Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:57 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover84 View Post
Wow, screw off and mind your own business. If you really need to know, my husband works 2 jobs to make sure we stay afloat with this baby, and I fell the other day when he was at work.
Maybe we found the cause of the unfriendliness, lol.

Here is a hint: if you don't want people to know your business, don't post it on a public forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 07:25 PM

145 posts, read 227,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Maybe we found the cause of the unfriendliness, lol.

Here is a hint: if you don't want people to know your business, don't post it on a public forum.

No, what he said really was rude.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:11 PM

487 posts, read 545,299 times
We moved into our home when I was pregnant with my first child. I was able to start connecting with community friends through a "mom and me" program I joined with my child. Friendships grew from there as the years went on when my child started school and through sports programs, etc. We felt so much more connected to our community. Through your child, you will be able to meet people you will have more in common with....good luck!

Old 02-16-2014, 05:29 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
I live in Levittown, and I'm appalled by how unfriendly my neighborhood is. When we moved in, only one person introduced themselves, and we've barely heard from them. We have invited them over for barbecues and cake from time to time, but never did they make any effort to have us over or anything.

I'm far into my pregnancy now, and that neighbor knows this. Not once during one of these storms have they checked up on me, offered to snow blow the walkway so I could safely get to my car, etc. It's not that I expect royal treatment or have entitlement; I just think it's common courtesy. I grew up in Queens and Smithtown, and in Smithtown I had an elderly neighbor I shoveled for during storms (no charge, of course) until we moved when I was 21. It's just beyond my reasoning when he sees me struggling sliding on ice, 7 months pregnant, watches me, and goes about his business without saying anything.

I feel like the neighbors were much much friendlier in Queens. Most there have had their houses for generations and know each other well. Everyone in my Aunt's neighborhood is very close. You would think it'd be different in the burbs, but doesn't seem that way. Though I will say my block in Smithtown were friendly, but not like when I was in the city, but still WAY better than Levittown.

It's true. I came out here from Queens also (17 years ago) and I cannot believe the difference! In Queens, I knew all my neighbors and we were all friendly and helpful to one another. Out here, you rarely see people and, when you do, it seems they go out of their way to avoid contact with other people. It's so weird. I don't think it has anything to do with people eeking out a living or anything else. People in Queens work, too, but they always found a way to be friendly to one another.

About the snow/ice: I know your husband is working two jobs. Why not ask your neighbor if he knows someone you can PAY to break up/remove the snow ice from your walkway and driveway so it's easier for you to get to/from your car without falling (again). He may just offer to do it for free (doubtful) or recommend a neighborhood kid (but be prepared to pay $40-$60 for it)

Old 02-16-2014, 07:00 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
A 50 year old man who lives with his mother, your situation isn't even on his radar. There's a reason he's 50 and still living with mom.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:16 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWords View Post
I don't mean to offend you. To be honest, I think you are expecting way too much for a man who is 50 years old and probably takes care of his own mom, to help you out simply b/c you are his pregnant neighbor whose DH is at work.
I agree 100%

Old 02-16-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Wow, screw off and mind your own business. If you really need to know, my husband works 2 jobs to make sure we stay afloat with this baby, and I fell the other day when he was at work.
Go to Craigslist. Plenty of ads from people who will come shovel you out. With that said, your reply may be a good indication of why no one helps you. Quite honestly you come off spoiled and full of entitlement.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:22 AM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
When I grew up the neighbors were so close that when I married there were 23 neighbors invited to the wedding, and I am still in touch with each of the surviving 3 now. I grew up in the 50's/60's and loved the neighborhood so much we moved just blocks away. That said, MY neighbors were friendly but it was not like it was growing up. I think both people working and kids in school have contributed to the amount of disposable time people have. I could not get neighbors to join a civic group because of the lack of family time they had together. The group met just 4 times per year about issues that impacted the area and they didn't even come out for that. I also think that this winter for you has been such a tough one that shoveling yourself out is such a chore they have no energy left to b neighborly.
We had tough winters back then, too. And storms that knocked out the power for days.

But people did NOT behave as though they had no time for anyone but themselves.

The unfriendliness might indeed be a factor of changing times. And it's not a good change. To separate and isolate people from one another is to destroy a society.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
A 50 year old man who lives with his mother, your situation isn't even on his radar. There's a reason he's 50 and still living with mom.
His mom could be living with him. You make it sound like the 50 year old is a loser, and while possible, he also could be a great son who takes care of his mom. Either way I agree he has his own life to deal with and I'm sure he doesn't sit around all day worrying about the pregnant neighbor who has a man to do the job. Not his problem if the man has 2 jobs.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:35 AM

276 posts, read 988,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Go to Craigslist. Plenty of ads from people who will come shovel you out. With that said, your reply may be a good indication of why no one helps you. Quite honestly you come off spoiled and full of entitlement.
I entirely agree with this. I have never heard anyone feel upset or annoyed that a neighbor, who has their own responsibilities and problems, isn't helping them out b/c their other half is at work. You could have also bought a home with family, extended family or friends if you need assistance when your husband is at work. Or bought that condo as I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island