Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 02:58 PM

23 posts, read 90,009 times

Advertisements

Hi! I’m from Long Island and frequently go back to try and regain the accent and to enjoy all the delicious food!! I live in Colorado now.

I’ll be headed back to NY next week and will be spending some time up in the Catskills. Both of my parents’ families used to vacation there LONG AGO (my mom’s family in the 1950’s, my Dad’s family in the 1930’s and 40’s). On my last trip to the Catskills, I managed to track down where my mom’s family went with the help of a very nice clerk at the Catskill Town Hall. Shepard Farms…long since abandoned, only it was still standing when I found it. It was like a window to the past!! On this trip, I’d like to find where my Dad’s family vacationed, only that’s a little harder, as his one remaining sibling can only remember “Mountain Side House” and “Lintz Stone House.” I’m not sure if those are exact names or what. I’ve googled and I know there’s a huge Mountain House in Mohonk, I know that’s not it. I also found the “Catskill Mountain House,” but I’m almost certain that’s not it either. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 04:31 PM

903 posts, read 3,581,502 times
The Catskill hotels such as Concord, Raleigh, Kutchers and Nevele have all closed down. We used to spend Christmas week at the Raleigh every year with my grandparents when I was a kid-until I was 19 even. I think the Nevele and Kutchers are used for other things but not sure if the other hotels are even standing.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:31 PM

19,232 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingny View Post
Hi! I’m from Long Island and frequently go back to try and regain the accent and to enjoy all the delicious food!! I live in Colorado now.

I’ll be headed back to NY next week and will be spending some time up in the Catskills. Both of my parents’ families used to vacation there LONG AGO (my mom’s family in the 1950’s, my Dad’s family in the 1930’s and 40’s). On my last trip to the Catskills, I managed to track down where my mom’s family went with the help of a very nice clerk at the Catskill Town Hall. Shepard Farms…long since abandoned, only it was still standing when I found it. It was like a window to the past!! On this trip, I’d like to find where my Dad’s family vacationed, only that’s a little harder, as his one remaining sibling can only remember “Mountain Side House” and “Lintz Stone House.” I’m not sure if those are exact names or what. I’ve googled and I know there’s a huge Mountain House in Mohonk, I know that’s not it. I also found the “Catskill Mountain House,” but I’m almost certain that’s not it either. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
The Catskill Institute has one of the most complete hotel/bungalow listings for the Catskills The Catskills Institute . Another resource Vanishing Catskills show a Mountain Top Bungalow Colony Vanishing Catskills. Good luck in finding your memories...

Old 06-28-2013, 05:52 PM

20,066 posts, read 20,877,739 times
The Catskills were like the old school version of the Hamptons. Except with mountains. And no ocean. And no traffic.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:58 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The Catskills were like the old school version of the Hamptons. Except with mountains. And no ocean. And no traffic.

And it was a FAMILY resort community not a college hangout or celebrity hangout town.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:44 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,689,860 times
The slide mountain house is in Big Indian NY
Welcome to Slide Mountain Forest House

Old 06-29-2013, 09:35 AM

60 posts, read 96,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingny View Post

Google NY Irish center. Its locate in Queens. They can put you in touch will someone who did a documentary on The resorts and hotels in the catskills from years gone by.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:29 PM

332 posts, read 614,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
The Catskill hotels such as Concord, Raleigh, Kutchers and Nevele have all closed down. We used to spend Christmas week at the Raleigh every year with my grandparents when I was a kid-until I was 19 even. I think the Nevele and Kutchers are used for other things but not sure if the other hotels are even standing.

Kutchers is still standing and used as a resort hotel. The last of them around.
Nevele is still standing, recently was bought with the purposes of renovating and reopening it.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:04 PM

903 posts, read 3,581,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
Kutchers is still standing and used as a resort hotel. The last of them around.
Nevele is still standing, recently was bought with the purposes of renovating and reopening it.

Really? We went to Kutchers with a few families about 13 years ago for the weekend-it was so run down then.

I would love if they could renovate the hotels and make them a place for families to go to again.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:39 PM

764 posts, read 1,554,302 times
Villa Roma still exists also. Its been renovated and is pretty good. I was there last year in february.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island