Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 08:27 AM

84 posts, read 229,552 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am a first time home owner looking to improve my yard. My backyard is sloped down slightly. I am hoping to build a retaining wall to keep the soils in and prevent run offs. I did some research and learned that I can probably build a retaining wall myself. That will help a lot as we dont have that much money to have professionals to come for everything.The danger in that is everything always looks easy on videos and when it comes to time to execute, I m concern I might not know everything. From your experience, is it an easy DIY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 12:44 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
While I have no direct experience building one, I have some experience with soil retention and water. Unless, you have a full understanding of the slope and what the impact of changing it will do relative to water and run off, you might be biting off a bit more than you can chew. Of course it is understood that I have no idea of the actual property so I could be making a mountain out of a molehill. For example, my former neighbors replaced a sidewalk that was on the common side of our homes next to the garage. We never had a problem until they replaced the sidewalk then we had a ton of problems. The slight pitch difference caused the side yard to become soaked when the downspouts released the rain. We wound up having to install a couple of drywells and a drain to avoid basement water seepage.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:18 AM

84 posts, read 229,552 times
Thanks! I am now revisiting this topic because my house is slowly settling. Did any of you go through the process (putting in permit, hiring engineer and contractor) for a retaining wall? Any recommendations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: