Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,003 times

Advertisements

i live in an illegal basement apartment. it came with a washer and dryer. the washer broke 3 months ago. we told my landlord right away. it had water still in the machine. we were told that he would empty out the washer. we waited a month before we emptied it. now we been told when we have money we will either fix it or get a new one. do we as tenants have the right to go out and buy/fix the washer and take it out of the rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 11:47 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewij98 View Post
i live in an illegal basement apartment. it came with a washer and dryer. the washer broke 3 months ago. we told my landlord right away. it had water still in the machine. we were told that he would empty out the washer. we waited a month before we emptied it. now we been told when we have money we will either fix it or get a new one. do we as tenants have the right to go out and buy/fix the washer and take it out of the rent?
What does your lease say? Is use of the washer/dryer part of the rent or just an extra? Pay your rent and work it out with your landlord.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:50 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Am guessing, but if you are renting an illegal unit doesnt that mean your lease is not enforceable in court? Seems like you have no rights but whatever you can convince the landlord to do. Your only right is to leave.

Maybe someone with experience with illegal apartments can chime in.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:03 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
You would have to put your rent in escrow after giving proper notice to your landlord to make the repair. You cant just withhold rent for a repair. (well some states might allow it but here they dont)

WHY would you rent an illegal apartment?

Old 05-29-2014, 12:20 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
You would have to put your rent in escrow after giving proper notice to your landlord to make the repair. You cant just withhold rent for a repair. (well some states might allow it but here they dont)

Most of the apartments on Long Island are illegal, so people are left with little choice. And this escrow nonsense is far fetched. This is not how things work with an illegal apartment.

OP, just speak to the landlord and see if you can make an arrangement with him to fix it. See if he will deduct the amount to fix or replace it from your rent. If not then you might have to pay for it out of your own pocket.
Having a washer and dryer in your apartment is a huge luxury. It might be worth it to fix it up or buy another used one from Craigslist out of your own pocket if the landlord is not going to assist. It all depends on how much you like the apartment and what it's worth to you.

Your rights are limited with an illegal apartment but that does not mean it can't be civil. Just speak to the landlord before doing anything and see if you come to an agreement.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:18 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post

Because most apartments on LI are Illegal. I don't know about other states but here on LI most ate illegal and people who rent them do not always know that.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:28 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewij98 View Post

You let water sit stagnant in a washing machine for a month before you emptied it?

Old 05-30-2014, 12:25 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times
Why wouldn't you empty it yourself? This is the ultimate portrayal of: It's not my job/responsibility/problem.

Own some responsibility, please.

If you really want a washing machine, I would advise (in writing) your LL that you're going to buy one and you will be taking it with you when you move. It doesnt have to be new or fancy, as a pp suggested, a $100 craigslist find would work fine.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:34 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Why wouldn't you empty it yourself? This is the ultimate portrayal of: It's not my job/responsibility/problem.

Own some responsibility, please.

If you really want a washing machine, I would advise (in writing) your LL that you're going to buy one and you will be taking it with you when you move. It doesnt have to be new or fancy, as a pp suggested, a $100 craigslist find would work fine.
^This. You are spot on Buck. Apartments, whether illegal or not, are not required to have washing machines and/or dryers. Talk about being lazy or feeling entitled to wait a month for the LL to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
You let water sit stagnant in a washing machine for a month before you emptied it?
I can't even begin to imagine the STINK that came out of there. Like heck if I'd wait a month before relying on the LL to do that. I don't leave my clothes in the machine over night, never mind ever thinking about leaving them there for 30 days to get ruined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island