Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:21 PM

4 posts, read 9,258 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of buying a house in Huntington in an area called Robin Park.

The house is near Little Plains Road, North Lane and South Lane. We are not from the area and are concerned about the safety of the area and whether it would be a good investment for a starter home. The school district is Harborfields which seems great. I know that there is some areas of crime and gang activity nearthe train station but we do not know any infromation about this area. Any information someone can share with us regarding the safety of the area would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 10:44 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,193 times
I would pass, def not consistent

Old 03-17-2011, 10:55 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I would pass, def not consistent

Just curious, what do you mean by "consistent"??

Old 03-17-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Just curious, what do you mean by "consistent"??
consistent, without any areas surrounding that are of a concern

Some areas around I think are great. Some not so much.

For ex, Butterfield area is good. Maplewood area is good. Lantern, Croley, Delamere, not good. Grange, Rockne, etc, not good.

Hence my word consistent. The 4 sections around there range from nice to not so hot. May be JMO though.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification.

Not picking on you, but how far away do you believe are the "not so much" areas? Trying to get a feel for the public's "perception"...

Old 03-17-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Thanks for the clarification.

Not picking on you, but how far away do you believe are the "not so much" areas? Trying to get a feel for the public's "perception"...

On a map, the "undesirable areas" appear closer than one might prefer them to be. In person, may seem much further away than on a map view. But I guess it's all subjective.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:49 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times
Quote:

For ex, Butterfield area is good. Maplewood area is good. Lantern, Croley, Delamere, not good. Grange, Rockne, etc, not good.

Hence my word consistent. The 4 sections around there range from nice to not so hot. May be JMO though.
Interesting use of the word "consistent". I happen to agree that the house's immediate location is just fine but it is ten blocks away from somewhat 'sketchy' neighborhoods. And of course it is ten blocks away from perfectly fine neighborhoods. The district is a big plus for the house. Just watch the price...location, location location (meaning perception of location, location, location) will determine its eventual resale price). I would imagine, given the market, you can drive a pretty good bargain at this point.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:23 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Greenlawn in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiedungood View Post
We are thinking of buying a house in Huntington in an area called Robin Park.

The house is near Little Plains Road, North Lane and South Lane.
That area appears to be in Greenlawn ("Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address).

A map of the Hamlet of Greenlawn in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Greenlawn has a different border than does the "Greenlawn, NY 11740" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Greenlawn, NY 11740" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Greenlawn and a place can have other than a "Greenlawn, NY 11740" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Greenlawn): places that have a "Greenlawn, NY 11740" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Greenlawn are in the Hamlet of Huntington and the Hamlet of Elwood; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Greenlawn with a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address.

cookiedungood, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 9,258 times
Thank you everyone for your advice. The house is a pretty good price and that is a good school district. I am just afraid of buying into the wrong area and getting stuck or even worse. All your advice is appreciated.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:16 AM

Why not see for yourself? Opinions/perceptions/wants/needs vary from one person to the next.

Drive the area when school lets out, check it out on weekends, preferably during good weather, and see what it's like at night. A good way to see your possible new neighbors/neighborhood in action !
You might even want to stop and chat with a "neighbor" or two and get their input!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island