Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,739,443 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a property which shows up on the Nassau County tax rolls as having 2.5 baths instead of the actual 3.5. If you've ever looked at those records, you know that they often contain mistakes. Since the property is located in a municipality that does its own assessments, I checked with those folks and they also show 2.5 baths. So, unless both assessors are wrong or get the information from one another, it sounds like it might be an illegal bathroom.

Does anyone know where I go from here? I guess I would have to check a local building department for a C of O. And I assume if the record needs to be corrected to show the extra bath, my property taxes would go up. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 02:49 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,912,877 times
For 1 bath the tax increase is negligible. It's when you start adding square feet that your assessment figure (hence your tax amount) is truly affected.

Leave it alone unless the town says something - and I'm not sure they would see if you're not doing any large projects that require a full inspection afterward. If you are planning some work on the house, then you may want to ask the sellers do that paperwork on the bath before selling rather than leaving it to you.

Last edited by ovi8; 03-26-2013 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island