Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 05:17 PM

6 posts, read 33,239 times

Advertisements

Okay, I will explain the situation, I want to know:
1. If you agree or disagree
2. If we are allowed to do this
---------
We live on a corner house in nassau county massapequa (town of oyster bay) long island and we want to extend our backyard fence to the sidewalk for a bigger backyard. The side of our lawn is never used and we are paying extra money to have this bigger lawn for basically nothing, so we want to turn part of it into the backyard.
Our fence guy came to get some measurements when the next door neighbor was outside, so my dad told her about what we were doing, and she gave a somewhat rude toned response: "No, I don't want to look at a fence." We are not friends with this lady, we don't talk, she hardly says hello when we see each other, and her own lawn honestly looks bad, not taken care of.
Here is a picture of what WERE our plans:
http://i34.tinypic.com/2jahhko.png

Question 1:
Do you think it is right for her to decide what we do with OUR lawn? We are paying money for some neighbor to have a nice scenery while we get no real use out of that side of the property.
Question 2:
In nassau county, is it legal to move out a fence to said location in the picture? If the neighbor complains to the town, will the town force us to remove the fence?

We've wanted to do this extension since we moved here, and since Sandy destroyed our fence, it's a perfect excuse to do it, but I feel ridiculous that we'd just let some lady that we've hardly ever talked to make the decision for our property.

The right side of the picture is what is wanted BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 PM

159 posts, read 408,416 times
Your answer on if you can move your fence lies with the town of oyster bay. They can guide you thru permit process. The neighbor has no say in the process.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:00 PM

Actually, I am pretty sure if a neighbor complains about inconvinience about something on my lawn, they can call the code enforcement and they could have it removed, in our expense.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:28 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanase View Post
Actually, I am pretty sure if a neighbor complains about inconvinience about something on my lawn, they can call the code enforcement and they could have it removed, in our expense.
Not if the fence was properly and legally installed. Corner lots are tough, you techically have two front yards and front yard rules apply.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:56 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times
Correct, you have 2 front yards so moist likely you would have to drop the fence down to 4 feet i that area. You can also plat a row of bushes with that part of the fence.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:57 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times
Sounds like she may complain, get a permit.

Don't rely on what the fence company says.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:27 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
When I was in the TOB court with a bunch of other people talking permits/variances, this issue came up with someone. The fence cannot obstruct the view of the neighbor to the street such that it endangers them backing out of the driveway. I don't know if even a 4ft fence would be allowed to come out that far. Realistically I'm sure they could back out fine given the assumed distance from the fence to their driveway (which is probably the width of their front lawn). But that's up to the town to decide after the evidence is presented if it comes down to it.

If you really want a legit standing here (and tell your neighbor "too bad"), then you should definitely go through the permit process, which is a pain. Take pictures from their driveway area perspective too. If you have been thinking about it for so long, you may as well go through it before spending the money on a fence.

Personally I can see where your neighbor is coming from.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:00 AM

159 posts, read 408,416 times
Quote:
If you illegally installed the fence - yeah. Go thru the town and the permit process and inspection - do it right the first time. The neighbor has no say in this.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:20 PM

Too many mixed answers, too many people talking out of their ***es. Sorry, not trying to be rude. :P

To somebody who absolutely knows, if I were to order this fence as extended, do my neighbors get informed, do they have a right to object to this new fence?
If I were to get a picture of where the fence would be from the neighbors driveway and prove it's a safe view of the street, is there anything else they could complain about that would end up getting it removed by the town?
People keep saying as long as I legally install it, but isn't part of the installation getting the consent of your neighbor(s)?
This is Town of Oyster Bay, Massapequa BTW

Old 04-27-2013, 05:17 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,173 times
Quote:
Too many mixed answers, too many people talking out of their ***es. Sorry, not trying to be rude. :P

To somebody who absolutely knows, if I were to order this fence as extended, do my neighbors get informed, do they have a right to object to this new fence?
If I were to get a picture of where the fence would be from the neighbors driveway and prove it's a safe view of the street, is there anything else they could complain about that would end up getting it removed by the town?
People keep saying as long as I legally install it, but isn't part of the installation getting the consent of your neighbor(s)?
This is Town of Oyster Bay, Massapequa BTW
Figure it out yourself then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island