of 3.5% in addition to the 2% raise.
I am surprised at how few people are aware that government employees (teachers/police/bureaucrats) get these built-in step increases, which can be pretty significant depending on your line of work and are guaranteed even when no "raises" are given, and in spite of the fact that most of these employees see no change in their job responsibilities. I don't know of anywhere in the private sector (at least, the un-unionized part) where you get a 3.5% guaranteed raise every year regardless of your job performance and without assuming any extra responsibilities. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what teachers and police officers and the like do, I just think the compensation model is flawed, and expensive for taxpayers.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,996,788 times
Quote:
Hater!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 PM

34,078 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Well the money's gotta come from somewhere I guess. You can't get blood out of a stone. Bankruptcy for both counties is the next step I guess.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island