Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 09:50 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mks32913 View Post
thank you,

I believe Harborfields SD comprises of Greenlawn and Centerport towns? Where should we looking for houses in the 600-700k range? Did you end up buying in Harborfields?
There's also a portion of Huntington that goes to Harborfields as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 10:01 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,540 times
Is the commute via train or driving?

Commuting by train from Harborfields is similar to HHH...of course it depends where exactly in each district you are but in general, it's a similar commute. In Harborfields most people use the Huntington station. In HHH, people use either Cold Spring Harbor, Huntington, Deer Park, Wyandanch or Farmingdale stations, depending on where they live.

Driving is much more convenient & quicker from HHH. No comparison.

Oh in HHH you also have the option of taking the bus from Pinelawn in Melville...its a little known secret that people here love!

But with a budget of $600-700k, you will have many more choices in Harborfields...the area you liked (Norma Ln) is considered the Caledonia section and most houses will be more than that unless they're tiny and/or need a lot of work. The outer portions of the Caledonia section do have some smaller houses that would fall into that price range but not sure what kind of house you're expecting to buy.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:21 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Is the commute via train or driving?

Commuting by train from Harborfields is similar to HHH...of course it depends where exactly in each district you are but in general, it's a similar commute. In Harborfields most people use the Huntington station. In HHH, people use either Cold Spring Harbor, Huntington, Deer Park, Wyandanch or Farmingdale stations, depending on where they live.

Driving is much more convenient & quicker from HHH. No comparison.

Oh in HHH you also have the option of taking the bus from Pinelawn in Melville...its a little known secret that people here love!

But with a budget of $600-700k, you will have many more choices in Harborfields...the area you liked (Norma Ln) is considered the Caledonia section and most houses will be more than that unless they're tiny and/or need a lot of work. The outer portions of the Caledonia section do have some smaller houses that would fall into that price range but not sure what kind of house you're expecting to buy.
They'd probably have more choices in HHH within their price range just based on inventory within each district. HHH = bigger district, more homes, more choices.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:35 AM

11 posts, read 19,819 times
Thank you for your replies, what are the neighborhoods in Dix Hills you think are in my price range? South of LIE but not in Wheatley Heights maybe?

Old 05-20-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your replies, what are the neighborhoods in Dix Hills you think are in my price range? South of LIE but not in Wheatley Heights maybe?
South of the LIE in Dix Hills doesn't matter anymore, as long as you're west of of deer park ave and still relatively close to the LIE. Some of the nicest neighborhoods are actually just south of the LIE. And south of the LIE in Melville is very nice- again, some of the nicest neighborhoods are there.

What sort of house are you expecting to buy? How big? Turnkey? What size property?

Old 05-20-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
They'd probably have more choices in HHH within their price range just based on inventory within each district. HHH = bigger district, more homes, more choices.
Sounds like neighborhood is important to the OP and the top neighborhoods really tend to have large houses on 1 acre lots. Houses in the $600-700k price range are just not available in many neighborhoods in Dix Hills (unless it's a major total gut renovation). Whereas in Harborfields, $600-700k buys you a house in some of the most desirable areas.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:01 PM
HIS

146 posts, read 279,872 times
I think Syosset will also work for you. It has easy access to both Northern Pkwy and LIE.

Also, you can drive to Hicksville and get to Penn in 45 mins...and the trains from Hicksville to Penn are like every 20 mins or so because there are two lines that go through hicksville.

So in Syosset you will get a great SD, a great commute to the city and a great commute for your wife. Syosset is only 10 mins west of Dix Hills.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:03 PM

Looking for an older house and definitely not turkey, but not TLC too..I'm ok with replacing the kitchen, floor etc if they are in bad shape. I would prefer the 1 acre property as I have a feeling that will keep the property prices up. In terms of house type I'm ok with Ranch, Farm Ranch or Colonial (not sure if that's what you were referring to)

Old 05-20-2015, 01:04 PM

Syosset will too far for my wife as she has to be at work at 7am at Stony Brook

Old 05-20-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Looking for an older house and definitely not turkey, but not TLC too..I'm ok with replacing the kitchen, floor etc if they are in bad shape. I would prefer the 1 acre property as I have a feeling that will keep the property prices up. In terms of house type I'm ok with Ranch, Farm Ranch or Colonial (not sure if that's what you were referring to)
How many bedrooms? Is 3 on one level & 2 on another level ok? Do you need a basement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island