Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 10:36 AM

674 posts, read 1,155,304 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I heard from two person who bought beautiful house in Long Island to be exact (Smithtown) in short sale.

I checked MLSLI.com and found none for short sale. How do I find the short sale house which are on the market? Can someone help me?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 AM

783 posts, read 1,422,843 times
at the MLSLI.com home page, click more search options, select Yes to short sale.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:14 PM

17 posts, read 29,541 times
Or try redfin - but be aware that short sales take a long time to go through from offer/acceptance/closing. When I sold it took almost 1.5 years. And even then the bank screwed over the agents involved forcing them to take less commission (Chase)...thus why a lot of agents shy away from them as well. Maybe you should try and contact an attorney that specializes in short sales who will then refer you to an agent that they work with...

Old 04-29-2014, 01:57 PM

674 posts, read 1,155,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerCamL99 View Post
Or try redfin - but be aware that short sales take a long time to go through from offer/acceptance/closing. When I sold it took almost 1.5 years. And even then the bank screwed over the agents involved forcing them to take less commission (Chase)...thus why a lot of agents shy away from them as well. Maybe you should try and contact an attorney that specializes in short sales who will then refer you to an agent that they work with...
Thanks for your reply. Is it true that short sale house, you can buy very cheap for 100K less than going price? It sounds to good to be true!!

Old 04-29-2014, 02:22 PM

17 posts, read 29,541 times
Any thing is possible...the main issue will be whether or not the bank will let you into the house. Some are as is and boarded up where there could be damage from the previous owners...people get pissed that the bank will not work with them or during a divorce take out their anger on the house...or it could be no one has lived there for awhile and the house is robbed of all appliances and pipes, etc.

Ive seen a situation where a buyer went to a house and the seller flooded the basement by leaving a faucet on (seller didnt want to leave just yet). That was in Lynbrook.

The biggest deals will end up going to investors who want to flip the property...but if you are not in a rush and can take your time there are good deals to be had.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:38 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,232,605 times
Don't confuse a foreclosure with a short sale. Almost always, a foreclosure will be gutted and there will be significant damage. When I was househunting, we went to 2 short sales--one home was immaculate but the other, while there wasn't damage to the house, one of the owners removed all the high end appliances. They sunk all their money into flipping the house and ended up divorcing so she took all the appliances to retaliate. We also saw 2 foreclosures. They pulled the toilet bowl out of the bathroom and put it in the kitchen. It was in horrible condition. I believe all foreclosures are "as is". I know people who bought short sales and were able to negotiate, which I thought was impossible. Banks are not in the business of buying and selling homes. They want the money back that they loaned.

Banks should have short sale and foreclosure listings if you don't want to go through a real estate agent.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:56 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Banks should have short sale and foreclosure listings if you don't want to go through a real estate agent.
All short sales and bank owned properties must be listed with a broker; they will not deal with buyers directly. (My interpretation is that this will give the property the widest possible exposure, which theoretically would lead to the highest possible price.)
So you can either approach the listing agent or find your own - either way, you're stuck with one of us

Old 04-29-2014, 03:42 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,232,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
All short sales and bank owned properties must be listed with a broker; they will not deal with buyers directly. (My interpretation is that this will give the property the widest possible exposure, which theoretically would lead to the highest possible price.)
So you can either approach the listing agent or find your own - either way, you're stuck with one of us
LOL...Thanks Elke! I thought at one time banks provided listings.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:53 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
LOL...Thanks Elke! I thought at one time banks provided listings.

I'm sure you can find listings if you look around. But you still need an agent as a go-between

Old 04-29-2014, 04:19 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Thanks for your reply. Is it true that short sale house, you can buy very cheap for 100K less than going price? It sounds to good to be true!!
Not too good to be true. BUT, you need a lot of patience, a cast iron stomach to deal with the delays and ups and downs that a short sale will entail. Shorts are where the homeowner has defaulted in his/her mortgage payment. Many times that is due to health problems, job loss etc. Thinking about it this way if the homeowner can't afford to pay the mortgage, what else has been neglected? Something that needs repair maybe? Now you can win big with a short sale purchase but the bank has to agree to accept the offer and the sellers need to be able to close from a financial perspective. Lots to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island