Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:09 AM

12 posts, read 31,009 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving from Forest Hills, NY to Nassau as our older child will be entering middle school next year. We would like to find a town with some diversity, like Forest Hills, and a walkable town, but we realize this will probably be impossible with a 550k budget. Our first choice would have been Port Washington but anything decent will probably not be in our price range. While we would also like a charming house (tutor, Victorian, etc.) and walkable town, these also might not be possible. Top priorities are good schools, short commute to NYC (possibly walking distance to train) and some diversity in religion. We are an interfaith couple (Jewish/Non-Jewish). Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 08:17 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Jewish/Non-Jewish.....got the perfect place....Massapequa....

Old 02-21-2014, 08:28 AM

791 posts, read 1,623,291 times
I can't speak to the interfaith marriage issue, but other than that, I think Lynbrook might work - some charming architecture, reasonably walkable, the train to NYC isn't too bad, and there are some solid options in your price range. The school district isn't in the uppermost tier of LI schools, but it performs pretty solidly.

Rockville Centre would probably be a better fit on all fronts, to be honest, but I don't think it'll work with your budget.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:56 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
I often read posts where people believe the south is so hung up on ones faith but here is a poster on the LI Board who is concerned that they are an interfaith marriage!!! Who cares, find a neighborhood you like and can afford and move in; are you expecting a cross burning in the yard if you choose the wrong neighborhood???

Old 02-21-2014, 09:32 AM

487 posts, read 545,411 times
As far as Tudor home communities that I know of, Mineola has a section of tudor homes in the southeastern part of the town - just north of Old Country Road and east of Roslyn Road. The commute is excellent into NYC (30/35 min) with permit parking for residents. The school district is not in the top 10 but it is also a solid school district which has made great strudes in recent years. The middle school is in the Park section of Mineola across from Chaminade HS to use as a landmark if you are not familiar with the area. The Tudor section is close to many restaurants and movie theatres being close to Roosevelt Field Mall yet away from the congestion that the mall draws. There are also some lovely quaint restaurants in and around the surrounding areas. As far as the inter-faith issue which you addressed, there is but not a large Jewish population in the district as you would find elsewhere.

There is also a small section of Williston Park, north of Hillside Avenue and just east of Herricks Road that has Tudor homes. This part of Williston Park is in the Herricks school district which is a very respectable/high achieving district as you said this is one of your priorities. It is a diverse district, and you will find more inter-faith families there. You can travel to NYC from the East Williston or Mineola train stations.

I believe Floral Park and New Hyde Park have sections of Tudor homes (?)......perhaps other posters more familiar with those areas can elaborate. Both have very respectable school districts. New Hyde Park is more diverse than Floral Park, both having good commutes into NYC. Your price range would work in all of these areas as well as easy access to restaurants/movies, etc. Floral Park has a lovely, quaint small town feel/Main Street.

Good luck in your search. The hardest part is targeting a community/school district/commute to fit your needs. Hope this was helpful in some way.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 AM

163 posts, read 246,097 times
I agree, the interfaith thing isn't an issue. Finding a house in that price range with good schools and good commute could be hard. Both things there tend to inflate the price quite significantly, especially in Nassau.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:44 AM

260 posts, read 450,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
As far as Tudor home communities that I know of, Mineola has a section of tudor homes in the southeastern part of the town - just north of Old Country Road and east of Roslyn Road. The commute is excellent into NYC (30/35 min) with permit parking for residents. The school district is not in the top 10 but it is also a solid school district which has made great strudes in recent years. The middle school is in the Park section of Mineola across from Chaminade HS to use as a landmark if you are not familiar with the area. The Tudor section is close to many restaurants and movie theatres being close to Roosevelt Field Mall yet away from the congestion that the mall draws. There are also some lovely quaint restaurants in and around the surrounding areas. As far as the inter-faith issue which you addressed, there is but not a large Jewish population in the district as you would find elsewhere.

There is also a small section of Williston Park, north of Hillside Avenue and just east of Herricks Road that has Tudor homes. This part of Williston Park is in the Herricks school district which is a very respectable/high achieving district as you said this is one of your priorities. It is a diverse district, and you will find more inter-faith families there. You can travel to NYC from the East Williston or Mineola train stations.

I believe Floral Park and New Hyde Park have sections of Tudor homes (?)......perhaps other posters more familiar with those areas can elaborate. Both have very respectable school districts. New Hyde Park is more diverse than Floral Park, both having good commutes into NYC. Your price range would work in all of these areas as well as easy access to restaurants/movies, etc. Floral Park has a lovely, quaint small town feel/Main Street.

Good luck in your search. The hardest part is targeting a community/school district/commute to fit your needs. Hope this was helpful in some way.

I also would suggest Mineola, same exact area as above poster. Great commute to the city and the mall is close yet far enough. Schools are good and you can find homes within your price range. I don't know about the interfaith thing...I assume it wouldn't matter in a place like Mineola? I only say that because there are some major Jewish centers nearby- Shelter Rock Jewish Center in Rosyln. Mineola doesn't have a large Jewish population but neighboring areas do.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:50 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I often read posts where people believe the south is so hung up on ones faith but here is a poster on the LI Board who is concerned that they are an interfaith marriage!!! Who cares, find a neighborhood you like and can afford and move in; are you expecting a cross burning in the yard if you choose the wrong neighborhood???
um, they said they're looking for "and some diversity in religion". That doesn't really scream out to me that they're overly concerned about cross burning....or anything.
But if this makes you feel better about what others may or may not have said about the south than have at it hoss!

Old 02-21-2014, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the info. We really liked floral park for the short commute, walkability and charming houses. However, we were a bit concerned that our kids might be the only ones celebrating the Jewish holidays. We will also check Williston Park. We were also considering RVC but in the Oceanside school district (more our price range).

Old 02-21-2014, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the info. What do you think about RVC but Oceanside schools? We may be able to afford something in our price range. Also, I notice that Lynbrook houses are very affordable and look quite charming. Why is that community not viewed more positively?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island