Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 11:30 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,533,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Where will all the illegals go if they are forced out of their illegal rooms?
Hopefully back to the third world hellholes they came from. Ok maybe not, we need to pair the evictions with brutal crackdowns on those who employ illegals - hire one? Your business gets shut down and we use the asset forfeiture money to expel more illegals and punish more employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 11:44 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,337,930 times
Quote:
To put this problem more into perspective John you are talking about 2 different things here really. Even though you feel if they take care of the illegal housing in Westbury it will rid the town of Westbury as a whole of illegals. Thus making living there (since you can't just move) better for you.

If every house that has the "illegals" are cracked down on all over LI (not just Westbury) what do you think will happen then?

The word "illegal" is being used in 2 ways here. There is "illegal housing" & illegal residents". What you really want is to get rid of the illegal residents..not the illegal housing? Am I right? Because if you wanted to get rid of illegal housing on LI (not just Westbury)...all H*** would break loose on LI! Your post & story they ran on News12 pertains only to Westbury though.But if they tried (they have before) to crack down on all illegal housing on LI forget about it.

I do agree with one thing the people that buy homes just to split it up & rent rooms to people to make more $..now that should be stopped. Something along the lines of the way property taxes are calculated might help. Like in Floirda they have the Homestead act. If the home you buy in not YOUR primary residence in Florida your taxes are a lot higher no matter who you rent it to. Houses that have multiple tenants that are not family are crazy.

This same problem exists in so many other areas but not with illegals like you do in Westbury. Like around Stony Brook University. There are homes there that a homeowner is absentee...but they know the deal when they see the $ they can bring in by renting rooms to individual students by renting rooms instead of just renting to 1 family. My friend has a house in SC near Furman University. They rented it out to a young couple while they lived up here in NY as absentee landlords! Only they have many friends still there. Well this young couple rented the house with NO problems for many years. A few years back they got a call from a friend that still lives down there & drives by the home to check on things every so often.

Low & behold the couple moved out continuing to sign lease to rent with them. Yet they rented the house out to students at the local college! The home was completely destroyed.
What I am talking about and what the article talks about is overcrowded, dangerous illegal rentals, homes where people are crammed in like Sardines. I know most apts on LI are illegal apts, and obviously its impossible to get rid of all of them. I think the Village said they aren't focusing on a home divided into a few illegal apts. It is the "flophouses", which are boarding houses where there can be more than 20 people in one house, people stacked up on top of eachother in rooms, often with illegal kitchen setups as well which are a fire hazard. Yes many are occupied by illegal immigrants. They came here illegally and send most of the money they get back home, while they live in this squalor. Why do you think they are so many "multiservices" (Money Wiring stores) in Westbury and other towns with this problem?
If you watched the story you would see those are the situations they are talking about. Yes people who live in Westbury (and New Cassel) are fed up with the illegals, the loitering, public intoxication, trash piling up, crime, loud music, rice burners,etc. I do not feel sorry for these people, they made the decision to come here illegally and live like they do, and I'm pretty sure they won't get deported when the homes are shut down, but simply relocate to another part of LI where these homes exist. I wish they would go back to their own countries and get in line and come here the right way, but that's a Federal issue and we can see how the Feds are laying out the welcome mat for them.
Getting rid of the illegal housing will at least make a dent in the QOL issues in my area. I'm glad to see others in Westbury feel the same way. And yes it helps personally since I am not able to relocate to a better area like Bellmore at this time. If it means less gangbangers loitering around and even possibly a few bodegas closing then that's a huge step of progress. This is all part of the big picture of the area revitalization, no it will never be "hot" for families wanting to buy a home here, but at least we can make it a better place for singles and young couples to live. And more of a destination. We have new places on Post Ave now that aren't bodegas, so I know the town is working hard to clean up the image.
Now all we need is some more cooperation from the LIRR, but that's another subject.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:45 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,337,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
This isn't a sad, LI heartbreak story of the shortage of affordable housing on LI. You're missing the point that a lot of these illegal residents aren't just renting rooms, they're packing in like sardines on cots, rotating in shifts. That's slum housing. And they're doing it to save up as much cash as they can. Meanwhile, you have families killing themselves to make the same rent. Illegals aren't easy prey for this. They choose to enter/stay illegally and live like this. As an American you are saying that it's a manner in which no one wants to live. But I disagree and say it's a manner in which they're very accustomed to living before they even got here.
Yup I agree thats what I'm saying.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:51 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,219,416 times
Quote:
This isn't a sad, LI heartbreak story of the shortage of affordable housing on LI. You're missing the point that a lot of these illegal residents aren't just renting rooms, they're packing in like sardines on cots, rotating in shifts. That's slum housing. And they're doing it to save up as much cash as they can. Meanwhile, you have families killing themselves to make the same rent. Illegals aren't easy prey for this. They choose to enter/stay illegally and live like this. As an American you are saying that it's a manner in which no one wants to live. But I disagree and say it's a manner in which they're very accustomed to living before they even got here.
Oh no I certainly get the point. Those "flophouses" so to speak should be shut down. There are plenty of them everywhere not just Westbury but all over LI...and other parts of the country as well.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Hopefully back to the third world hellholes they came from. Ok maybe not, we need to pair the evictions with brutal crackdowns on those who employ illegals - hire one? Your business gets shut down and we use the asset forfeiture money to expel more illegals and punish more employers.
We all wish that would happen!

