Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 AM

863 posts, read 2,108,432 times

Advertisements

As someone paying back student loans the program off the top pisses me off, however thinking outside the box if done correctly maybe it can save us money in the long run.

It looks like there are versions of the program already at Cornell, and Mercy College. They are done from what I have researched at a lower cost (which might offend some)The Mercy program has graduated some 303 students since it started in 1998 and another 344 currently enrolled. The question is do we trust NY state to implement anything that does not become bloated an cost more than it's intended to save.

Gov. Cuomo Announces State Funding for College Education in Prison*|*Anthony Papa

Strong debate over plan to provide free college to NY prisoners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:58 AM

852 posts, read 1,443,734 times
Good idea. However, I think they should have to pay back their taxpayer-funded educations once they are out of prison and working. Otherwise, it wouldn't be fair to the non-incarcerated population who bust their butts to pay their own college tuition.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:31 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,902 times
Awesome idea if you ask me.
Will the prisons be visiting the high schools too ? They should lay down the criteria clearly if just getting into the prison will qualify them for college or it depends on the degree of crime.
I think we have a viable alternative to community colleges (where you have to pay).

Sorry guys .... I just cannot believe I'll have to shell more out of my pocket for this.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:35 AM

163 posts, read 246,136 times
Seriously, there isn't going to be bias against an ex-con even if he gets a degree? I'm not sure I want to be working next to an ex-con.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
Good idea. However, I think they should have to pay back their taxpayer-funded educations once they are out of prison and working. Otherwise, it wouldn't be fair to the non-incarcerated population who bust their butts to pay their own college tuition.
I agree. I personally know way too many people who are hard working individuals, paying back college tuition, which they will likely never pay back fully or pay back three to four times what they were originally loaned, (thank you, capitialized interest).

I am all for reforming the prison system, but free college for prisoners? Let them pay back the funds once they have a job and integrate back into society.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:32 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Employers aren't beating down prison doors looking for employees; what's going to make an ex-con with a degree that much more desirable? Who wants to work next to a murderer, rapist, thief, con man, etc.?

We're paying enough as it is in taxes. If this were to come to fruition, where would the money come from? What programs would honest, tax-paying citizens see cut to finance this boondoggle?

Old 02-20-2014, 12:08 PM
PPL

95 posts, read 152,220 times
can we get them to do some work so we don't have to spend so much tax on them?

Old 02-20-2014, 07:20 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
As someone paying back student loans the program off the top pisses me off, however thinking outside the box if done correctly maybe it can save us money in the long run.

It looks like there are versions of the program already at Cornell, and Mercy College. They are done from what I have researched at a lower cost (which might offend some)The Mercy program has graduated some 303 students since it started in 1998 and another 344 currently enrolled. The question is do we trust NY state to implement anything that does not become bloated an cost more than it's intended to save.

Gov. Cuomo Announces State Funding for College Education in Prison*|*Anthony Papa

Strong debate over plan to provide free college to NY prisoners

More academic inflation and taxation is exactly what NY needs. Cuomo is a brilliant man with the perfect recipe for success. Barf.

Seriously, your even going to entertain the idea of giving free tax-payer funded college to high school drop outs that rob people at gun point and beat the snot out of their GF/wives? Brilliant! All the while, the responsible non-felonious working class is saving up 80 grand and driving the same car for over a decade to pay for their kids school....Sickening.

Isn't it difficult enough to get a job after college? Scratch that, wasn't it hard enough to get the grades to get into a good college/university? You work your @-ss off to get into a school and do well, study for your SATs, deal with the social and parental pressures of getting into your ideal school and someone who dropped out of HS and decided to rape some chick gets out of prison with a piece of paper equal to your piece of paper?

The clowns are running the circus my friend.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:28 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,361,068 times
Prisoners should get nothing. No Internet. No gym. No movies. They should be in a cell left to think a out what they did. There should be no air conditioning, access to law libraries, nothing. When they break the lw, they lose all rights and privileges. Enough of this bleeding heart BS! Duomo is an ******* and makes me want to move out of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: