Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:24 AM

519 posts, read 597,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I'm all for speed cameras! What will happen is that most people will stop speeding to avoid tickets. We will all be safer. And if people stop speeding we will need fewer cops to set speed traps on the highways. Fewer cops means lower taxes, right?

But the chance of Nassau County reducing the police force and lowering taxes is about the same chance as hell freezing over.
Never EVER going to happen.

I wish our parents and grandparents understood politics better.

Once you introduce a new tax (and a new tax it is) you grow the fascist machine ever larger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 11:09 AM

622 posts, read 853,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I'm all for speed cameras! What will happen is that most people will stop speeding to avoid tickets. We will all be safer. And if people stop speeding we will need fewer cops to set speed traps on the highways. Fewer cops means lower taxes, right?

But the chance of Nassau County reducing the police force and lowering taxes is about the same chance as hell freezing over.
Really? First pre-k, now the speeding cam thing...

Check out the safety stats on the red-light cams; they actually inspire more hazardous driving as folks either jam on the brakes to stop or speed up to make the yellow. On the other hand, they make a fortune for the county. A fortune the county then squanders on anything not useful to the public (apparently).

And how do you leap to fewer cops due to speed trap cams? Just like with the pre-k thingy, the whole police thing is an obvious way to bleed money from your pocket. The number of active cops on duty has nothing to do with surveilled traps.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:43 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I want to speed. ********* and your safety.
The union employees want to thank you for your donation.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
thought this was interesting read.

By
Ashby Jones
Updated Feb. 27, 2014 4:11 p.m. ET

Local and state governments across the country are tapping the brakes on red-light cameras.
After a decade of steady growth, the number of communities using cameras to catch drivers who run stoplights has fallen about 6% since 2012, to 508, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a nonprofit research group funded by the automobile-insurance industry.

Seven states currently ban them altogether, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures, and several more, including Ohio and Florida, are considering such prohibitions.

Studies of whether cameras, typically mounted on fixtures beside the road, improve traffic safety are numerous and often point to contradictory conclusions. Many locations, including some big cities, have no plans to get rid of them. And suppliers of the cameras say the total number of cameras in use continues to grow, largely thanks to some larger cities, such as Washington, expanding their programs.
"Opponents of the industry would like the story to be that the demise of the red-light camera is upon us, but nothing could be farther from the truth," said Charles Territo, a spokesman for Tempe, Ariz.,-based American Traffic Solutions, Inc., a leading camera contractor.

But an increasing number of city and county officials are questioning their worth—and pulling the plug. They cite the hassles of dealing with erroneous tickets and complaints from drivers, many of whom perceive the cameras as invasive. Mostly, however, officials point to studies that claim the cameras do little to reduce accidents—and in some cases may increase them.

"It was time for them to go," said John Ducey, the mayor of Brick, N.J., which officially dismantled its red-light camera program last week, despite the cameras filling town coffers.

Mr. Ducey cited city statistics showing a rise in accidents at intersections where cameras were added in 2010, as part of a state pilot project. "The only justification for them is to improve safety, but it seems ours were doing exactly the opposite."

Red-light cameras have been in use since at least the 1990s, but widespread adoption didn't come until the last decade. There were 540 communities using them in 2012, more than 10 times the number in 2001, according to the IIHS. They include a number of big cities, such as New York, Chicago, Atlanta and Phoenix.

The rapid growth was accompanied by aggressive marketing on behalf of camera contractors, including American Traffic Solutions and Redflex Holdings Ltd. based in Australia. The companies say their cameras catch more drivers running red lights, which deters careless driving and cuts down on accidents.

And many cities and towns have found another benefit: more ticket revenue without the need to hire new police officers.

Mr. Ducey, the mayor of Brick, said its cameras brought the town and state $813,000 last year—"vastly" more than likely ticket revenue if the cameras hadn't been in place. Miami brought in $5.8 million from camera violations in fiscal year 2012-13, a study commissioned by Florida's legislature said.
The contractors and supporters of the cameras say the safety benefits are well established. Russ Rader, an IIHS spokesman, pointed to a 2011 study by the group, its most recent on the issue, that showed significantly lower fatal-crash rates at intersections in cities with cameras than in those without them.
"I'm a big fan," said Jim Simms, a councilman in Amarillo, Texas, which installed cameras at five intersections in 2007, and recently decided to add them to four more. Mr. Simms said city records show that accidents at the five intersections fell from 69 in 2008 to 25 in 2013. "The records don't lie—these things make our streets safer," he said.

But many elsewhere disagree and have moved to get rid of them. Voters in Houston banned them in 2010 after a four-year run. Los Angeles ended its program the following year citing in part a lack of evidence that the camera program, in place for more than a decade, was making intersections any safer. El Mirage, Ariz., and Pasadena, Calif., ended their programs in 2012; San Diego, Poway, Calif., and League City, Texas, followed suit last year.

More programs could see the ax in 2014. Courts in Missouri have recently deemed red-light camera programs invalid because they conflict with traffic laws enacted at the state level. And legislatures in a number of states are considering bills to do away with them, partly because of the financial costs they impose on drivers.

"Red-light cameras are backdoor tax increases, plain and simple," said Florida Sen. Jeff Brandes, a Republican and sponsor of a bill that would outlaw them statewide. "They're sold as safety measures, but they're really more about revenue."

Mr. Brandes pointed to the state study released this month showing that rear-end collisions at red-light-camera intersections on state roads increased 35% since 2010, when cameras were introduced in Florida, and that crashes overall jumped 12% in the same period.

Critics in Florida and elsewhere flag other hitches with red-light cameras. In most places, cities mail notices of violations captured on camera to the owner of a vehicle, rather than to the driver, a process that can cause headaches for owners who weren't driving.

The systems can also prove tricky for places with nuance in their traffic laws. For instance, Florida law allows drivers to make right turns on red in a "careful and prudent manner," without requiring drivers to come to a full stop. Recognizing the ambiguity, the city of Clermont, Fla., earlier this month rescinded dozens of tickets issued to people who made rolling right turns on red lights.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:22 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Looks like the speed cameras are going to be installed in school zones.

Gov. Cuomo plans to bring speed cameras to Long Island school zones - News 12 Long Island

Old 04-02-2014, 03:10 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,673 times
How about building a industry instead of cheep retails stores although i am for speed cameras in school zones.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:14 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Looks like the speed cameras are going to be installed in school zones.

Gov. Cuomo plans to bring speed cameras to Long Island school zones - News 12 Long Island
I wonder if they will actually deactivate or have the higher limits when school zone limits are not in effect.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:09 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I wonder if they will actually deactivate or have the higher limits when school zone limits are not in effect.
Based on the fact that you get a full price ticket for speeding in a construction zone even when there's no construction happening, I doubt it.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:22 PM

400 posts, read 761,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Based on the fact that you get a full price ticket for speeding in a construction zone even when there's no construction happening, I doubt it.
I believe they will only be active between school hours up until 4:10PM. This almost reminds me of guaranteed pension growth of 7-8%... if the pension administrator doesn't earn 7-8% or above, the taxpayers get to cover the difference. I think this will be one of those situations -- and if the cameras expand and increase revenues, I guarantee the union comes back and says see.. THERE IS ENOUGH money, now we want back pay!

Old 04-02-2014, 07:23 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
How about building a industry instead of cheep retails stores although i am for speed cameras in school zones.
Pulling in industry would mean a huge change to the dynamics, politics, and economics to the area. In other words, it will never happen.

As a guy with "Autoracer" in his name I would have thought you'd have learned from the race-course debacle at the old Grumman strip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island