Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:07 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,286 times

Advertisements

Marco Polo has returned from the dead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 07:32 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Is that house near Grossman's farm??? Is it still there? I was a Malvernite myself but went to the VS schools.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Is that house near Grossman's farm??? Is it still there? I was a Malvernite myself but went to the VS schools.
Grossman's farm was closer to southern state Parkway than where that house was located. You will have to remember that I was still yet a small child
at the time that the memories are formed and that as a child everything in the world looked bigger to me than it really was. Back in those days it was not so very
unusual for me to run down to the vending machine there in the bowling alley which was below the Malvern movie theater, and put a quarter in the cigarette machine
to get my fathers package of Chesterfield, we used to fight over who would get the two pennies that were packed within the cellophane when you bought your cigarettes
from a vending machine. There was a time when my own mother was the girl who worked in the ticket booth which was hardly more than a telephone booth in size, selling
tickets to the matinee or the evening performance, Malvern was just another rural town where it was good to grow up.

It may be true, that I was young man then and many years have passed between the days that were spent there in Malvern and now, but still these memories have been
preserved within my mind, they are ingrained there because a child never forgets those first impressions. Often we associate our past with the time in our lives where we
were in the care and keeping of someone who stood before us as a supreme authority, like a parent or who ever might have guided us as we came to an understanding of
life, where we were and where we were going. But to answer your question yes, that house was not too far from Grossman's farm. That photograph was given to me by one
of my relatives who had discovered it among their album and it did much to bring back those fading memories of what my childhood was like there in Malvern!

Old 01-07-2012, 06:21 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Grossman's farm was closer to southern state Parkway than where that house was located. You will have to remember that I was still yet a small child
at the time that the memories are formed and that as a child everything in the world looked bigger to me than it really was. Back in those days it was not so very
unusual for me to run down to the vending machine there in the bowling alley which was below the Malvern movie theater, and put a quarter in the cigarette machine
to get my fathers package of Chesterfield, we used to fight over who would get the two pennies that were packed within the cellophane when you bought your cigarettes
from a vending machine. There was a time when my own mother was the girl who worked in the ticket booth which was hardly more than a telephone booth in size, selling
tickets to the matinee or the evening performance, Malvern was just another rural town where it was good to grow up.

It may be true, that I was young man then and many years have passed between the days that were spent there in Malvern and now, but still these memories have been
preserved within my mind, they are ingrained there because a child never forgets those first impressions. Often we associate our past with the time in our lives where we
were in the care and keeping of someone who stood before us as a supreme authority, like a parent or who ever might have guided us as we came to an understanding of
life, where we were and where we were going. But to answer your question yes, that house was not too far from Grossman's farm. That photograph was given to me by one
of my relatives who had discovered it among their album and it did much to bring back those fading memories of what my childhood was like there in Malvern!
How long did you live in Malverne? I lived there from 1978 until 2003. Then in 2003 I moved to suffolk with my fiance (now husband) My mom still lives in Malverne.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
How long did you live in Malverne? I lived there from 1978 until 2003. Then in 2003 I moved to suffolk with my fiance (now husband) My mom still lives in Malverne.
I lived there between 1946 and 1951. I was born in 1944 and was two years old when we moved there.
I was about seven years old when we moved from Malverne to North Babylon in 1951.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:27 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
LIE,

What a wonderful home to grow up in, wish we could see the inside, but the outside looks fabulous.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,688 times
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRC55 View Post
This was a favorite hang out for my friends and I, around 1976. Fuzzy was the owner, he unfortunately passed away a few years later. Most of my friends were alumnus of West Hempstead HS. It was also a restaurant, that served excellent food, great steaks. I spent my 23rd B-Day there , and the rule was, if you didnt show up on your B-Day, dont show up again. Fuzzy and the bartender, I think his name was Eddie, and others bought me 33 Kamikazes, 2 beers, and 2 scotch and sodas. I downed this stupid mixture within an hour and a half. Took three days to get over it. I have not been able to drink a kamikaze since.
Neil WHHS Class of 1973
[EMAIL="nrc55@yahoo.com"]nrc55@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]
I've been hearing about Ickle Bickles for as long as I can remember. My dad was a bartender there for years (I'm almost certain he's the Eddie from your story - it sounds like something he would do.) It's where he met my mom (back when 19-year-olds were allowed in bars).

I cannot tell you how much it means to me to hear that it really was just like he always told me. There was always a little bit of me that thought he was making up the thing about working with Tony Danza. Of course now, I'm really starting to wonder about what my dad got up to before I was around...

My dad got out of the bar business when I was two (after I spent the first two years of my life in The Point in Malverne), but I was raised on his stories. The real reason I couldn't wait to turn 21 was so that I could go discover the places he told me about. Of course, now that I'm of age most of those places aren't around anymore. I happen to know for a fact that The Point is a McDonald's now. Still, the next time I'm on the Island (I moved to DC four years ago) I can't wait to make a pilgrimage to Connelly Station.

Oh, if any of you were wondering, my dad teaches economics now - but he always insists that he's really more of a life advisor to his seniors.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:30 AM

6 posts, read 6,623 times
I was there once, around the time of college. 72-76. Can't remember the exact date. I lived on the last block in N. Valley Stream bordering on Franklin Square.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:46 AM

1 posts, read 960 times
Default Ickle Bickle will live forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPALIRISH View Post
Yes....that Was My Dad's Old Bar!
I grew up by the shopping center on Hempstead Avenue, near the five corners. Ickle Bickle was the best, one of those memories of young years that you never lose.

That kind of place and people no longer exists, I think.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 775 times
Ickle and Bickle originally was what we called the candy store in Malverne, across from the station,when I grew up in the town in the 50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island