Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:09 PM

14 posts, read 59,220 times

Advertisements

What is the average cost of living in Long Island? We are a family of 3 and need to know cost of living in Farmingdale or nearby areas in NY. Please include average rent, utilities, auto gas, insurance (renters, medical and auto), groceries etc for us to have an understanding.

Any info is helpful.

Thanks

Ann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 04:14 PM

161 posts, read 321,868 times
I would need more to go on. Are you looking for a house? How big? Will it have oil or gas heat ? Auto ins? That varies obviously depending on car types, etc.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:09 PM

596 posts, read 982,750 times
My experience (also a family of three) has been that if you make less than 6 figures you will struggle if you want to live at least a "middle class lifestyle" in this area. This means that you may be able to pay your bills and buy groceries, but you won't have a lot of money left over for more frivolous things.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:13 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemanuja View Post
What is the average cost of living in Long Island? We are a family of 3 and need to know cost of living in Farmingdale or nearby areas in NY. Please include average rent, utilities, auto gas, insurance (renters, medical and auto), groceries etc for us to have an understanding.

Any info is helpful.

Thanks

Ann
Not enough info. Just the health insurance alone can vary from $1000-$3000 per month alone for a family plan NOT threw your employer. Rents for a 3 bed room can range from $1200-$3000. It all depends on what your exactly looking for.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:35 AM

75 posts, read 227,714 times
There are a lot of variables here -- much of this is contingent upon the lifestyle you're looking for. I agree with PP about the 6 digit income for comfortable living, but many people on the island are living on less. According to C-D, the average income in Farmingdale in 2009 was $74K...median home price, however, is $403K.

Other variables include what you do (i.e. is your employer picking up some of your health insurance costs?), are you thrify shoppers? Do you have expensive hobbies?

In terms of food shopping, if you shop sales, you can save a lot (we do).

Long Island is expensive and sometimes it's scary how much I feel like we need to earn to live here without stressing over money.

I'm curious to hear from people who live in Farmingdale about home prices, rent, etc.

Good luck to you! With more information, we can probably help you more!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 AM

14 posts, read 59,220 times
Avg cost of living for a family of three which should include Rent (for a 2 bedroom in a good neighborhood), Groceries per month, Utilities, Health Insurance. Lifestyle decent not too frivolous but not hand to mouth as well.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemanuja View Post
Avg cost of living for a family of three which should include Rent (for a 2 bedroom in a good neighborhood), Groceries per month, Utilities, Health Insurance. Lifestyle decent not too frivolous but not hand to mouth as well.
Again, a BASIC HMO from a major carrier (I'll assume your self employeed or your Co. does not offer health insurance) going directly to the Co. can cost you $1200-$2000 per month depending on deductables,plan benefits, ect... you choose.

Groceries: You dont know what you spend on groceries per month? (Maybe just a few bucks more for L.I.)

2 Bed room in Farmingdale (I use to live there) $1500 +/- Per month, Plus $200 +/- for utlilities.

Again, ALL depending on what you want. A basement Apt, Garden Apt, House rental? All of the above has a wide range depending on what you want.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:14 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
If you have to ask you probably cant afford to move here

Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,280 times
To much for what the place has to offer.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:03 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,423 times
If you scout around on the web, you can find cost of living calculators to tell you how much money you need to make to live in certain areas. Here's one from CNN: Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney. Just plug in, say, Charlotte, NC vs. Nassau County and look at things like the 130% difference in housing and the 49% higher utilities. It makes your hair stand on end.

To make a long story short, Long Island is one of the most expensive areas of the country. We are usually at or near the top of the national charts in the cost of: fuel oil, gasoline, property taxes, utilities, commuting and on and on. If you're moving here from any place other than Paris, London or Tokyo, make sure you have enough money to live on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: