Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
CRV...can you please come out from your million dollar home in East Williston and smell the roses. Besides, don't you have to complain about airplane noise (about 20 threads on it here started by you).
Must be a rough life over there in East Williston. Those big, bad airplanes are interrupting your golf game at Wheatley Country club.
So we're going to argue about airplane noise too? This is shaping up to be a great thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 12:11 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You know how things go on these threads, especially since you're always gleefully lurking from the capitol of the confederacy for a chance to throw in your two cents! LOL!
It's cheap entertainment but it fills the day.... Glad we have paid professionals who get in trouble if their vehicles are seen away from home....

Old 05-21-2014, 12:12 PM

538 posts, read 1,007,864 times
Quote:
The Nassau County Police Ambulances are what responds to any injury type emergencies I see in my neighborhood. A couple of years ago the police (in a police car) and their EMTs (in a Nassau County Police Ambulance) responded to an emergency like this for my next-door neighbor and I actually asked one of the police officers why they always seem to respond instead of the FD and he told me that they prefer to have NC respond in case of injury or liability issues that may come up with the vollies when responding to individuals.

Nassau County Police Department - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ummmm...you know another reason why NCPD wants to be there for all calls?? Because they CHARGE you money for it!!! Volunteer ambulance runs to the hospital are free of charge. NCPD will send you a bill.

Trust me on this, I think NCPD has about maybe 16-20 ambulances on call for the entire county of Nassau. Do you really think they can handle the ambulance call volume with just 18 ambulances?????
The fact that you saw 1 NCPD at an emergency a couple years ago doesn't mean it solely covers your area. It just happens that the ambulance driver wasn't on another call at the time during dispatch.

EDIT... If you want, send me a private message on what town you live in. I can find out how many calls the Dept responds to every year, compared to NCPD. And noooo, I'm not looking for an address from you. Just the town name. I'm not a stalker...I just play one on tv.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
It's cheap entertainment but it fills the day.... Glad we have paid professionals who get in trouble if their vehicles are seen away from home....
Ugh reading comprehension.

They are vollies not paid professionals.

Who said any of them got in trouble in any of the scenarios described? I don't know of any cases and nobody has posted one in the thread so far.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Ugh reading comprehension.

They are vollies not paid professionals.

Who said any of them got in trouble in any of the scenarios described? I don't know of any cases and nobody has posted one in the thread so far.
Ugh reading comprehension

I know they are vollies, I was saying I am glad ours are paid and they get in trouble if found traveling away from home. This isn't the first post I've read on here about volunteer fire departments..

Old 05-21-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
Ummmm...you know another reason why NCPD wants to be there for all calls?? Because they CHARGE you money for it!!! Volunteer ambulance runs to the hospital are free of charge. NCPD will send you a bill.

Trust me on this, I think NCPD has about maybe 16-20 ambulances on call for the entire county of Nassau. Do you really think they can handle the ambulance call volume with just 18 ambulances?????
The fact that you saw 1 NCPD at an emergency a couple years ago doesn't mean it solely covers your area. It just happens that the ambulance driver wasn't on another call at the time during dispatch.

EDIT... If you want, send me a private message on what town you live in. I can find out how many calls the Dept responds to every year, compared to NCPD. And noooo, I'm not looking for an address from you. Just the town name. I'm not a stalker...I just play one on tv.
I didn't just see it once. I see it all the time around here, and not just for houses, responding to emergencies in stores where a customer needs help and even for car accidents. I only ASKED a question of the police about it once.

Read the wiki I linked to:

Quote:
The department operates 18-26 Braun Type-III modular-style ambulances on any given day, each designated a 4 digit unit number 23xx. All ambulances are advanced life support ambulances and carry heart monitors, defibrillators, oxygen, trauma dressings and other vital equipment.

The NCPD Emergency Ambulance Bureau covers over 60,000 calls per year with 22 units operating.

A small number of EAB personnel are designated "Tactical AMTs," specially trained and equipped to operate with the NCPD's Bureau of Special Operations to rescue wounded officers and civilians under fire.
Valley Stream, non-fire/catastrophe calls only, and please cite your sources.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Ugh reading comprehension

I know they are vollies, I was saying I am glad ours are paid and they get in trouble if found traveling away from home. This isn't the first post I've read on here about volunteer fire departments..
Oh okay! Now be prepared to be bashed because you're glad! LOL!

Old 05-21-2014, 12:36 PM

538 posts, read 1,007,864 times
Quote:
I didn't just see it once. I see it all the time around here, and not just for houses, responding to emergencies in stores where a customer needs help and even for car accidents. I only ASKED a question of the police about it once.

Read the wiki I linked to:

Valley Stream, non-fire/catastrophe calls only, and please cite your sources.
If my memory serves me correct. I think your town doesn't have a ambulance. Not every vollie town does. Sometime neighboring towns cover other towns for their ambulance calls. I know the next town over (Lynbrook) has their own, as does East Rockaway,Malverne . I think you need to move to Port Washington.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Oh okay! Now be prepared to be bashed because you're glad! LOL!
Touche' can't win either way.....

Old 05-21-2014, 01:07 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
That's a nice fantasy.

You can put *67 and then call so they won't know you are out of state.

If you really think someone is going to let a strange voice on the phone grill them extensively about something that sounds like it will lead one of their own to trouble, you're sadly mistaken.

What they will do if you call is refuse to answer any of your questions and ask your name and number and tell you someone will call you back.

PS: If you're willing to put your idea to the test, I was on the GW Bridge going towards NY on Sunday at around 4:30 pm.
If I lived there I would make the call, but since I no longer have a home on LI, I will leave that to one of you. I do not share the view that many do, that the systems is being grossly misused. Is it perfect, No. Do trucks/cars get driven when they should not be, yes. The degree to which this is happening, I believe is much less than you think. Gone are the days of the big trips and parties of years ago.

I might also add that while I understand that your tax dollars are being spent, not mine, I also had a neighbor who was a volunteer. Freezing winter, blazing summer, and a fire call came in, he was always there, no matter what. I was thankful for his service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island