Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 02:26 PM

65 posts, read 116,887 times

Advertisements

We sold our home very quickly and our buyers finally have their mortgage commitment, but it's contingent on a CO for our dormer. We purchased the home 16 years ago with no problem...so I am going to Oyster Bay on Monday to see what is going on.

If we do need to get the CO...how long does it usually take? We are supposed to close in 4 weeks, so I'm hoping if we used an expeditor everything will work out.

HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 02:35 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreLeavingLongIsland View Post
We sold our home very quickly and our buyers finally have their mortgage commitment, but it's contingent on a CO for our dormer. We purchased the home 16 years ago with no problem...so I am going to Oyster Bay on Monday to see what is going on.

If we do need to get the CO...how long does it usually take? We are supposed to close in 4 weeks, so I'm hoping if we used an expeditor everything will work out.

HELP!!
Depends on whether or not everything is up to current code.

That's often the problem with additions/improvements without proper permits/COs. They may have been up to then current code, but if code has changed in the last 16 years (very possible), it'll involve work and $$ to remedy the situation.
An expediter familiar with the Town of Oyster Bay should be able to give you a better idea of the required timeframe once s/he has seen the items you believe need a CO.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:24 PM

332 posts, read 613,499 times
Depends. how many palms of the local GOP did you grease?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
Depends. how many palms of the local GOP did you grease?
Haaaaa...sad, but true. If I could I just might....

I went to the town today and the very nice young man looked me straight in the face and told me it takes 6-8 weeks Either he is a liar or they are all caught up...

Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,322 times
Quote:
Haaaaa...sad, but true. If I could I just might....

I went to the town today and the very nice young man looked me straight in the face and told me it takes 6-8 weeks Either he is a liar or they are all caught up...
Sorry to hear but I am sure someplace behind that desk they have a sign that says an emergency on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. That sucks because it seems like standard procedure as usual no matter what.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Sorry to hear but I am sure someplace behind that desk they have a sign that says an emergency on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. That sucks because it seems like standard procedure as usual no matter what.
Exactly! The woman at the desk behind him just looked at me like she wanted to tell me the truth...I will be old and grey before the approval gets to me.

right now I'm looking at getting an expeditor, drawing up plans, fixing to code...$$$$$$$$$.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:18 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Quote:
Exactly! The woman at the desk behind him just looked at me like she wanted to tell me the truth...I will be old and grey before the approval gets to me.

right now I'm looking at getting an expeditor, drawing up plans, fixing to code...$$$$$$$$$.
That is the right course of action. I'd start with the expeditor and go from there. He should be able to give you the right contacts on the plans etc. I would also ask him about either him or someone else coming out and doing an "inspection" to figure out what code violations you're going to have that need to be remedied. I'd probably meet with more than 1.

6-8 weeks I would think(just guessing) is optimistic for a few reasons. Even if the town can get everything done in that time period........ you don't have plans as of today to submit, you don't know if you need a variance, you don't know what needs to be fixed etc.

Do you know that you definitely don't have something started in the town? maybe things are completely different now, I don't know, but I wouldn't think full dormers go unnoticed going up, and most people would know that you need permits for it. Its not like it is a deck, front porch, shed, basement, central air........

Old 01-13-2014, 11:06 AM

I wasn't able to make copies of the CO's there were there for the garage, breezeway and deck, but she said there were not open permits or CO's in the file. The county does know about the dormer as it's reflected in our sq footage...I have no idea why the town does not have any record of it. I checked on mynassauproperty and it's clearly stated that the shed dormer was added in 1952...so not sure why they would record it with the county and not the town.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:09 AM

About the repairs...what has changed in 50 years?? I just have a small back shed dormer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island