Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:47 AM

56 posts, read 142,008 times

Advertisements

We moved from Queens to New Hyde Park only for the school district. My daughter will start kindergarten next Fall and I plan to live here until she graduates high school - so a total of 13 years.

We have oil and want to convert to gas, but we were quoted $9,000. Is it worth the cost if we're only staying for 13 years or so? If we spread out the $9,000 over 13 years, does it equal the extra cost of winter oil usage? Should I just stay put and pay the oil bill until I'm done with Nassau? Once we're done with high school, I'm outta here, back to Queens.

He also said that if I used a chimney liner (which is mandatory in Nassau, not so much in Queens/Brooklyn), it would be another $2,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 09:49 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
It all depends on the price of oil. It's come down a little this year, but I believe it was in the $4.00 range for the last three years. At $3.50 to $4.00 it's a no brainer. In addition, your new boiler will be a lot more efficient than your old boiler.

Not too far back, oil was under $2.50/gallon. At $2.50/gallon, it probably does not pay to convert.

I would bet that oil will more likely be $4.00 in the next 10 years than $2.50. But you never know.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:00 AM

690 posts, read 584,822 times
We were in a similar situation. We bought in October and thought we would convert immediately, figuring it would be between $8-$9 grand to do so. We only plan on staying at this house for about 10 years. Running the numbers and speaking to a number of others it doesn't seem worth it as it is not our forever home.

I agree with rubygreta though that it could be a gamble if oil prices jump significantly (hoping they don't).

Good luck!

Old 08-25-2014, 10:00 AM

62 posts, read 107,260 times
You quote is too high. Get 5 plumbers to do the estimate and also check if your house is on the gas line.
After rebate, your conversion should be 5k maximum.

and don't listen to any oil guy to pitch for oil, do the conversion asap. Gas is way better.

If you couldn't find the 5k plumber to do the work, it means you haven't tried hard enough, search for every plumber on the web, call them, you will get your 5k guy.

Last time I checked about 6-7 plumbers, someone is willing to do it 4500 cash including everything after rebate.

With today's oil price, the payback period is 3 years. After 3 years, you get your investment back and a new gas boiler.

It also will be easier to sell your house with gas heating.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:05 AM

690 posts, read 584,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun12 View Post
You quote is too high. Get 5 plumbers to do the estimate and also check if your house is on the gas line.
After rebate, your conversion should be 5k maximum.

and don't listen to any oil guy to pitch for oil, do the conversion asap. Gas is way better.
After you replace appliances and covert your current furnace or buy a new one we were getting roughly $8k, that was with a line in the street. I believe they only pay for the first X amount of feet and then you're on your own.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
After you replace appliances and covert your current furnace or buy a new one we were getting roughly $8k, that was with a line in the street. I believe they only pay for the first X amount of feet and then you're on your own.
You haven't tried enough with these plumbers. Get more estimates, you will find the one who is willing to do it at 5k after rebate including boiler/furnace, indirect water heater, gas line to the dryer etc.

The gas line is a different issue.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:17 AM

The gas boiler/burner is $1200 after rebate, indirect water heater is 600 after rebate. With a total of 5000 after rebate, a plumber with his partner can make 5000-1200-600 = 3200, plus they pay for the pipe, town permit, and hauling away the oil tank. That's all for one day's work. Even if you count everything else as $1500 which I doubt, the plumber and his partner could still make 1700 for one day, it is not bad income.

So 5k for a regular plumber is doable.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:39 AM

20 posts, read 29,281 times
I live in Great Neck, and we are doing conversion over this weekend. I compared 5-6 plumbers, each quote around 10K, +- 1K. I have a friend who converted last year in Manhansset hills, saved at least 2K on heating. Their oil heating bill was 4K for a year prior to conversion, now pays 300 during heating season. We would have saved 5K from the oil if we did the conversion 2 years ago, but we didn't know a lot about oil conversion back then. We did a lot of research here in city-data before we made our decision.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:41 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
You will get raped this winter because oil prices always shoots up during old man winter. Gas prices do not jump that quickly because supply is not the problem.

Even in the worst month in Jan-March this year my gas heat bill never topped more than $200/month and this is with cooking including.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:10 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,237 times
1. I would get more estimates, let them fight for your business
2. your house would be more valuable to a future buyer with gas heat.

not only is gas heat cheaper & more efficient, but imagine never having to worry about being low on oil or wasting your time negotiating oil prices and contracts over the next 13 yrs.

A friend of mine lives in a home built in the 30's, she spent $4K on heating oil last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island