Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:53 AM

88 posts, read 126,314 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been successful grieving the assessed value of their property in Nassau County? I know there are many services out there that charge a fee. The fee from what I have come across is anywhere from 33 1/3 -50% of the total amount saved on your assessment.

What are the steps that one can do on their own have a successful end result. I have been checking the Nassau county property site comparing what I pay in annual property taxes that include the school and county taxes and was a bit taken back. I saw homes that are much larger than my home, ranging anywhere from 500-900 square feet and their taxes are either lower then mine or maybe $150 more than I pay. One of my neighbors on the same street is on a corner lot. The property is approximately 1200 square feet larger and the home itself is 750 square feet larger. He is paying less in taxes then I am and he also has a double wide driveway. Another neighbor on the same block had the entire house gutted 7 years ago (exact same size as mine) and then did a two story addition in the back of the house, with separate AC units for the first floor and second floor, stone patio, deck etc. and his taxes are ONLY $75 more then what I pay yearly. What gives?

I just got a letter from by mortgage company saying that my monthly payment is being adjusted UP because an increase in taxes. This is crazy while other newer larger homes are decreasing in their assessed values mine is going up. I need to get this assessment under control.

Can someone provide step by step what needs to be done or how to go about grieving the assessed value of the property? I have gone to the Nassau County property site to try and start the grievance of the assessed property value but I am not sure what to look for or what I should use to show that my taxes should not be as high.

Please HELP!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 12:14 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
do a search - this has been discussed numerous times on the LI forum. All your questions are already answered in them.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:34 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Just go through a service. Its worth it. I just won two in a row to my surprise.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:03 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
It is very doable yourself go on the mynassauproperty.com website and follow the directions to the property tax page.
One thing that you need to be aware of that you sound like (I may be wrong here) you are not aware of. The system is flawed to begin with. If someone has been grieving their taxes all along it is entirely possible that they have a larger house and are assessed less. Or if you home has either never been grieved or never adjusted. The other thing is that your assessment under control will not guarantee that you will not get an increase in your taxes. Read this. http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publicatio...s/taxworks.pdf

basically put if your town needs $1000 and the assessed valuation of all properties in year 1 was $500 and in year 2 they still needed $1000 but the assessed valuations are now $250, what changes is the multiplier per home to get to the $1000 needed. In essence, the move properties are adjusted downward the greater the per home taxes will be. It is part of the problem.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:16 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commoncourtesy View Post
Has anyone been successful grieving the assessed value of their property in Nassau County? I know there are many services out there that charge a fee. The fee from what I have come across is anywhere from 33 1/3 -50% of the total amount saved on your assessment.

What are the steps that one can do on their own have a successful end result. I have been checking the Nassau county property site comparing what I pay in annual property taxes that include the school and county taxes and was a bit taken back. I saw homes that are much larger than my home, ranging anywhere from 500-900 square feet and their taxes are either lower then mine or maybe $150 more than I pay. One of my neighbors on the same street is on a corner lot. The property is approximately 1200 square feet larger and the home itself is 750 square feet larger. He is paying less in taxes then I am and he also has a double wide driveway. Another neighbor on the same block had the entire house gutted 7 years ago (exact same size as mine) and then did a two story addition in the back of the house, with separate AC units for the first floor and second floor, stone patio, deck etc. and his taxes are ONLY $75 more then what I pay yearly. What gives?

I just got a letter from by mortgage company saying that my monthly payment is being adjusted UP because an increase in taxes. This is crazy while other newer larger homes are decreasing in their assessed values mine is going up. I need to get this assessment under control.

Can someone provide step by step what needs to be done or how to go about grieving the assessed value of the property? I have gone to the Nassau County property site to try and start the grievance of the assessed property value but I am not sure what to look for or what I should use to show that my taxes should not be as high.

Please HELP!!!!!

Out of curiosity is your assessment going up? Or did your taxes simply go up?? Nassau County raised its taxes by 3.4%, Town of Oyster Bay raised taxes by 8.8%. So considering the county raised taxes, and perhaps the Town as well (depending on where you live), it would make sense for your tax escrows in your mortgage to increase as well, regardless of what happened or didn't happen with your assessed value.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:01 PM

88 posts, read 126,314 times
What is was saying, was that in comparison to my neighbors with bigger homes and properties I pay more in taxes than they do. Their assed values are lower than mine and I do not understand that? How can a home that is anywhere from 500 -900 square feet pay less in property taxes than I do? That is why I was very upset in the fact that they are enjoying a much larger home and their assessed valuation is lower is lower than mine. So am I making up the difference?

Old 01-22-2015, 02:10 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commoncourtesy View Post
What is was saying, was that in comparison to my neighbors with bigger homes and properties I pay more in taxes than they do. Their assed values are lower than mine and I do not understand that? How can a home that is anywhere from 500 -900 square feet pay less in property taxes than I do? That is why I was very upset in the fact that they are enjoying a much larger home and their assessed valuation is lower is lower than mine. So am I making up the difference?
My taxes are half my neighbors homes with identical houses. My neighbors are lazy and never grieve their taxes. Why should my neighbors be mad at me. They could have done it too.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:35 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Your neighbors may have exemptions you are not aware of ( like veterans).

They may have never done a stitch of work in their home.

The people who did the re build may not have closed out their permit.

As noted the system is very flawed.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:35 PM

481 posts, read 665,904 times
I don't see my house value goes up but taxes has been up 300-500 a year. But it kept saying it's at 2.5%.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:53 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
The system is set up for "heads I win, tails you lose".
It's basically unbeatable. In the end you will still pay.
No matter what the assessment or grievance or whatever, the rate can be adjusted to still take the money needed.
Smoke and mirrors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island