Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 06:21 AM

480 posts, read 669,299 times

Advertisements

Many of you as of now no my personal story and all of my posts and things like that. I have a question pertaining to living in Suffolk compared to living in Nassau. And this is a personal question based upon what me and my fiancé can afford. We can afford up to $350,000 home. There are homes out in Yaphank that a five bedroom four bath and are $340,000. Beautiful homes: the American dream. She said she is willing to have to travel into Nassau if it meant coming home to a home like that. I always felt that maybe a home like that should be bought 15 years down the road.

In Massapequa Park and Merrick and a few other towns on the South Shore there are homes that are very much in the lower 300s to 320s. Taxes are high but so are they on the North Shore of Long Island which of course is far more expensive.

So it made me realize after months of research from six months ago to now looking at homes in the 200,000s that most of those are going to be in poorer, areas and not really what we desire and after finding out how much we can afford up to it's good to see that there are options.

I'm listing the house that I talk about from out east: 29 Crescent St, Yaphank, NY 11980 is For Sale - Zillow And again this is for photo reasons only I understand that the taxes are not accurate as they would be on other sites.

I feel like ultimately we are going to live in Nassau County preferably after the research that I've done, one of those those two towns. But living out in Suffolk is definitely enticing especially with the type of homes that they have.

Has anyone else been torn with a decision like this when thinking of buying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 AM

562 posts, read 1,058,749 times
Feel free to live in a $350,000 five-bedroom, four-bath home—but as many others pointed out here, you're going to have to pinch pennies to do so. Make sure it has a good microwave to cook ramen.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:18 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
That house has not been built. The pictures are of another home.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 AM

791 posts, read 1,623,291 times
I know this goes against everything every LI-er ever has ever believed, but it sounds to me like it would make sense for you guys to - gasp! - rent out in eastern Suffolk for a year, to see if you like the lifestyle and if it's "worth" the commute for you.

At the office where I used to work in western Nassau, there were a few people who drove in every day from far-east communities (think Manorville, Shoreham, etc.) who absolutely felt it was worth it to them to drive an hour or more each way, because they really love the lifestyle that comes with living out that far, and the amount of house they could get for their money. I tried the same thing for awhile, and discovered that, for me, no amount of financial savings is worth the cost to my sanity that comes with spending 2-3 hours a day in my car. Discovering I hated the commute was no big deal because I was renting, so we just moved west at the end of our lease, but it would've been an incredibly expensive mistake if we'd bought a house, because we either would've needed to sell the house at a loss or I would've ended up taking a huge pay cut to work in Suffolk to lessen my commute (assuming I could've even found a job in Suffolk at all).

Mega-commuting from out east is a really specific lifestyle, and in my personal experience, at least half the people who tell themselves "oh it'll be totally worth it to come home to a big amazing house" end up miserable. A home is (probably) the most significant purchase you will ever make - you can't afford to gamble on something as major as "can I bear the commute?"

Old 08-26-2014, 09:06 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Agree with renting first if you're going way the hell out there. To me, anything past Stony Brook / Ronkonkoma is WTHOT.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:34 AM

480 posts, read 669,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
I know this goes against everything every LI-er ever has ever believed, but it sounds to me like it would make sense for you guys to - gasp! - rent out in eastern Suffolk for a year, to see if you like the lifestyle and if it's "worth" the commute for you.

At the office where I used to work in western Nassau, there were a few people who drove in every day from far-east communities (think Manorville, Shoreham, etc.) who absolutely felt it was worth it to them to drive an hour or more each way, because they really love the lifestyle that comes with living out that far, and the amount of house they could get for their money. I tried the same thing for awhile, and discovered that, for me, no amount of financial savings is worth the cost to my sanity that comes with spending 2-3 hours a day in my car. Discovering I hated the commute was no big deal because I was renting, so we just moved west at the end of our lease, but it would've been an incredibly expensive mistake if we'd bought a house, because we either would've needed to sell the house at a loss or I would've ended up taking a huge pay cut to work in Suffolk to lessen my commute (assuming I could've even found a job in Suffolk at all).

Mega-commuting from out east is a really specific lifestyle, and in my personal experience, at least half the people who tell themselves "oh it'll be totally worth it to come home to a big amazing house" end up miserable. A home is (probably) the most significant purchase you will ever make - you can't afford to gamble on something as major as "can I bear the commute?"
Completely understood and noted. Great points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island