Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 03:05 PM

84 posts, read 229,552 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are in contract for this house in the Town of North Hempstead. The listing agent has specified that the deck and the bathroom in the basement do not have COs. My husband and I accepted that as part of the terms. See below for my questions:

1) Both the deck AND the bathroom show up on nassauproperty.gov website search. It is public record. Does that mean the current tax already include both on the property tax bill?

2) Currently the basement is unfinished. We have plan to finish it and use it for entertainment or recreation. How much would it add on my current property tax billy? The bill is quite high as is. Is it necessary to do permit?

Please advise. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 05:43 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyang427 View Post
Hi, my husband and I are in contract for this house in the Town of North Hempstead. The listing agent has specified that the deck and the bathroom in the basement do not have COs. My husband and I accepted that as part of the terms. See below for my questions:

1) Both the deck AND the bathroom show up on nassauproperty.gov website search. It is public record. Does that mean the current tax already include both on the property tax bill?

2) Currently the basement is unfinished. We have plan to finish it and use it for entertainment or recreation. How much would it add on my current property tax billy? The bill is quite high as is. Is it necessary to do permit?

Please advise. Thanks!

1). A reasonable person would conclude that is the case however we are dealing with Nassau County here....

2). Search for threads about the TNH and permits and the answer is an EMPHATIC " by permit only." If for any reason you have to sell the House your life will be a living hell, if you do not have the permit. I will qualify it further by saying that if you insist on taking your chances don't think about installing a bathroom down there or a kitchen. You can get away with a rec room if the inspector does not have to come into the house BUT a bathroom and kitchen create all kinds of problems.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:21 PM

63 posts, read 222,628 times
Anyone know the difference between a rec room and a finished basement? Are they taxed the same?

Old 07-16-2013, 11:12 AM

84 posts, read 229,552 times
Thanks nuts2uiam.

I have that same concern too. We are seriously debating the benefit of saving the permit cost now vs dealing with future headaches. I also read somewhere on the threads that if we submit the permits now, we will abide by today's code. The code might change in the future. We might run into more of a complication in the future.

I am just wondering how much will i spend on just permit alone. My friend spent 10k on permits and his house is in Brooklyn. I can't even imagine how big of a permit bill i will be seeing...

Old 07-16-2013, 12:36 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmwjuly View Post
Anyone know the difference between a rec room and a finished basement? Are they taxed the same?
Any living area is taxed at the same rate.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:34 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,297 times
I'm not in North Hempstead, but -- as posted on here before -- I refused to buy my current home until the former owners got the proper COs for the finished basement and basement bath. (Things like decks and non-permanent sheds are often excluded in the basic wording in the sales contract, with everyone looking the other way.) The process for the sellers was not a "living hell" described by another poster, but they did have to get an architect to do drawings, submit paperwork, undergo plumbing and electrical inspections and pay fees to legalize the basement & bath. We just got a big reduction in our overall assessment, so this should more than offset any tax increase for the legalized space.

If I were you, I would make the sellers legalize the bathroom before you close so they absorb the cost. As far as your proposed finished basement goes, you're going to need certain permits that will alert the town that you are creating taxable space . . . that is, unless you intend to do the work yourself or find contractors willing to work under the radar.

I'd prefer to have everything legal. As far as the high taxes go, this is Long Island. What else can one expect?

Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyang427 View Post
Thanks nuts2uiam.

I have that same concern too. We are seriously debating the benefit of saving the permit cost now vs dealing with future headaches. I also read somewhere on the threads that if we submit the permits now, we will abide by today's code.TRUE The code might change in the future. We might run into more of a complication in the future.

I am just wondering how much will i spend on just permit alone. My friend spent 10k on permits and his house is in Brooklyn. I can't even imagine how big of a permit bill i will be seeing...
As a former TNH homeowner, I can only speak with authority pertaining to the TNH and how they can and do make life a living hell if you don't have permits.

Take my case. I had been fenced in by neighbors since I purchased the house this way, now almost 20 years ago. The Hubby and I decided to put in a fence across the rear when our next door neighbor put in a new vinyl fence and we wanted it to match theirs as they were removing the same chain link that was across our back. I contracted with a fence company paid for the permit $50 plus some mathematical equation they figure for you that has something to do with so much per running foot of fencing. The total cost was just under $80. No big deal. I submitted the copy of the survey that I had obtained when we bought the house and you can imagine my shock when I got turned down because I had not obtained permits for an a/c central unit. Why not? Because we bought the house this way. I just knew it was a mistake because we were able to close and nothing was mentioned and we had a clear title insurance document.

Well surprise to us. TNH was not hearing any of it. We would not get our fence permit until the a/c was legalized. Even told us that we should not have been able to close when we did.!!!! Thus began the Odyssey of the permits. We were penalized for failure to obtain the permit in the first place so the $50 became $50 x 4 = $200

We had to hire an electrical underwriter inspector for $99 who said the disconnect was rusty and needed to be replaced and the circuit breaker had to go from a 40 amp to a 30 amp. (new codes) So I failed the inspection and had to pay a NASSAU county only licensed electrician to repair it and submit his NASSAU license number on the repair certificate that I had to fax to the Electrical Underwriter. Never mind that we had a friend who is a licensed NYC electrician that would have done the job for us for a couple of beers. Once that was done it was another $95 for the re inspection by the underwriter. The electrician was $350. The final kicker was that I had to have the work done knowing I would not be approved because the side yard was infringed upon by 4 inches and guess what? That too required a variance which again was $200 and it was possible that after all the work was done, to bring the unit up to code, I could be turned down due to side yard infringement. I had one ace in the hole, which was my neighbors all signed letters to the effect that they had no objections to my unit. If I moved the unit to where they said it would be legal, it would be closer to the 3 contiguous neighbors' living space and they did not want that. The variance was approved and the a/c was legalized. When all was said and done, it took so long that the fence permit expired and I simply decided to skip it, after this ordeal.

The only good that came out of it was that this could have and no doubt would have, at best delayed and at worst possibly caused us to lose a contract on our house. We sold our house with all the ducks in a row but that experience cost us $1300.

My case was not isolated and I know that you have researched the permits in TNH thread here so I will again state "Get the Permits". The permit itself is not terrible, as I said in 2011 they were $50. It was the penalty that killed it. I have heard that permits in the city are expensive. They will delay you no doubt as they have to come and inspect but I strongly advise to get them.

I would also suggest that you look to TNH residents for guidance in this matter as unless you live in the town or have direct interaction with someone in such a position you simply can't speak with any authority. My one other comment is that there are a few Realtors, Elke and Tom, to name two that really do know their stuff, as they have guided many buyers and sellers through the process in many towns as Realtors. Good Luck.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 12,188 times
Does anyone know how much it would coast to close a few open permits in the TNH?
Central A/C unit
2 Bay windows
Rear deck patio
4 ft vinyl gate
Front portico
Permits were filed thru an architect, done all up to code but never closed.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:50 PM

There is an A and a B answer. Assuming all things were properly permitted all you need to do is call them to schedule a final inspection. No charge. That is the A answer. The B answer is depending upon how old the permits are you may need to bring things up to the current codes, and that can be a whole bucket of worms.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:51 AM

2 posts, read 12,188 times
why would a home owner apply for a variance for a front portico 2014 when the permit for the portico was filed 2013?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island