Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 05:20 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Doesn't sound like the case here, though.
How do you know? You don't live with the OP. What difference does it make? I gave surgery as an example. The court has a LIST of acceptable reasons for postponements and to be excused, including issues that often affect college students. A potential jurror can get one postponement automatically. Usually, there's no problem if you have proof to get 2 additional postponements, as long as it is one of the accepted reasons. After that it gets a little tougher, but it depends on the circumstances. Maybe, they are stricter in your current state of residence, but this is how it is handled in NYS in 2014.

To the OP, this stuff happens all the time. Call them and they'll probably ask your child to come in person and then they'll set up a new date to report. She probably will have to report and will not be given the option to be a telephone stand-by juror. That doesn't mean that she will be selected for a case, just that she will have to report and sit with the other masses of people and wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 05:37 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
How do you know? You don't live with the OP. .
Calm down dude. We know she didn't have surgery because it doesn't take a genius to figure it out from the mother's posts. It's clear the girl doesn't give a rat's ass about her jury duty summons but mommy is worried the special snowflake is going to be carted off to jail for this transgression. She doesn't have a medical issue or any other valid reason, she's blowing it off. it's not rocket science to figure this out, nor do I need to let my imagination run away with me about romantic notions for why she's missing this all-important civic responsibility.

I'm familiar with all the reasons for getting out of JD, I've been doing it since 2000. None of them apply here, I don't need to live with the OP or her daughter to know it.

Moving on.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:16 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Calm down dude. We know she didn't have surgery because it doesn't take a genius to figure it out from the mother's posts. It's clear the girl doesn't give a rat's ass about her jury duty summons but mommy is worried the special snowflake is going to be carted off to jail for this transgression. She doesn't have a medical issue or any other valid reason, she's blowing it off. it's not rocket science to figure this out, nor do I need to let my imagination run away with me about romantic notions for why she's missing this all-important civic responsibility.

I'm familiar with all the reasons for getting out of JD, I've been doing it since 2000. None of them apply here, I don't need to live with the OP or her daughter to know it.

Moving on.
Right, of course with your expert reading comprehension abilities you are not only psychic and judgemental, you are also an expert at all the ways of worming out of your civic responsiblities of jury duty since 2000. Got it. Great role model for your special snowflakes. While you attempt to move on, try to stay on topic

Old 12-15-2014, 05:48 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Just throw away the jury duty notices. They are not delivered certified with signature confirmation so there is no proof you received it. Been doing it for 2 decades and I've never received a fine, summons, or warrant.
I'm with pidge on this one! In the 35+ years of receiving notifications, I never saw any ramifications to tossing them in the trash!

However, now that I'm in another state and have way more free time on my hands, I think it would interest me to serve, should I ever get another notification!

Old 12-15-2014, 06:33 AM

201 posts, read 333,130 times
Quote:
Doesn't sound like the case here, though.
This is great! Twingles must use the ignore feature on me, so after I make a comment on her usual bashing post, she confirms my claim by adding a second jerky post. Because she doesn't see me.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:35 AM

201 posts, read 333,130 times
Quote:

Moving on.
LMFAO Fooooooooool!!!!

Old 12-15-2014, 12:26 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,226 times
Quote:
Just throw away the jury duty notices. They are not delivered certified with signature confirmation so there is no proof you received it. Been doing it for 2 decades and I've never received a fine, summons, or warrant.
4 decades. No warrants.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:42 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
my buddy swears by this method as well. I might have to try it...

Old 12-15-2014, 12:57 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Gosh. I LOVED jury duty. It was so interesting & lots of fun. I didn't have to go to school (as a teacher) for almost a whole week.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-15-2014, 02:14 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
I do the same thing in fact I haven't even filled out the questionnaire they send me for Suffolk. I served once in Nassau and it was boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: