Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 01:19 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
There are like 3 or 4 "I hate the LIRR" threads on any given day, so my question is, Does anyone have good things to say about the railroad?
LIRR is terrific for recreational / weekend commute, and at certain times it moves fast too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 04:04 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Admittedly, I'm predjudiced, since I grew up around the rail industry, but I wish those of us here in Reading and Allentown had a fraction ofr the access to rail passenger service you have on the Island; I have to drive to Hackettstown or Somerville and stow the car, but it still beats fighting the traffic and wasting time and money on parking.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:03 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
I have really gotten in shape climbing that pedestrian bridge up and over the tracks to the parking at the Huntington station while carrying two heavy pieces of luggage. And boy do your legs get toned when you do this on icy days in the winter.

(OK, besides this gripe, I actually do like LIRR. Slow at times but better than trains in many other cities. The seats are fairly comfortable. The view out the window is interesting, sometimes even entertaining. And I especially like the train from the airport--what an improvement over taking a taxi.)

Old 09-14-2013, 10:48 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
There are like 3 or 4 "I hate the LIRR" threads on any given day, so my question is, Does anyone have good things to say about the railroad?
Yes. If I am ever feeling depressed, I just remind myself that I do not have to commute on the LIRR. This always brightens my outlook.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:28 AM

162 posts, read 383,458 times
LIRR is GREAT, compare it to the cost of gas, tolls, parking, and traffic is ALOT worse than a few LIRR delays. im on the Babylon branch and had 2 delays in the last 5 years. 40 minutes into Penn, drive in rush hour...1.5 hours in the AM 2-2.5 hours in the afternoon. this is from Baldwin.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:47 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
LIRR is terrific for recreational / weekend commute, and at certain times it moves fast too.
Is this a joke?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:58 AM

38 posts, read 76,555 times
I have some halfway decent things to say about it...

I work flex time (10 AM to about 7 PM or so), so I'm always at the back end (time-wise) of the peak trains going in and out of the city. As a result, I miss a lot of the overcrowding of the "real" peak trains--although I DO have to take these fairly often when I have to get to work earlier. I'm no stranger to that.

I'd say that the problem with the LIRR isn't the railroad itself. They do a pretty decent job of being there on time the vast, vast majority of the time, and I'm rarely ever late to work as a result of the LIRR. Maybe once every six weeks or so there'll be a serious problem that gets me in a half hour late, but my company knows I commute, and when there's a problem, I just text and tell them.

From Penn, I usually take the same two trains home from work, and it's the same deal. Once a month or so, or once every six weeks, there's some kind of problem that makes the train leave later than usual. Then, once every few months, there's something that causes a major issue. When this happens, I go ballistic and curse the LIRR up and down, but again, on a daily basis, I still find it reliable and don't doubt that the train will be there and get me home on time.

The problem with the LIRR is the people who take it. I have far more problem with the inconsiderate people on the train than I have with the LIRR itself. This isn't even about the volume of people. One jerk can cause an issue for an entire car, and every morning (and every evening), it seems like there's one of these in every car. My biggest negative impression of the LIRR (and 99% of my negative stories) comes from fellow passengers and their bizarre behavior, to the point where, for the first 13 years of our education, including kindergarten, I suggest public schools have a class called "Sitting Quietly and Not Bothering Other People."

Old 09-16-2013, 08:26 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Is this a joke?
Maybe.... why ? do you think it moves faster than the trains in 3rd world countries ?
Lets see.... 50 miles in 75 minutes, and I am not even on the Port Jeff line.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:02 AM

581 posts, read 1,244,249 times
none of the people on here complaining could do a better job of operating the LIRR or any public transportation system.

Name the public transportation system you run so i can see how well it is being running.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:37 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,664,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallywed1 View Post
LIRR is GREAT, compare it to the cost of gas, tolls, parking, and traffic is ALOT worse than a few LIRR delays. im on the Babylon branch and had 2 delays in the last 5 years. 40 minutes into Penn, drive in rush hour...1.5 hours in the AM 2-2.5 hours in the afternoon. this is from Baldwin.
You must have a very liberal definition of delay. There have been sitewide delays every week for the entire summer. I have taken the train from Valley Stream twice in the past two weeks, both times delays of 10mins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island