Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:27 PM

60 posts, read 121,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boliqua2 View Post
Deer Park station is actually in Edgewood which borders Deer Park, BayWood, North Bay Shore and Brentwood.
There is no actual mapped out area called Edgewood. A lot of the business around Pilgrim State use it for some odd reason although there is an area called Edgewood near the bottom of what would be considered North Brentwood and there is the Oak Brush Preserve. Typically the area between Washington Ave. and Wicks Road (south of Hancock St.) is called Edgewood since the house areas are larger, the streets and not symmetrical, and the area has lower income compared to the rest of the hamlet. Always found it weird the Deer Park train station was located inside Brentwood haha

Area is white is Brentwood. http://puu.sh/aF9u8/8897b70f48.png

Zoomed in. http://puu.sh/aF9nA/34a92a7200.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 06:49 PM

284 posts, read 985,941 times
Welcome to Deer Park , i'm living here for the past 16 years and my wife for 46 years . I'm on the west side and have no issues whatsoever .

Old 08-12-2014, 11:26 AM

148 posts, read 248,119 times
Eastern Deer park is largely industrial (not much housing) so you don't have to worry about that side.
Pine air drive (into Brentwood) by the train station (in Eastern Deer Park) is kind of rough area due to criss-crossing high speed traffic bus stop and poorly fitted to the population boom on LI (lots of traffic)

Deer Park is a great value for one thing in particular Deer Park Avenue even though its not a "downtown" in the cultural sense of the word, it is an extremely walkable avenue with all the chain store shopping, pharmacy, restaurants, service etc. needs that you can possibly want for miles into Dix Hills and Babylon

Expect to have to own a Car on Long Island unless you are lucky enough to find residence close enough to Deer Park Avenue and the LIRR station. It sounds like you will own a home? Parking will be adequate at the LIRR. You can leave your car at LIRR without over worrying.

Brentwood/North Bay Shore nearby are poorer to working class areas that border the train station in Deer Park so as always exercise regular precaution like covering cell phone, money and valubles etc if left visible in your car when you park.

Long Island taxes are high for many reason which won't change anytime soon (dont want to get into it at this time).

Good luck on your move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♦♣♠ View Post
There is no actual mapped out area called Edgewood. A lot of the business around Pilgrim State use it for some odd reason although there is an area called Edgewood near the bottom of what would be considered North Brentwood and there is the Oak Brush Preserve. Typically the area between Washington Ave. and Wicks Road (south of Hancock St.) is called Edgewood since the house areas are larger, the streets and not symmetrical, and the area has lower income compared to the rest of the hamlet. Always found it weird the Deer Park train station was located inside Brentwood haha

Area is white is Brentwood. http://puu.sh/aF9u8/8897b70f48.png

Zoomed in. http://puu.sh/aF9nA/34a92a7200.png
I'm thinking the name Edgewood was for the community based around the Pilgrim Psychiatric center when it was in highest operation level with large population. (Had its own water tower, fire department, gov't etc.)

Last edited by Pholtor; 08-12-2014 at 11:37 AM..

Old 08-14-2014, 07:25 AM

863 posts, read 2,108,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breetai3 View Post
I posted High School Ranks awhile back.

Long Island High School Rankings 2014

I think you are falling into the outsider trap of thinking about towns, but when you have kids you should be searching areas by their school district. (My opinion of course). Many towns overlap into other school districts. Personally I think Deer Park is an underperforming district (towards the bottom of my list). But like others said depending where you are in Deer Park you might be hitting some homes in the Half Hollows district which is top notch (and home prices will reflect that.)

If you browse mlsli.com you can search homes by school district instead of town names.

How did you make your assessment about Deerpark. I wish I had a penny for everytime someone on the island decide to over pay for what they consider a good school district. Hey people how about paying attention to what your kids do in school and showing a little effort rather than just turning them over to the schools and thinking your job is done. How many kids come out of underperforming citi schools and go on to become leaders of industry. People on Long Island are brainwashed to into thinking they have to send their kids to a high ranked drug filled school for them to succeed.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:27 AM

159 posts, read 279,683 times
^^ Well said!

Its funny how so many ppl will live a near-impoverished lifestyle and spend $600k to live in a tiny box in a so-called good school district". It really sucks when the kids STILL end up Moderator cut: language and then u realize u could've been living a fancy lifestyle all along

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-15-2014 at 06:27 AM..

Old 08-14-2014, 12:15 PM

863 posts, read 2,108,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulHope View Post
^^ Well said!

Its funny how so many ppl will live a near-impoverished lifestyle and spend $600k to live in a tiny box in a so-called good school district". It really sucks when the kids STILL end up and then u realize u could've been living a fancy lifestyle all along
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes. I love this comment one of the best I have seen. It's long Island. If your kid is not in a top 10% school district with the right drugs you've failed as a parent.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-15-2014 at 06:27 AM..

Old 08-26-2014, 02:05 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,964 times
The HS was effectively a giant drug market when I went there (class of 2000).

I moved to Bay Shore and took the train in and out of NYC, ugh. Used to drive to Babylon just for the express despite the Bay Shore station being in walking distance. Local trains are the worst past Queens.

If I were looking to put down roots DP is as good a place as most others in west Suffolk county.

Went back to visit family a few months ago, hadn't been there in years...it's changed a lot.

I always did like Forest Hills though, really nice place.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:49 AM

157 posts, read 285,211 times
We moved from Forest Hills and although my in-laws live there we eliminated Deer Park because their school distict performs poorly. You can refer to this list to see their ranking: Long Island High School Rankings 2014

Old 05-04-2016, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 22,849 times
Hello ALL,

So a little more than a year ago I posted up about moving from Forest Hills, NY to Long Island. We chose Deer Park AND I have to tell you BEST decision ever! We absolutely love it. We are in the eastern side of DP near the outlets. I have to say anyone coming out of Queens or the boros would love it here. Its the best of all worlds. Where my house is located is beautiful, a quiet area where I can hear birds chirp every morning (sounds crazy but any one from queens know its loud) but if I am in the mood for some noise 3 minutes away we have the outlets, Miller ale and Panchitas and many other attractions minutes away. Funny story of Panchitas its a Mexican restaurant off Commack Rd, on the weekends they have a little club in the basement, My wife and I were eating late there on a Friday and heard the base and asked what was going on - long story short - we went and had a great time. Robert Frost Middle school where my daughter goes looks like the old show from the 90's 90210 looks beautiful the staff are great and my daughter is on the honor roll and swim team... its amazing, she loves it too! My wife and I both commute to NYC and we get to our offices faster than when we lived in forest hills. The LIRR express into the city is 55 minutes and comfortable with no riff raff compared to the subway! Downside - its $680 a month for the both of us. other than that no complaints. We are currently building an in ground pool to really benefit on the Long Island life. Once again thank you all for your comments, people like you that offer help on these forums really help people in transition.

Rob

Last edited by about2buy; 05-04-2016 at 12:27 PM..

Old 05-04-2016, 02:38 PM

6 posts, read 19,563 times
Welcome! We also moved from Queens to Deer Park and we appreciate the elbow room, the yard, and yes, those noisy, beautiful birds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island