Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:09 AM

24 posts, read 26,289 times

Advertisements

We will be making the move up to LI from the Charleston,SC area early summer. We are a family of 4 with children currently in elementary and middle school. Merrick, Massapequa, Rockville Center, Wantagh, Bellmore are the areas we have been looking into.

We have visited the area recently, and are trying to narrow down the above areas based on school districts, youth athletics and programs, proximity to water (we enjoy fishing and boating). School districts and taxes seem confusing as everything changes from block to block in those areas. Work will be in the Hempstead/Hicksville area so commute time won't be to much of a factor us. Any recommendations or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 08:41 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,998,603 times
What's your budget?

Old 11-17-2015, 08:51 AM

24 posts, read 26,289 times
500-700k

Old 11-17-2015, 09:01 AM

39 posts, read 63,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCarolinatoLI View Post
500-700k
Syosset...check the northern parts of LI, they're much nicer. Great schools in Syosset. You have beach rights on both shores. You'd be closer to the LI Sound, but the ocean is a short drive from anywhere on the island.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:05 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,068,986 times
Add Seaford and Massapequa Park to your list. Seaford is the town between Wantagh and Massapequa.

Syosset and Plainview are essentially landlocked in eastern Nassau (or as close to it as you get on an island) but offer top-notch schools.

*Hint* When searching on MLS, search by school district instead of town. It'll make your life easier.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:54 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
In the area from Merrick to Massapequa, you will want to stay south of Jerusalem Avenue. I'd vote for Wantagh north of Sunrise Highway unless something is available between Sunrise and Merrick Rd between Wantagh Parkway and Wantagh Avenue.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:54 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,786,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
In the area from Merrick to Massapequa, you will want to stay south of Jerusalem Avenue. I'd vote for Wantagh north of Sunrise Highway unless something is available between Sunrise and Merrick Rd between Wantagh Parkway and Wantagh Avenue.
Whats wrong w North Merrick and North Bellmore homes located north of Jerusalem Ave?

Old 11-17-2015, 11:05 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Whats wrong w North Merrick and North Bellmore homes located north of Jerusalem Ave?
Generally nothing, I probably oversimplified while trying to help the OP stay in the school districts they cited or were recommended. North Merrick and North Bellmore actually go north of Southern State Parkway to North Jerusalem Avenue. (See? It's getting complicated already.) Wantagh and Seaford school districts only go as far north as Jerusalem Avenue even if the areas north of there are called North Wantagh and North Seaford but are actually in the Levittown SD. In Massapequa, the school district actually ends south of Jerusalem Avenue, and the Plainedge SD sticks in there a bit too.

District maps can be googled, so I'd be sure to do that if I wanted a house in (or out of) a specific district.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:32 PM

159 posts, read 193,095 times
I have to say although it's a north shore town and the taxes are high but the schools are excellent elementary, middle, and high School close to Hempstead and not too far from Hicksville. 600k-700k very possible close to Manhattan, 2 movie theaters multiple grocery stores. THERE ARE THINGS WRONG! but it's nothing you cant deal with. You get a lot for your money and it's a really safe town and its on the water. Port Washington & Manhasset. South shore I would say Floral park is doable to your work a solid hour easy but it's nice and taxes aren't as bad and the school system is really good. Check NICHE.com. Here's a link as to why you should look more North Shore Where Are Long Island's Best High Schools? 2015 Rankings...

The majority of that list is in your price range and near the water map out proximity to your jobs but schools sell homes more often than not and if the schools great that makes the location great thats my rule of thumb anyway. Long Island school rankings, 2014-15

Also Valley Stream great taxes good schools it's a hidden gem. feels a little vacated to me though
Happy Hunting.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:46 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
^^^Only problem is they don't teach punctuation in the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island