Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 11:26 PM

26 posts, read 65,858 times

Advertisements

saw a house that is two houses (each is 1 acre house) from NSP. It is about 400 ft from the NSP. Will the noise be an issue?
The day we toured the house was not the busy time, we could hear some traffic noise but not much (similar to the tree sound from the wind), and there is no sound inside the house.
Will this scare of most future resale buyers?

Last edited by flybird2; 06-06-2015 at 11:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 11:34 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybird2 View Post
saw a house that is two houses (each is 1 acre house) from NSP. It is about 400 ft from the NSP. Will the noise be an issue?
The day we toured the house was not the busy time, we could hear some traffic noise but not much (similar to the tree sound from the wind), and there is no sound inside the house.
Will this scare of most future resell buyers?
Go back during rush hour and sit there for 20 minutes.

There are sound barriers...maybe they're working.

As far as resale goes...I wouldn't buy it, but another buyer would probably love being so close to a parkway. All you need is one buyer.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:42 AM

22,667 posts, read 36,779,658 times
You're questioning it, so what do you think the next potential buyer will do? But like previous poster said it only takes one buyer.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:59 AM

883 posts, read 3,718,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Go back during rush hour and sit there for 20 minutes.

There are sound barriers...maybe they're working.

As far as resale goes...I wouldn't buy it, but another buyer would probably love being so close to a parkway. All you need is one buyer.
Agreed- when we were house hunting there were houses practically right next to the LIE/NSP where you could hear surprisingly little traffic noise...and there were parts of the neighborhood much further away where the noise was surprisingly loud. It all depends on acoustics- and sound barriers can help a lot. You really need to sit in the backyard & listen during rush hour- it's the only way to know for sure.

As for resale, I agree that all you need is one buyer. There will be buyers who won't even look at the house, but there will also be buyers who really don't mind the noise at all. It may take a bit longer to sell, but if it's in a desirable neighborhood it *will* eventually sell. As long as it's priced right of course- so make sure you don't overpay lol!!!

In my area, even houses that literally back to the LIE/NSP can sell for $1mil+...I've even seen them for close to $2mil!! They probably take a little longer to sell overall, but I can think of at least 2 houses that backed to the NSP or LIE that sold within the first week of listing. There was even a bidding war on one house!! Of course they were priced right and in turnkey condition...in my area, houses that need a lot of work tend to linger regardless of their location.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:42 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
I had a neighbor who moved into my former neighborhood from upstate NY. She stopped a group of us and asked us questions prior to buying how we coped with the noise. We all asked. "What noise?" P.S. She bought the house and 5 years later the subject came up and she said the same thing, What noise?.

Depending upon where it is the noise can take on a gentle "wooshing" and you won't hear it. Follow the advice of others and then make your decision..

Old 06-07-2015, 08:00 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I had a neighbor who moved into my former neighborhood from upstate NY. She stopped a group of us and asked us questions prior to buying how we coped with the noise. We all asked. "What noise?" P.S. She bought the house and 5 years later the subject came up and she said the same thing, What noise?.

Depending upon where it is the noise can take on a gentle "wooshing" and you won't hear it. Follow the advice of others and then make your decision..
Great point. You adjust to it and it's eventually white noise to most people living there.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:05 AM

Also I'll add that being able to SEE the traffic makes a bigger difference to me than being able to hear it (lol imo 'gentle woosh' can be sort of relaxing). In my area many houses along the NSP don't have a sound barrier so the noise is very loud *and* you can see the traffic. And while you would expect the LIE to be louder, many parts have a sound barrier so traffic is muffled and invisible lol. It entirely depends on the house.

And if a house is near some other busy road it can actually be louder & visually more unappealing than being near a portion of the NSP/LIE with a sound barrier. Again, it really all depends on the house.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Great point. You adjust to it and it's eventually white noise to most people living there.
True...with the NSP/LIE you don't get a lot of the jarring traffic noise...honking, stop & go at red lights, etc. I have been in friends' backyards and even after a few minutes, I stop noticing it. Of course, this is entirely personal- I'm sure there are people out there who fixate on it because it bothers then so much. Lol, if you're one of those people, pass on the house. Otherwise, weigh the pros/cons against other houses you see & make your own decision!

Old 06-07-2015, 08:42 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,073,293 times
Quote:
I am sure price will reflect on location. How much cheaper is the question. 20% less? 30% less? 40% less?

I've seen houses that is backed next to the LIRR that are discounted 40% less than comparable house 2-3 blocks away.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I am sure price will reflect on location. How much cheaper is the question. 20% less? 30% less? 40% less?

I've seen houses that is backed next to the LIRR that are discounted 40% less than comparable house 2-3 blocks away.
Yes the agent and/or appraiser should be able to tell you how much less a house right next to the LIE/NSP typically sells for. This probably depends on the area- around here where there is 1 acre zoning and lots of trees separating your property from the highway, it seems like houses go for maybe max 10% less, if that. But I would think if you have a small property & if the cars are like literally *right* in your backyard, then you would get a much higher discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island