Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:49 PM

622 posts, read 853,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
I don't have a comparison for the admin salaries, but do you really think what the teachers in NYS make is *flippin huge compared to any other state*? Tell me you think teachers in Mass, DC, CT, Cali, NJ, etc are all overpaid too- fine, I can respect your opinion. But I just don't see the difference in salaries btwn NYS & the states I mentioned as being *flippin huge*.

How much teachers get paid — state by state - The Washington Post
I'm not talking about NYS, I'm talking about Long Island and YES, Long Island's teachers get paid a whole load more than the paltry $75k+ mentioned on the Washington Post's map. You can find many sources of payroll information for LI teacher's salaries.

It's not uncommon to find a gym teacher in my district making $115k/annum. With pension and bennies, time off, sick days, etc., total comp estimates are as high $165k for said teacher making $115k.

The WP map you're linking gives an average number that's state-wide. Upstate NY school districts pay far less than down state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 08:04 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
I'm not talking about NYS, I'm talking about Long Island and YES, Long Island's teachers get paid a whole load more than the paltry $75k+ mentioned on the Washington Post's map. You can find many sources of payroll information for LI teacher's salaries.

It's not uncommon to find a gym teacher in my district making $115k/annum. With pension and bennies, time off, sick days, etc., total comp estimates are as high $165k for said teacher making $115k.

The WP map you're linking gives an average number that's state-wide. Upstate NY school districts pay far less than down state.
I was responding to a post specifically complaining about NY state teachers salaries & unions...but yes LI teachers are paid more but cost of living is also higher.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:27 AM

4 posts, read 6,479 times
As a recently retired employee of a very good Suffolk SD, I saw exactly where the dollars are spent (worked in Business Office). NY State dictates many of the Spec ed services being provided and the industry of outside providers is raking in ridiculous amounts of many at the expense of taxpayers and not necessarily to any benefit of the students. I had my own daughter de-classified because I was very disappointed in the quality of services and negative impact she was having. I resided in one of the "top" districts in Suffolk btw. I was concerned that rather than helping her reach more challenging work, the mindset of the Special Ed community was to minimize the challenges and make too many allowances. I wanted her to be prepared to succeed in the real world without those "allowances". There was also tremendous waste hiring consultants and programs to continue educating the Teachers who had these programs or trainings during their workday, many times with lunch served (at taxpayer expense of course). The district paid sub teachers during the trainings to cover the classes and most obscene of all, most of these consultants or trainers were "friends" of administrators hand selected by them and approved by the board of ed. I could go on forever with the waste at the top but it's futile because the board of ed has given the admi istrators carte blanche!!!

Old 06-15-2014, 10:37 PM

148 posts, read 248,084 times
If this were done, the resistance would expose Long Island as the leading front of the Jim Crow era today.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea to consolidate the school districts, but those who comfort themselves in having 24/7 servants begging for minimum wage HHA and Home Cleaner jobs would STRONGLY oppose it for less than good reasons.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:29 PM
cml

180 posts, read 290,444 times
Long Island is way overdue for consolidation in both Nassau and Suffolk there are some school districts that do not have High Schools or Middle School those districts should be consolidated asap why have a school district that does not have a high school does not make any sense

Old 07-23-2014, 04:08 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
It'll never happen, because the current system is too entrenched, and the people with the power to actually make it happen are precisely the people who would get no benefit from it. That said, I have friends who grew up here and now teach in other places where there are county-wide school districts, and they have nothing but good things to say about the format, so I think you're right, it would be beneficial overall.
You also have to factor in how populated LI is. Other counties where your friends are in schools like this probably are not nearly as populated as we are. I worry there will be too many children and not enough resources or funding.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 PM

60 posts, read 121,655 times
I saw on another thread mentioning the "need" to combine schools districts across Suffolk and Nassau... What I really think would help people in disadvantaged neighborhood would be the addition of specialized high schools for gifted students. Doesn't matter whee it would be, just open it up to the LI students. Gives a bit of an even playing field and a chance for kids from poorer neighborhoods (who are truly motivated) to compete for a better future~

Old 07-24-2014, 06:43 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
I was responding to a post specifically complaining about NY state teachers salaries & unions...but yes LI teachers are paid more but cost of living is also higher.
And why is our cost of living higher? Is there any correlation between the high cost of living and the unions which drive our high taxes?

Old 07-24-2014, 07:10 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
You also have to factor in how populated LI is. Other counties where your friends are in schools like this probably are not nearly as populated as we are. I worry there will be too many children and not enough resources or funding.
Speaking only for my sister's county in Florida: St John's County's population is a smidgen over 200,000 people. Non union teachers work in schools that are top in the state and rank high in the US -- higher than a number of LI schools.

Here, our budget increases and programs are reduced or cut on a regular basis.

We're too large an area to consider countywide consolidation. Town of Brookhaven is the size of Nassau with a population equal or greater than a few small states. I could see implementing supervisory unions: several districts share top administration, purchasing and other non-teaching related expenses like legal and public relations.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:30 AM

5,055 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Speaking only for my sister's county in Florida: St John's County's population is a smidgen over 200,000 people. Non union teachers work in schools that are top in the state and rank high in the US -- higher than a number of LI schools.

Here, our budget increases and programs are reduced or cut on a regular basis.

We're too large an area to consider countywide consolidation. Town of Brookhaven is the size of Nassau with a population equal or greater than a few small states. I could see implementing supervisory unions: several districts share top administration, purchasing and other non-teaching related expenses like legal and public relations.
How about Human Resources, Budget, Payroll, and Curricula since they are essentially the same in-house functions in all LI districts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island