Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 10:39 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
This thread has turned to focus on the poop side of things. But with respect to the pee--is that rude behavior? When I walk my dog she routinely pees on that grass strip... where else is she going to go? Is what I am doing objectionable?
Yea this sort of pisses me off - the urine kills the grass verge. Leaves dead patches.

Mind you I'll deal with that as all the owners here where I live pick up the poop.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 12:24 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
This thread has turned to focus on the poop side of things. But with respect to the pee--is that rude behavior? When I walk my dog she routinely pees on that grass strip... where else is she going to go? Is what I am doing objectionable?
Yes, it is rude. "Curb your dog" is a commonly known phrase that means your dog should relieve him/her-self on the street side of the curb, preferably in front of your own house.

Ideally, dog walkers should first let the dog go on their own property and then feel free to carouse the streets.

isn't all of this common sense? Why would anyone think it is okay to have their relieve itself on someone else property?

What would you think if I took my two-year old and let her crap on your front lawn with the dismissive explanation of "Ill clean it up"?

Jesus Christ am I in a bad mood.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:25 PM

17 posts, read 29,532 times
Sometimes you have to kill people with kindness. When I lived in Oceanside a person walked his dog on my lawn to urinate, and as I came out for my morning commute; literally I said hello. He never walked his dog on my grass again. I never had a gripe about it, lol (I honestly didnt even see the dog). So just try and say Hi. See if that works. LOL!

Old 05-19-2014, 02:35 PM

45 posts, read 92,143 times
Put a 'curb your dog' sign up.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:08 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Not that I disagree with what anyone one has posted (except bear traps....lol).....BUT the strip is town property not the homeowners. There is covent that in most towns that you must maintain the strip and shovel the sidewalk (which less than 20% of the people do).

Old 05-19-2014, 04:08 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Yes, it is rude. "Curb your dog" is a commonly known phrase that means your dog should relieve him/her-self on the street side of the curb, preferably in front of your own house.

Ideally, dog walkers should first let the dog go on their own property and then feel free to carouse the streets.

isn't all of this common sense? Why would anyone think it is okay to have their relieve itself on someone else property?

What would you think if I took my two-year old and let her crap on your front lawn with the dismissive explanation of "Ill clean it up"?

That would be ideal, but dogs just don't poop on demand. Sometimes they need to warm up by walking around the area and sniffing. Dogs often poop more than once too, so you may let the dog poop on your own property and then the dog poops some more on the walk. Dogs also like to poop and pee where other dogs have gone. A lot of dogs sniff, sniff, sniff and then pee a little bit and repeat throughout the walking process. That is called "checking and answering their p-mail."

To avoid smearing poop on the grass, etc., when I was walking my dog, I would simply put the pooper scooper right under her when pooping and catch the poop before it hit the ground. Problem solved.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Not that I disagree with what anyone one has posted (except bear traps....lol).....BUT the strip is town property not the homeowners. There is covent that in most towns that you must maintain the strip and shovel the sidewalk (which less than 20% of the people do).
True, but people tend to think it is "theirs" anyway just like some people think the parking spot(s) in front of their house are their property too.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:57 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post

Basically you are expected people to never take walks with their dogs. B/c dogs do not poop on command. Often a walk and sniffing where other dogs have been, stimulates them to relieve themselves. As long as people are picking it up and not PURPOSELY coming to my lawn only, then it is what it is.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:14 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
It's common courtesy sense.
It is well known in the burbs that most people spend a lot of money on upkeep for the town owned strip of grass that they are responsible to maintain.

Why some people think it's fine to let their dogs **** and crap on it is beyond me. And then get pissed off if you ask them not to. Pay my landscaping bill and you can let Mr. Mittens do whatever he wants on my responsibly maintained town owned strip of grass.

It's rude. It's wrong. End of story.
Curb your dog.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:28 AM

344 posts, read 717,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
The pee kills the grass.
That is exactly why I have the dog pee on the grass strip.

I think is something that, as a homeowner in the suburbs, you must deal with. Besides, she is only a small, 10-pound, cute doggy woggy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: