Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:14 AM

5 posts, read 69,646 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at some homes in Garden City South, but on the border with Garden City (near the country club). Safety wise, do I need to be concerned about that area? It seems fairly far from Hempstead, but since I am not from the area, I would like anyone's views, particularly if there are areas to avoid.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
No - that is a very safe area. My ILs lived in GC but near that area for many years, my DH used to cut across the golf course and thru GC South to walk home from the village of GS even late at night. GC South in that area is very safe. You aren't close to Hempstead at all there. Good luck with the house!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:27 AM

432 posts, read 1,593,766 times
GC has its own police department. If you skin is darker then a tea bag they stop you in GC. Its kinda like living in the Alamo but a real nice town.
Congrates!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:29 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Garden City South

Garden City South can be quite geographically confusing as there is no "Garden City South, NY" mailing address, and the Hamlet of Garden City South is partly in three different ZIP Code postal zones: "Garden City, NY 11530", "West Hempstead, NY 11552" and "Franklin Square, NY 11010".

For those who may not be familiar with Garden City South:

Garden City South is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northwest section of the Town of Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Garden City South in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north and east by the Village of Garden City; on the south by the Hamlet of West Hempstead; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Franklin Square.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a4/Garden-city-south-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Garden City South is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address. places in the Hamlet of Garden City South have a "Garden City, NY 11530", "West Hempstead, NY 11552" and "Franklin Square, NY 11010" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 04-24-2009, 08:40 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
The GC police do not patrol GC South. GC SOUTH is actually a nice way of saying "Franklin Square" for the people that live on the border. IF you live in GC South, you are not entitled to any of the amenities of GC, including police, fire, sanitation, schools, rec dept, etc. Even if it's the same zip code it's not GC. The borders of GC proper are quite clear and the services of GC are contiguous with those borders.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:56 AM

5 posts, read 69,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The GC police do not patrol GC South. GC SOUTH is actually a nice way of saying "Franklin Square" for the people that live on the border. IF you live in GC South, you are not entitled to any of the amenities of GC, including police, fire, sanitation, schools, rec dept, etc. Even if it's the same zip code it's not GC. The borders of GC proper are quite clear and the services of GC are contiguous with those borders.
I know that the area has Franklin Square schools. While they may not be as good as Garden City schools, my understanding is that they are still very good. My main concern is safety.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:43 AM

432 posts, read 1,593,766 times
It is what it is, trouble will not find you if you dont go looking for it. I've worked in the Bronx and felt safer there then I did at Roosevelt Field at night on occasion.
If you think somebody it going to kick in your door and tie your family up, it wont happen. If it does it will for a reason, say if you are a drug dealer. Common sense is all it takes for home safety, I don't understand why people are so parinoid.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:17 AM

6 posts, read 23,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

couldnt have said it better myself. all above amenities are serviced by franklin square. the only thing GCS can really call its own is its Little League which is great. Also dont plan on parking your car at nassau blvd LIRR station b/c u need GC permit to use the lot. Since its GC prop.

Last edited by vvjjo9; 04-24-2009 at 11:26 AM..

Old 04-24-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvjjo9 View Post
couldnt have said it better myself. all above amenities are serviced by franklin square.
As a hamlet (an unincorporated area), Franklin Square provides no services to the residents of the hamlet. Both the Hamlet of Garden City South and the Hamlet of Franklin Square are governed at-large by the Town of Hempstead and receive all municipal services from the Town of Hempstead and various special districts (school, library, fire, water, etc., etc.).

Old 04-24-2009, 01:13 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Franklin Square

While not as geographically confusing as the Hamlet of Garden City South, the Hamlet of Franklin Square does have its own modest geographic confusions: about one-in-seven places in the Hamlet of Franklin Square (1,837 acres) have other than a "Franklin Square, NY 11010" mailing address (1,555 acres), as well as places that have a "Franklin Square, NY 11010" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Franklin Square.

For those who may not be familiar with Franklin Square:

Franklin Square is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northwest section of the Town of Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Franklin Square in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Stewart Manor, the Village of Garden City and the Hamlet of South Garden City; on the east by the Hamlet of South Garden City and the Hamlet of West Hempstead; on the south by the Village of Malverne and the Hamlet of North Valley Stream; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Elmont.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2d/Franklin-square-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of Franklin Square has a different border than does the "Franklin Square, NY 11010" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Franklin Square, NY 11010" mailing address and not be in Franklin Square and a place can be in the Hamlet of Franklin Square and have other than a "Franklin Square, NY 11010" mailing address): places with a "Franklin Square, NY 11010" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Franklin Square are in the Village of Stewart Manor and the Hamlet of Garden City South; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Franklin Square that have a "Garden City, NY 11530", "Elmont, NY 11003" and "Valley Stream, NY 11580" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island