Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 06:51 AM

5,518 posts, read 7,109,883 times

Advertisements

Not that I would pick one up or anything, but I was just wondering?
Last night I had to walk to the auto body shop to pick up my car and I didn’t mind, as it was only a 30 minute walk and it was a nice night. On the walk I was joking to myself that I should hitch hike, and then it occurred to me that I have not seen a hitchhiker in over 30 years. Why is that? In the good ole days before we had cars, we used to hitch all over, to the beach, out east, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 07:22 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,308 times
Quote:
Not that I would pick one up or anything,
You just answered your own question. In todays' world of ....more awareness of people that do not act in socially acceptable ways, who WOULD pick up a hitch hiker??

Old 09-22-2016, 07:35 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
there are tons of hitchhikers right by the GW Bridge on the Jersey side every morning.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:13 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
I've seen some in Montauk, tend to be city folks in town for the weekend.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:22 AM

184 posts, read 233,878 times
I would think it's because the world is not as safe as it used to be. Druvwrs don't want strangers in their vehicle and people are reluctant to get into vehicle they're don't know the driver.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:10 PM

551 posts, read 1,576,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi View Post
I would think it's because the world is not as safe as it used to be. Druvwrs don't want strangers in their vehicle and people are reluctant to get into vehicle they're don't know the driver.

The first part of this is seriously far from the truth. Violent crime per capita rates are far lower across the entire US now than they have been in 50+ years. http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htius.pdf

The media sensationalizes crime, and years of decreasing violent crime have made people far more sensitive to personal security, and unaccustomed to feeling unsafe. In any event, any decline in hitchhiking likely has more to do with fewer people lacking resources, better public transportation, denser population centers, etc.

But, people hitchhike in droves every day -- by pressing an Uber app, and passenger gets into a strange car knowing nothing about the driver, and vice versa.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:53 PM

5,518 posts, read 7,109,883 times
The last time I hitched was after leaving Dimensions in Commack one night.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:14 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
The first part of this is seriously far from the truth. Violent crime per capita rates are far lower across the entire US now than they have been in 50+ years. http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htius.pdf

The media sensationalizes crime, and years of decreasing violent crime have made people far more sensitive to personal security, and unaccustomed to feeling unsafe. In any event, any decline in hitchhiking likely has more to do with fewer people lacking resources, better public transportation, denser population centers, etc.

But, people hitchhike in droves every day -- by pressing an Uber app, and passenger gets into a strange car knowing nothing about the driver, and vice versa.
Those numbers are outdated. Violent crime has been on an uptick again recently, particularly in cities. And the low-crime heyday of the 1990s was only low by comparison to the turbulent 60s-80s, it was still high compared to the decades before the 60s.

US cities see unexplained rise in violent crimes this year

Why this is happening is left as a problem for the reader.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:06 PM

383 posts, read 665,037 times
Funny you should ask. I just saw one about 2 weeks ago. My thought was who in their right mind would pick someone up.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:18 PM

184 posts, read 233,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post

Maybe you're right. But we hear crazy stories every day, and some crimes have no basis, just random events but some are scary stories, kidnapping, hostage or abductions etc.

All I know is I would not pick up a hitch hiker, I would not invite a random stranger into my vehicle and I would not get into an unknown vehicle. I hear what you're saying about getting into taxi but somehow it feels different knowing the cab driver is working for a company and that there's atleast a record but you're right about the taxies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island