Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:35 AM

429 posts, read 852,872 times

Advertisements

I've been doing some research about the different types of Gutter Guard options out there and I'm wondering what others are using and what their experiences have been.

We have an expanded cape, with a 2nd floor rear dormer that is difficult for us to get at (both of us are not good with heights) and we really want to do what we can to minimize the gutter clogging as we can't even see the insides of the gutters to know whether or not they need to be cleaned.

I've looked into a few options and initially the one I was most interested in was the LeafGuard system, but I read some reviews that it caused really bad ice-damming in the northeast, since the opening for water drainage is so small and could get frozen-closed, preventing the water/snow/melting ice from draining properly.

I've looked at LeafRelief, which is more of the mesh plastic or metal screens that cover the gutter. This seems okay, but wouldn't wet leaves and debris still sit on top of this mesh, potentially blocking water drainage, or do they just roll right off the side? If they get washed off, do they get on the sides of the house?

I also heard of a product called GutterStuff, which is essentially a special foam that gets fitted INSIDE of a traditional gutter, preventing them from getting clogged, but allowing water to drain through the foam and through the regular gutter drainage system.
This was interesting to me, but I was concerned about mold growth and I read that the foam is formulated to PREVENT mold growth. My only other concern is how long-term sun/water/freezing exposure would affect the foam inserts.

Are there any other options out there I'm not considering? What do you have installed and what type of home do you have? Likes/dislikes? Worth the installation costs?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 10:40 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,079,693 times
I bought some brand of gutter guards at Home Depot about 15 years ago and installed them on my garage roof. Stuff still goes through them, I don't know how but a few years ago I cleaned the gutters and they were full of black soil that apparently resulted from leaves composting in them over the years.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:40 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,808 times
I had leaf relief installed about 4 years ago. They work great and I haven't cleaned a gutter since then.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:17 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
I asked my friend who did the mesh and he has ice damming issues too. The metal mesh freezes too (obviously).

Fortunate not to have many trees on my property anymore.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:30 PM

730 posts, read 1,301,697 times
On my last house I made the mistake of having one of the solid gutter guards installed; caused ice dams like you would NOT believe. Had to pay twice (once for the expensive install, and again to have them all removed).

The only effective gutter guard system is to not have any trees within leaf/branch/acorn/etc falling distance of your roof. Hard to accomplish on the typical 1/4, 1/3 or even 1/2 acre LI lot. :-(

Old 03-02-2014, 02:30 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I asked my friend who did the mesh and he has ice damming issues too. The metal mesh freezes too (obviously).

Fortunate not to have many trees on my property anymore.
if you have hemlocks or similar trees, the mesh does not stop the needles either. I tore mine off after a few years.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:34 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,573 times
Hire a day worker at your local 7 11 store

Old 03-04-2014, 02:21 PM

409 posts, read 511,970 times
Smart Gutter guard system.Lifetime Warranty, made out of stainless steel. Durable enough to outlast your gutters and leaders.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:53 PM

45 posts, read 93,626 times
I prefer steel mesh gutter guards; they're easy to install, not necessarily cheaper, but in the long run they do a better job.
What most people just don't get is that no matter what, seasonal cleaning of your gutters (spring and fall) will result in better performance and less hassles all around.

Ice Dams are never caused by gutters; inadequate ventilation of roofs causes that. When the roof is hot on top and cold at the gutter, the snow melts - and whet it hits ice-cold gutters, it freezes back up. By maintaining an even temperature, the snow melts much more gradually, reducing the chances of ice dams.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:46 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
metal or plastic mesh covering doesn't work to well. The sandy stuff & debris from the roof still goes in.

I got the foam stuff but haven't installed them....I am curious if it works as wel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island