Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 02:17 PM

5 posts, read 9,234 times

Advertisements

After having water in the basement for the 3rd time in 2 years im ready to replace the carpet down there and go with ceramic tiles, i have a couple of questions someone might be able to help me out with.
1. Any recommendations as to what to put under the tiles? Concrete sealant?
2. Would the person i get to do the tiles in the basement be the same person who would do the sealing?
3. Any recommendations as to who to use for either (or both) of the above jobs?

Basically i have 2 issues, the first is water coming up from the floor through the foundation and the other is water coming in physically from the outside if the drain gets backed up, so i was thinking the sealing and tiling would be a good option to try to reduce the headache of dealing with this problem. I also eat/drink down there reasonably frequently so the tile would be beneficial in that sense as well and the "coldness" issue doesnt bother me.

Any other random insights/experiences would be helpful also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 06:11 PM

909 posts, read 1,838,100 times
Sounds like you need a French drain.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:04 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,997,426 times
I would take care of the drainage issues before anything else.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:38 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
I wouldn't seal up the floor if you get water coming up from there when it rains. Correct that problem first. The water has to go somewhere....at least now you know where it's happening and going.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:07 AM

247 posts, read 483,428 times
Tile, tile, and tile. I anguished over the decision to tile or carpet my basement because of they cost to tile. Tile saved me from ripping out my carpet and having to install it again from Friday night's rain.

And, yes, drainage. When all was said and done, the reason why I got water in my basement was because my gutters were clogged, my downspouts were not pointed off the property, and because I did not topsoil and grade the topsoil off my foundation.

All that is being down now as we speak.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:20 AM

5 posts, read 9,234 times
Probably was not clear on the first post, I'm going to get the root of the problem before replacing the flooring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island