Old 03-28-2015, 01:23 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,513,348 times
Quote:
We all wish that would happen!

Why am I not allowed to up vote this? I don't understand why I'm not allowed to up vote individual postings. This is a BS rule on this site. FYI, I tried up voting you, Interlude, and John. Won't allow me.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
What I am talking about and what the article talks about is overcrowded, dangerous illegal rentals, homes where people are crammed in like Sardines. I know most apts on LI are illegal apts, and obviously its impossible to get rid of all of them. I think the Village said they aren't focusing on a home divided into a few illegal apts. It is the "flophouses", which are boarding houses where there can be more than 20 people in one house, people stacked up on top of eachother in rooms, often with illegal kitchen setups as well which are a fire hazard. Yes many are occupied by illegal immigrants. They came here illegally and send most of the money they get back home, while they live in this squalor. Why do you think they are so many "multiservices" (Money Wiring stores) in Westbury and other towns with this problem?
If you watched the story you would see those are the situations they are talking about. Yes people who live in Westbury (and New Cassel) are fed up with the illegals, the loitering, public intoxication, trash piling up, crime, loud music, rice burners,etc. I do not feel sorry for these people, they made the decision to come here illegally and live like they do, and I'm pretty sure they won't get deported when the homes are shut down, but simply relocate to another part of LI where these homes exist. I wish they would go back to their own countries and get in line and come here the right way, but that's a Federal issue and we can see how the Feds are laying out the welcome mat for them.
Getting rid of the illegal housing will at least make a dent in the QOL issues in my area. I'm glad to see others in Westbury feel the same way. And yes it helps personally since I am not able to relocate to a better area like Bellmore at this time. If it means less gangbangers loitering around and even possibly a few bodegas closing then that's a huge step of progress. This is all part of the big picture of the area revitalization, no it will never be "hot" for families wanting to buy a home here, but at least we can make it a better place for singles and young couples to live. And more of a destination. We have new places on Post Ave now that aren't bodegas, so I know the town is working hard to clean up the image.
Now all we need is some more cooperation from the LIRR, but that's another subject.
As soon as I saw the Bravo Supermarket open up here, I realized that my area is only catering to the issue.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Why am I not allowed to up vote this? I don't understand why I'm not allowed to up vote individual postings. This is a BS rule on this site. FYI, I tried up voting you, Interlude, and John. Won't allow me.
You have to spread the rep around. So no one plays faves.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
You have to spread the rep around. So no one plays faves.
That's a bs policy. If I like several comments a person makes, I should be able to give pts for them. It's not like these points are accounted for in the "real world".

Old 03-28-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
So true agree! I just hope that instead of just focusing on that type of housing that they do more!! Because if they don't then the people that are evicted from these "flophouses" will cause trouble probably as they will have no place to go. I say if illegals live in these homes & they crack down on those homes...then they should deport them & send them away from here or they might just be living on the streets of Westbury & be outside all the time causing trouble. We have enough problems on LI already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island