Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 09:03 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS View Post
If you owe the bank 100K while the house is only worth 50K - they will not pay you 100K.

and if you owe the bank 50K and the house is worth 100K - at the very least you should get 95K.

$100,000 minus $50,000 = $95,000?

Common Core math?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 10:29 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Thank gawd for that. Anything will sell eventually, as long as the price is low and you wait long enough.
I chose the alternate method given I bought in 2005. Bend over, grab your ankles and sing a tune while the buyers pay you a lot less than the purchase price.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:23 AM
HIS

146 posts, read 279,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
$100,000 minus $50,000 = $95,000?

Common Core math?
I said that if the house is worth 100K and you owe the bank 50K = you will not sell for 50. It doesnt matter what you owe.

You want to get market value for your house and if the Market Value is 100K then at the very least you want to get 95K for the house.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:45 PM

126 posts, read 195,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
If I understand you correctly you have the following problem. You bought high and the house is not only devalued but due to fees and the loan modification fees you are 6k away from your original purchase price now. If the above is correct as stated, why would you tell the current tenants your balance? One has nothing to do with the other. Essentially you messed up due to a variety of circumstances and now you want them to pay more than the house is worth? I ask, would you do that?

Get an appraisal and accept whatever they offer you based upon that appraisal. unless they are totally unreasonable and out of the ball park.
Okay. Essentially, I didn't MESS up at all. I was laid off from my job and so was my husband, within 6 months of each other! That's not something WE caused or wanted. Get over yourself.
That was the reason for a loan mod, which was approved due to that reason.
I'm not asking them to pay more.
I love when people don't read a post fully and make stupid comments.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Are you planning to come back to LI and live in the house again?

If not, my advice is to sell, sell sell. Do it privately, not via an agent, and if they are financially qualified (that's the big thing) to buy it from you get it done. Like today.

At least you bought in 2007. If you had purchased in 2004-2005 during the run up you might be facing a $60K loss.

While prices will likely continue to climb, everything I've read says it'll be modest increases for the next few years. If you wait until 2016 the interest rates could also jump a point or two which might impact value and/or qualification criteria.
No. We're not moving back.
Bottom line, since I wrote this post I've learned that this will ultimately have to be a short sale.
It won't matter if the agent who I used to list the house as a rental, helps or not.
I am not gaining anything from the house. It sucks, but it is what it is..

Old 06-10-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Ohhhh, but this can't be! The Pollyanas on this forum keep telling us how LI home prices have just been going up UP UP!

Sell, and kiss the buyer! It's only going to get worse, as the national economy slides further into the terlit; and as more and more working and middle-class leave the Island, to be replaced by indigents; third-worlders and refugees from the City; and as property taxes climb ever higher. So many people have had to just walk away from their houses with nothing but a big deficit/bankruptcy- consider yourself lucky. Very lucky.
I see your point. It's sad, isn't it?

Old 06-10-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Your balance is only 6k less then what you paid in07/08. There's no chance whatsoever that your tenants will meet that price. Your house must've depreciated a hell of a lot more then 6k.

Doesn't sound like you are in a position to cover the gap. So just keep on planning to rent it out. And save the cost of appraisal. What it appraised for makes no difference. You have to sell at your balance.
Yes, due to the loan mod we were approved for back in 2010, the bank so nicely extended the life of the loan to a 40 year. Adjustable rate starting at 2.625% which currently it went up to 3.625% and will go up to its final cap at 4.625% next year.
The late payments, etc were added from our job loss which made the loan that we had gotten down to $368k from $385k back in 2007, but due to all the fees, it was brought to $397k to start with the loan mod...
Looks like we will have to short sell.
Even if I kept renting it, the taxes are due to go up again.
They are building a brand new fire house in the village of Lindy.. That should make the taxes go up $300 right there. Plus the headaches of finding good, qualifies tenants again ... Will be a headache while being out of state...

Old 06-10-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I'm sure you realize that the current fair market value of the house, which will be pretty close to the appraisal, is totally unrelated to the price you paid for it in 2007 and the amount you owe on it today. Selling to the current tenant can easily be done without involving a real estate agent and will net more money for you but there is no reason to believe they would be willing to pay more than anyone else for the house. If you paid $500,000 in 2007 and it's only worth $400,000 today, you're still going to need $494,000 to pay off your mortgage - the tenant is not giving it to you.
Exactly. I may have to request a short sell with the bank.
Ask the bank to waive the $25k.
I will not come close to ever profiting from this house in the next 4-5 years from now.. So.. The writing is on the wall

Old 06-10-2015, 08:36 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,411 times
Lol. All us know-it-alls at C-D, and no one recommended a short sale. :-)

Glad you spoke to the right person for that advice and hopefully they can recommend an agent or middle man that is good with negotiating those type of deals with the banks.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:58 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,634 times
Not trying to hijack, but this is related...my friend's relative bought a home during the boom, overpaid for it (even for that market), lost his job, and the house is worth about half. He stopped paying mortgage on it years ago, couldn't come to a solution with bank. He's still living there and collecting rent from two apartments in the house. How's he getting away with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island